DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

Baldwin said:
The person who can defeat trump is........Michael Bloomberg.

great. Another authoritarian megalomaniac billionaire. 

ml1 said:

Baldwin said:

... from New York ...

During the 2008 campaign when some of the younger candidates were introducing themselves to political leaders for support, Bloomberg had a meeting with one and concluded he was the most arrogant person he (Bloomberg) had ever met. It was Barack Obama.

I do like Joe Biden, -smart, knowledgeable, experienced, courageous with good values BUT I just gotta say, -if I hear him tell one more story, one more freakin' time about "Ya know, I remember when my old man back in Scranton Pennsylvania...". Please Joe, please just stop that.

Kamala and Beto would be a really interesting and brutal campaign that they just might be able to win. They could be "The chefs of the future" (TV reference).

apple44 said:
During the 2008 campaign when some of the younger candidates were introducing themselves to political leaders for support, Bloomberg had a meeting with one and concluded he was the most arrogant person he (Bloomberg) had ever met. It was Barack Obama.

here's how Gothamist described it:

Mayor Mike Bloomberg, a humble civil servant famous for his regular Joe lifestyle and folksy demeanor, simply doesn't cotton to big shot D.C. politicians who look down their noses on small-town mayors. 
http://gothamist.com/2010/11/08/humble_bloomberg_appalled_by_obamas.php

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:
For the life of me, I don't know why the failed presidential candidate Biden holds so much appeal as a possible candidate.
I don't get it either.  I don't think someone should be disqualified out of hand for his/her age.  But while there are a lot of things to like about Biden, I just think that a guy who grew up in his era is likely to have blind spots regarding the changes that are still taking place with regard to the rights of women and people of color.  And there isn't anything he's done or sad lately that makes me think he has a real understanding of those issues, which are going to be critical to winning in 2020 and beyond.

On Meet the Press as VP he came out in favor of Marriage Equality before Obama had come out in favor of it. That actually pushed Obama to change his position.

gerritn said:

ml1 said:

Baldwin said:
 ... from New York ...

You all still do not get the depth of the underlying antisemitism in this country.

Joe Biden is the man who as a U.S. Senator took the train home to Delaware every night to be with his kids.

While he is remembered by many for the Clarence Thomas-Anita Hill fiasco he should be remembered as Chairman of the Committee when it shot down the nomination of extreme conservative Bork.

At Condolezza Rice's confirmation hearing he advised her:

"Whatever you do, don't listen to anything Donald Rumsfeld says". 

At a debate among Democratic Presidential hopefuls he said:

"Every sentence Rudy Giuliani's utters has three things: a noun, a verb and 9-11". From that moment on Rudy was no longer a serious candidate for President. 

Beto is interesting in that he may have already leapfrogged Booker and Harris as the strongest young candidate, at least in terms of capturing people’s imaginations. Of course he may turn out to be just a flash in the pan, but if he shows any staying power, I think that'll suck the oxygen that Booker and Harris are counting on. Similar to how Trump took Christie’s lane in ‘16.

I love Joe Biden. I don't see the blind spots. As a female voter I would trust him to protect my interests. He would relish the fight with Trump.

And he has a lovable quality.

His new pooch has him quite beloved by a lot of women in my corner of Facebook.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2018/11/19/former-vice-president-joe-biden-gets-new-four-legged-friend/

Agree 100%! I’m not sure who will be able to beat Trump, but to cast Biden as a relic from another “era” takes a lot of balls. That “era” jump started the social movements that we are seeing today led by our children and grandchildren. The nerve!!

Biden would have been great in 2016. Old, but not too old. Probably too old in 2020. 

Well I hope someone declares soon because according to Mitch McConnell you really should wait to nominate any new justices to the Supreme Court while an election is underway.

I wonder for real when the first declarations will come. As soon as anyone declares that they're running they'll make themselves a target for Trump during his rallies.

I also wonder how bitter the sniping will get within the Democratic party. 

So is anyone thinking Elizabeth Warren? Also I've often mentioned Julian Castro as a VP pick.

Morganna said:
So is anyone thinking Elizabeth Warren? Also I've often mentioned Julian Castro as a VP pick.

I almost always agree with her, but I do not think she is a good general election candidate. Reminds me a bit of Hillary. But that's what the primaries are for: see how relatable she is and perhaps she can catch fire. I would think Kamela Harris has a good shot too. And Sherrod Brown.

ml1 said:

Baldwin said:

Remember Stop and Frisk?   Lots of people will if he runs.

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:
For the life of me, I don't know why the failed presidential candidate Biden holds so much appeal as a possible candidate.
I just think that a guy who grew up in his era is likely to have blind spots regarding the changes that are still taking place with regard to the rights of women and people of color.  And there isn't anything he's done or sad lately that makes me think he has a real understanding of those issues, which are going to be critical to winning in 2020 and beyond.

The way I remember it, Biden pretty much forced Obama’s hand in promoting same sex marriage.    That puts him ahead of both BO and HRC in terms of equal rights.    As for these issues going forward, that’s what Beto would contribute.   

Baldwin said:

Instead of gifting $1.8B to Johns Hopkins he should have spent that money on creating a third party infrastructure. 

Beto couldn’t beat the spawn of the devil in the Texas senate race. How’s he gonna beat the twin spawn in the general? It seems like everyone is mulling over candidates with whom they personally  identify, instead of who they think the overall population will vote in.

annielou said:
Beto couldn’t beat the spawn of the devil in the Texas senate race. How’s he gonna beat the twin spawn in the general? It seems like everyone is mulling over candidates with whom they personally  identify, instead of who they think the overall population will vote in.

Simple:

• Obama lost Texas to Romney 41.38% to 57.17% in 2012, but he still beat Romney handily in electoral college
  • Beto lost to Cruz only 48.3% to 50.9%, so he could crush a republican candidate in electoral college in 2020

Any thoughts on Tulsi Gabbard..perhaps for VP?  Given her support of Sanders and call for the overhaul of the party structure, I suspect the DNC leadership  would rather drink hemlock than endorse her. And, she is a bit of a conundrum.  Some of her positions are controversial. I appreciate her non-interventionist philosophy and opposition to using the military for nation-building purposes but she also has demonstrated support for some other controversial figures...for example, there's that meeting with Assad.  However, she has demonstrated the ability to grow personally/socially on issues and I respect her political independence.   Even Rachel Maddow once predicted: “She is on the fast track to being very famous.”

Norman_Bates said:
Any thoughts on Tulsi Gabbard..perhaps for VP?  Given her support of Sanders and call for the overhaul of the party structure, I suspect the DNC leadership  would rather drink hemlock than endorse her. And, she is a bit of a conundrum.  Some of her positions are controversial. I appreciate her non-interventionist philosophy and opposition to using the military for nation-building purposes but she also has demonstrated support for some other controversial figures...for example, there's that meeting with Assad.  However, she has demonstrated the ability to grow personally/socially on issues and I respect her political independence.   Even Rachel Maddow once predicted: “She is on the fast track to being very famous.”

She would be a breath of fresh air and substance--finally we could vote for someone who was anti-war.  Many people vote for 3rd party candidates because they are anti-war and cannot in good consciousness vote to continue the unending wars that take money needed for infrastructure and other social programs to kill poor people all over the world.  Both Democrats and Republicans have a similar neocon foreign policy that supports imperialism--including destabilizing regime changes.  So, you can be sure that the DNC/MSM will do everything it can to make sure Gabbard gets zero support if she runs.  They will promote Hillary 2.0 in a new form, because identity politics and personality is what seems to appeal to Democrats the most, at least based on this thread--policy not so much. 

jamie said:

drummerboy said:

jamie said:
failed presidential candidate?  Not sure what you mean.  He was never a candidate.
He ran in two presidential primaries.
 I think his resume has improved a bit since those runs.

His reputation too...especially in this political climate...though it doesn't take much when DJT is POTUS.

Tangent: very satisfying to hear BHO praising Pelosi so highly in interview. She did shepherd his greatest achievement through House. And dems all seem back on board for "Nancy II - Return to Speakership."

Red_Barchetta said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:
I just think that a guy who grew up in his era is likely to have blind spots regarding the changes that are still taking place with regard to the rights of women and people of color.  And there isn't anything he's done or sad lately that makes me think he has a real understanding of those issues, which are going to be critical to winning in 2020 and beyond.
 The way I remember it, Biden pretty much forced Obama’s hand in promoting same sex marriage.    That puts him ahead of both BO and HRC in terms of equal rights.    As for these issues going forward, that’s what Beto would contribute.   

They were both pretty late to that party, and I don't think it's cynical to suggest that Biden was tasked with floating a trial balloon to see if it was safe for Obama to follow him.

I don't mean to suggest that I don't like Biden.  I just don't think he's the savior a lot of people seem to think he is.   And maybe it's ageist of me, but I really do think it's time for Biden and others to finally hand the torch to another generation to lead the country.  

to my point, both Biden and Obama waited until a majority of Americans supported same-sex marriage before they "evolved" on the issue.

ml1 said:
to my point, both Biden and Obama waited until a majority of Americans supported same-sex marriage before they "evolved" on the issue.

That's because both of them are moderates

Pretty remarkable for a Senator from Ohio.

Senator Brown Fought For Marriage Equality

Long before it was a politically popular position, Sherrod stood with LGBTQ families and couples to fight for full recognition under the law. He opposed the Defense Of Marriage Act in the 1990’s and has consistently fought against legislative efforts to deny LGBTQ Americans the right to marry whomever they love. And when the day finally came, he rejoiced with millions of Americans as the Supreme Court recognized the rights of LGBTQ couples and families across the nation.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.