Anyone using gmail with Outlook 2010 or do I have to upgrade?

Tom Reingold tried to help me but gmail/Outlook have stumped us. I've tried with both IMAP and POP. I'm trying to get away from Verizon email because of new restrictions that will go into effect on November 15 (and because Verizon email sucks, although I'm keeping them for my ISP because ... FIOS.) I am able to use Verizon with POP, although not IMAP (unless I'm doing something wrong in the configuration.)

If you are using this combination and would be willing to walk me through configuration settings by phone or messaging, please let me know and PM contact info.

verizon doesn't accept IMAP because IMAP is good. cheese But seriously, it's because IMAP encourages you to leave mail on the server, and they don't want to provide storage, whereas google has an incentive to provide it, unlike most mail providers.

I remember Outlook 2010 being difficult to get this working because their menus use weird terminology and are organized weirdly. If you try every possible combination and permutation, you can get it to work, but I suspect upgrading Outlook is a better bet. Isn't it time?

For my Gmail account I use Thunderbird. The setup is almost automatic and it works very well.

Tom_Reingold said:

verizon doesn't accept IMAP because IMAP is good. cheese But seriously, it's because IMAP encourages you to leave mail on the server, and they don't want to provide storage, whereas google has an incentive to provide it, unlike most mail providers.

I remember Outlook 2010 being difficult to get this working because their menus use weird terminology and are organized weirdly. If you try every possible combination and permutation, you can get it to work, but I suspect upgrading Outlook is a better bet. Isn't it time?

Definitely, but I am in the market for a new computer right now and our next step is to go with Office 365 anyway, which will keep us on the most current versions going forward. So I want to wait to do any upgrading until I get the new computer (probably within the next six months, but almost certainly not in time for Verizon's deadline at this point.) Plus I am almost out of hard drive space on this computer so I probably don't have enough space to upgrade anyway.

Verizon only notified users of this requirement in an email dated October 26th and it takes effect November 15th. I may just have to workaround it by sending replies from a different email address for awhile.

Very annoying!

The restriction in question is not IMAP/POP specific but rather a rule that any outgoing emails must be sent from a Verizon email address. I use a domain name email address and that is what will not be permitted after November 15th. I DO have a gmail address that I'm not currently using and could switch to that, but that doesn't help much if I can't get gmail to play with Outlook 2010.

So this might be a good time to try the new gmail interface: https://inbox.google.com

Hey, you might like it. It is weird, though. I love it.

Tom_Reingold said:

So this might be a good time to try the new gmail interface: https://inbox.google.com

Hey, you might like it. It is weird, though. I love it.

You are in serious danger of getting lots of "help me" messages from me if I do that ....

sac said:

You are in serious danger of getting lots of "help me" messages from me if I do that ....

oh oh

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.