2018 Movies (Of Note) So Far

The good stuff is starting to hit theaters.  And there have already been some excellent films out in early summer (RBG, Mr. Rogers) The notable films I've seen so far are:

1.  RBG.  A serious and fun (and seriously funny in many places) documentary about the amazing Notorious RBG.  I was really happy to learn so much I was completely unaware of regarding Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  Don't really see Oscar win, put probably a nomination.

2.  Won't You Be My Neighbor?  I grew up on this show.  Just the thought of Daniel Stripe-ed Tiger makes me melt into a puddle.  Again -- I had no idea about some of the details of the show's genesis and Fred Rogers personal history and commitment to his cause.  This is definitely an Oscar contender.

3.  Three Identical Strangers.  Another Oscar contender, although I slightly favor Mr. Rogers.  I still can't get over that this actually happened.  The pacing of the revelations was really outstanding.  Some of the interviews with the people in the story seemed somewhat unnecessarily contrived, but that's my only quibble.

4.  Leave No Trace.  This film will sadly probably go the way of excellent The Florida Project of 2017, that is, not even nominated.  The subject matter is difficult, the pacing is slow, so it probably won't make a big mark.  I hope I'm wrong though.  The character portrayals and the flow of events as they connect to nature is really worth seeing.     

5.  BlacKkKlansman.  Loved this film.  Will definitely get an Oscar nomination.  Nothing else of note that is comparable has been released yet, though, so who knows.  It teaches, but it keeps things engaging and, at times, really light.  The really light scenes were a welcome breath of fresh air.  The dance scene in the bar to It's Too Late to Turn Back Now is an outstanding example.  Adam Driver seemed a little miscast to me.

6.  Possible notable films I've missed and/or haven't seen yet:  Mission Impossible, Incredibles 2, Sorry to Bother You, Blindspotting, Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood, Crazy Rich Asians.

Great list - First Reformed and Eighth Grade are also getting some attention ... Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot looks interesting

I loved "Sorry to Bother You".  It was the best movie I had seen in some time.

"Sorry to Bother You" is next on my list.

I recently caught Paddington 2 on a flight - really good, and I saw it made some "Best of 2018" lists.

Klinker said:
I loved "Sorry to Bother You".  It was the best movie I had seen in some time.

I liked it, too. Hoping to see the Spike Lee film this weekend. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.