DeNiro at the Tonys

The Soulful Mr T

(I haven't posted in All Politics in years. G-d help me.) 

I happen to be watching the Tony awards last night when Robert DeNiro got up and began his presentation by twice saying "Fcuk Trump."  It was bleeped out by the network on the live broadcast but you can see the uncensored video here.

I detest Trump as much as Bobby DeNiro does but I wonder if he's doing any good with statements like that.

One FBer posted: 

"I don’t need an education on what the Tonys are for. DeNiro represents Hollywood but of course the Broadway crowd gave a standing Ovation. Despicable behavior. Why the Dems will be crushed. The hate of the Left has been revealed...Keep showing the hate in your heart and watch what happens in November is all I am saying. And if you think DeNiro is a good spokesperson for your party, have at it."

I don't buy that talk but, will Hollywood's "fcuk Trump" moments enable the Right? Put off people who might be on the fence about Trump? Is it irresponsible?

I have to admit I responded in real time with a combination of cringing and smiling. But subtle, it ain't.




bub

There's no excuse for it.  Classless and counterproductive.  "We have a vulgar slob in the White House, let's behave just like him!"


nohero

The Tony Awards had already said much more profound things, and all DeNiro did was draw attention to himself and not the issues:

Andrew Garfield's acceptance speech, with quiet eloquence for the LGBTQ community;

Ari'el Stachel's acceptance speech, talking about his middle eastern heritage;

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas students, who made a powerful point with their rendition, which I think made a lot of those actors cry.

Things were said, but won't be heard as loudly today, because you-know-who will get the most coverage.


annielou

I think most people will recognize that DeNiro has, and always has, spoken for himself. And it is well known that he’s kind of a direct individual. Don’t Trumpers see liberals as snowflakes or something ? They’re comfortable with that characterization, so Bobby gave them a sucker punch. Personally I loved it.


Dave

I thought DeNiro was being too kind to Trump and his mobbed up family.


Harriet

I always ponder the reverse - what if a conservative had the mike at a major event and said "F- Obama"?  

Even though I dislike Trump (to put it mildly) I don't think its an appropriate way to speak of the president.

And as others posted above, it just gives Fox and friends more evidence that liberals are irrational.


joanne

See, our coverage had none of what nohero mentioned. Just de Niro, and who won major awards and their productions. A shame. LOL


annielou

The “reverse” was in effect for all eight years of the Obama administration. The overt disrespect of elected officials and the pandering to their cruder and ruder surrogates. It’s about time liberals had someone who will vent what we really feel.


drummerboy
annielou said:
The “reverse” was in effect for all eight years of the Obama administration. The overt disrespect of elected officials and the pandering to their cruder and ruder surrogates. It’s about time liberals had someone who will vent what we really feel.

Really. The abuse thrown at Obama went on for 8 straight years, and certainly included a lot worse stuff than the F word.



terp

As someone who didn't like Obama and does not like Trump: the thought that Obama put up w/ a higher level of hostility Trump has is really mind boggling. 

It's funny.  People say Trump is a fascist, Hitler, a dictator.  But you have people on shows saying all kinds of things.  Take Real Time for example. This show has featured ways of impeaching Trump from the get go.  They went from Russia right to Stormy Daniels as ways to impeach.  Would Hitler have put up with that?

Every major newspaper, cable news(with the exception of Fox), Hollywood, and a good chunk of social media is openly hostile to this president.  There were pockets that were hostile to Obama, but nothing like this.  


annielou

As I recall the media of which u speak, terp, was complicit in getting this moron elected, with round the clock free air time.


DottyParker
dave said:
I thought DeNiro was being too kind to Trump and his mobbed up family.

 They didn't feel a thing.  Ka ching!  grrr


usatoday.com:  Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner Earned More than $81 Million Last Year 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/11/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-earn-more-than-81-million/693042002/


dailymail.co.uk:  Trump Brothers Open New Bronx Golf Clubhouse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5832461/Trump-brothers-open-new-clubhouse-Bronx-golf-course-revenue-drops-international-courses.html


shoshannah
Harriet said:
I always ponder the reverse - what if a conservative had the mike at a major event and said "F- Obama"?  
Even though I dislike Trump (to put it mildly) I don't think its an appropriate way to speak of the president.
And as others posted above, it just gives Fox and friends more evidence that liberals are irrational.

 What we have now is unprecedented. He is a fascist wanna-be dictator seeking to undo our democracy. He needs to be denounced in the strongest of words. 


drummerboy
terp said:
As someone who didn't like Obama and does not like Trump: the thought that Obama put up w/ a higher level of hostility Trump has is really mind boggling. 
It's funny.  People say Trump is a fascist, Hitler, a dictator.  But you have people on shows saying all kinds of things.  Take Real Time for example. This show has featured ways of impeaching Trump from the get go.  They went from Russia right to Stormy Daniels as ways to impeach.  Would Hitler have put up with that?
Every major newspaper, cable news(with the exception of Fox), Hollywood, and a good chunk of social media is openly hostile to this president.  There were pockets that were hostile to Obama, but nothing like this.  

Are you somehow of the opinion that Trump and Obama should be treated equally by the media?

Can you give examples of hostility towards Trump that is unwarranted?

eta: In fact, it can be strongly argued that the media is pretty pro-Trump, because a lot of the coverage tends to normalize what is in fact quite aberrant behavior.


John

Interesting: Michael Moore won an Oscar for Best Documentary for "Bowling for Columbine." This was after Bush's Iraq War was "won,"

Moore used his acceptance speech to criticize Bush and the "smoking gun" lies.

He was booed by the audience.



yahooyahoo

De Niro just threw gas on the fire. I'm sure donations are flooding in for Trump and other Republican politicians/PACs.  


yahooyahoo
Harriet said:
I always ponder the reverse - what if a conservative had the mike at a major event and said "F- Obama"?  
Even though I dislike Trump (to put it mildly) I don't think its an appropriate way to speak of the president.
And as others posted above, it just gives Fox and friends more evidence that liberals are irrational.

 https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/28/politics/gallery/dissing-obama/index.html


ml1
Harriet said:
I always ponder the reverse - what if a conservative had the mike at a major event and said "F- Obama"?  
Even though I dislike Trump (to put it mildly) I don't think its an appropriate way to speak of the president.
And as others posted above, it just gives Fox and friends more evidence that liberals are irrational.

 well, there was that time Ted Nugent told Obama to suck on his machine gun.


mrincredible
terp said:
There were pockets that were hostile to Obama, but nothing like this.  

 If you think the cable "news" network with the highest viewership, hosts of some of the highest rated talk radio shows and multiple books by people like Ann Coulter are "pockets" you are deluded beyond help. There was a massive media attack on Obama for the 8 years he was in office.

And if you think Trump wouldn't lock up or silence his critics if he could you're in fairytale land. We fortunately have checks to power in the US that didn't exist in 1930s Germany. And if Herr President gets to appoint enough judges to the bench I'd be worried about those checks.


ml1

the thing about Trump re: Hitler is that literal Nazis marched in a U.S. city and Trump called them very fine people.


yahooyahoo
mrincredible said:


terp said:
There were pockets that were hostile to Obama, but nothing like this.  
 If you think the cable "news" network with the highest viewership, hosts of some of the highest rated talk radio shows and multiple books by people like Ann Coulter are "pockets" you are deluded beyond help. There was a massive media attack on Obama for the 8 years he was in office.
And if you think Trump wouldn't lock up or silence his critics if he could you're in fairytale land. We fortunately have checks to power in the US that didn't exist in 1930s Germany. And if Herr President gets to appoint enough judges to the bench I'd be worried about those checks.

 Republican congressmen = pockets?


ml1

"very fine people" 


mrincredible
ml1 said:
the thing about Trump re: Hitler is that literal Nazis marched in a U.S. city and Trump called them very fine people.

 While Obama was probably too calm and composed about actual racism as opposed to the "reverse racism" canard those marching morons in Virginia bought into.


snowmom

President Trump could host Jesus at the second coming and still receive the same vitriol and hate.


ml1
snowmom said:
President Trump could host Jesus at the second coming and still receive the same vitriol and hate.

if Jesus came back, I'm pretty sure the likes of Donald Trump would be on his **** list.  At least the Jesus they taught me about in Catholic school.  


ml1

if I was the Donald, I'd wear asbestos underwear to the second coming.



The Soulful Mr T
snowmom said:
President Trump could host Jesus at the second coming and still receive the same vitriol and hate.

 meaning...?


shoshannah

He dismissed NK's massive human rights violations as nothing out of the ordinary.

"Trump on Tuesday took pains to remind his audience that while life is 'rough' in North Korea, 'it’s rough in a lot of places, by the way, not just there.'"

How 'bout that??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/once-forceful-on-north-korean-human-rights-abuses-trump-is-mostly-mum-during-a-summit-with-kim/2018/06/12/6f781cde-6e2e-11e8-bf86-a2351b5ece99_story.html?utm_term=.58fbf8f5d82d




Barbara
snowmom said:
President Trump could host Jesus at the second coming and still receive the same vitriol and hate.

 Jesus would not approve of trump mocking a disabled reporter or telling ParaOlympians that their competitions were, “tough to watch.”  Jesus would not think neo Nazis  were “fine people.”

If trump were hosting Jesus, trump would find a way to bill someone else. Trump is a racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, small fingered vulgarian.  


Mike
terp said:
As someone who didn't like Obama and does not like Trump: the thought that Obama put up w/ a higher level of hostility Trump has is really mind boggling. 
It's funny.  People say Trump is a fascist, Hitler, a dictator.  But you have people on shows saying all kinds of things.  Take Real Time for example. This show has featured ways of impeaching Trump from the get go.  They went from Russia right to Stormy Daniels as ways to impeach.  Would Hitler have put up with that?
Every major newspaper, cable news(with the exception of Fox), Hollywood, and a good chunk of social media is openly hostile to this president.  There were pockets that were hostile to Obama, but nothing like this.  

Ok, I hear you but I think there’s an explanation.  The hate directed at Trump was because of his behavior over which he has 100% control. The vitriol Obama was subjected to was because.... what?  What exactly did he do?  Especially before he was even sworn in?   



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Real Estate Listings

Featured Events