DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

Town Hall (not deli) reviews so far:

Klobuchar, meh. Kind of a flat delivery and didn’t seem to really click with the audience. I only watched part of it but what I saw was kind of boring. I don’t see her ever getting traction in this race.

Warren was impressive. Energetic, forceful, well reasoned and articulated answers. She’s good on the stump. She’s a bit too far left for my tastes but I gotta say she is formidable and could go far in this race.

Now watching Bernie. He’s being Bernie, you know he’s not my cup of tea but he’s certainly strident and well-versed on the issues he cares about. He does look old and crazy as per usual but that’s just Bernie I guess.  

nan said:

STANV said:
The non-candidate.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/18/biden-dorchester-2020-1282644
 He's hanging out with unions.  I guess he found one that does not remember how Obama abandoned them and how Joe was a cheerleader for NAFTA and the TPP.  It will be interesting to see who they endorse.  

You have no idea of how the global economy works. You're likely a beneficiary of it by being able to post using a very affordable computer or cell phone.

A primary objective of TPP is to:

The United States spent eight years negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). This 12-country Pacific Rim trade pact was partly designed to build an economic and diplomatic alliance that would keep China, which had been excluded from the deal, in check.

The chickens are coming home to roost: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-left-our-allies-at-the-altar-now-hes-mad-theyre-moving-on/2019/04/22/fbccc7e8-653b-11e9-82ba-fcfeff232e8f_story.html

This thread has had dozens of posts per day for ages...last night there were 5 major-candidate town halls and we have crickets?

Am I in the Twilight Zone or something?  

When I saw the line up of town halls on CNN - I thought they were just repeats and they were only airing them all in one night - so I didn't tune in.

I think it's a great concept to do it this way - no one can be easily influenced by the other.  

I have to review them better in order to comment.

sbenois said:
In other news, Bernie the Milllionaire thinks that the Boston Bomber should have the right to vote.

because he’d vote for Bernie.

Smedley said:
This thread has had dozens of posts per day for ages...last night there were 5 major-candidate town halls and we have crickets?
Am I in the Twilight Zone or something?  

I watched most of it but tuned in late to catch the last half of Klobuchar. I was curious to see her as she is not getting much coverage although I caught a bit of her recently on Morning Joe. I agree with your earlier comment Meh.

Loved Warren. I've watched her appearances over the years but particularly loved her on the Senate floor. Nevertheless she persisted. She gets to me on two levels. Her specific plans and her delivery. I love her energy and enthusiasm which would be a great contrast in a debate with Trump.

I was also once again impressed with Kamala Harris. As different as her style is from Elizabeth Warren's both women make me feel that you could throw them the keys. Both seemed quick with their answers. Neither woman seems vague about her opinions. I did get a different impression of her path to Medicare for All when I watched her in an earlier Town Hall.

Bernie, not sure he did as well as I've seen him do. The questions were tough and the audience did not seem to be as enthused as his recent FOX group. The question on prisoners voting was phrased to include terrorists and men who have assaulted women. I had a problem with his answer. Also disliked the question about his opinions in the 70s. I believe the questioner was comparing his view to communism.  Another odd one was about free tuition garnered from a tax on the wealthy with the argument that college often leads to wealth so.... He also had Chris Cuomo who seemed slightly antagonistic compared to moderators such as Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper.

I missed Pete but I will see if I can catch both Mayor Pete and Klobuchar On Demand.

I watched most of it.   In order of good to eh:

Mayor Pete: A.   Sincere.  Very articulate.  Love Mayor Pete.   Fresh face.  Fresh ideas.

Amy : B.   Policy wonk plays no games.  I found her very engaging.  In a debate, I think she would rip Trump's lungs apart and feed them to piranhas onstage.      Love her.   I would vote for her in a second.

Warren: C-.   Unlistenable.   Can't stand her.   Every word out of her mouth reminds me of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies.   Way too preachy.    

Bernie D-.   Let's make sure the Boston bomber can vote!   Yikes.   Gerald Ford is smiling right now.  Even the people in Eastern Europe were perplexed by that one.   

Kamala Harris: F.  Awful.  A panderer's panderer.   Unlistenable.   Please end your campaign right now Kamala.

I am sure that Nan will be pleased to see that Bernie didn't come in dead last.    

I still have to watch Harris and Pete which I recorded but in general I’m also bearish on Harris. She has name recognition as a top contender right now, plus she has a strong legislative background and she’s not an old white male, which are pluses. But idk man, every time I see/hear her I’m underwhelmed. If she were a stock I would sell short. 

I got hooked on Harris watching C Span. She uses her prosecutorial background when she questions candidates, she is a ruthless opponent which may not come across in these friendly, getting to know you, Town Hall events. I think she would destroy Trump with relish. (Deli pun intended.)

Gail Collins today on Joe Biden, and the field in general, is worth a read: Biden Joins the Really Big Crowd.

Even Ms. Nan might enjoy this one, given the part about Mayor Pete.

I can see a Joe & Pete ticket. If that doesn’t appeal to the Midwest swing state blue-collar voter, I don’t know what will.

But 50/50 that Biden flames out somehow well before next summer.

I wonder what happened with the rumor of announcing Stacey Abrams as a running mate.  Sounds to me like she had no interest in running in the #2 position.

It would be great if people announced their running mate prior to the primaries.  

jamie said:
I wonder what happened with the rumor of announcing Stacey Abrams as a running mate.  Sounds to me like she had no interest in running in the #2 position.
It would be great if people announced their running mate prior to the primaries.  

that would eliminate all the presidential candidates from consideration as VP

yeah - i was going to add that, but most people running for top office don't settle for #2.  With the # of people in the race - it certainly seems like a good idea to team up - just comes down to who will accept the downgrade first.

Biden/Harris?  Here's an interesting combo - Warren/Booker.

jamie said:

She was interviewed awhile back and said there was no truth to the rumor and if she ran it would not be for second place. I on the other hand would throw ego aside and accept the offer. Should I announce on MOL that I'm available?

jamie said:
yeah - i was going to add that, but most people running for top office don't settle for #2.  With the # of people in the race - it certainly seems like a good idea to team up - just comes down to who will accept the downgrade first.
Biden/Harris?  Here's an interesting combo - Warren/Booker.

I like both of those tickets. Why not start a thread with the assumption and send a screen shot to all parties? I saw Biden get a pizza today with Joe 2020 on it. Do you think we could get one made with those pairings at Bunny's?

Morganna said:
Well, "Run Joe Run." He might need his own thread.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/joe-biden-announces-2020-presidential-bid/vi-BBWhl9M

Of the candidates I have looked at, Biden would be my very last choice.  He is just awful.  He's too old, his ideas are too old and his practice of touching people (sometimes intimately) without their permission deeply creeps me out.  I would probably vote for him if he was the nominee but it would only be because I would vote for anyone who might replace Trump and I would definitely feel uncomfortable doing so.

jamie said:
yeah - i was going to add that, but most people running for top office don't settle for #2.  

LBJ

George H. W. Bush

Al Gore

Joe Biden

Hearing about Joe Biden announcing, made me think of a classic rock band announcing a summer tour.  Journey, REO Speedwagon, along those lines.

All of them have their pluses and minuses.

Is Beto's 15 minutes over?

nohero said:
Hearing about Joe Biden announcing, made me think of a classic rock band announcing a summer tour.  Journey, REO Speedwagon, along those lines.

Would you buy a ticket?

nohero said:

August 21st at the PNC Bank Arts Center!

STANV said:

nohero said:
 Would you buy a ticket?

Usually not interested in just the "Greatest Hits".

STANV said:

I don't see Beto sustaining the initial spark. While I'm the last one to complain about MSM, with so many candidates, they are treating each new one as the flavor of the week. I wasn't convinced about Beto even with the initial jumping on the table intro.

ridski said:

nohero said:
 August 21st at the PNC Bank Arts Center!

Don't Stop Believin' as you Roll With The Changes.

Morganna said:

STANV said:
 I don't see Beto sustaining the initial spark. While I'm the last one to complain about MSM, with so many candidates, they are treating each new one as the flavor of the week. I wasn't convinced about Beto even with the initial jumping on the table intro.

Running against Ted Cruz is a lot different from running against the personalities in the Dem Primary.  For one thing, they have personalities.

STANV said:

nohero said:
 Would you buy a ticket?

Probably not, but I would go if someone handed me one.

I like this comment from new Presidential candidate Seth Moulton.

about Trump claiming to be the target of the “single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history,” Moulton responded that “as the Representative of Salem, MA, I can confirm that this is false.”

Perfect timing as I am once again looking at homes for sale in Salem.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!