Got Shower Chair/Lightweight Wheel Chair NOW WHAT?

Been up all night

Waking (!) up to your good wishes means a lot

and from over here too!!!

You'll sleep better once you have spoken with the doctor.

Hope the news is good when you see your doctor!

Fingers crossed for you!

Nancy's Saga Part 2!

Today
is day 25 since the accident and day 15 since my surgery. Went back for
a 2 week post-op appointment this morning with the surgeon and the
incision is healing well, which was a concern due to my diabetes and
foot issues. But is is good on the outside. Not sure about the inside.
The cast was removed and I am in a boot

But alas, it
is NOT a walking boot. No walking , or even touching the floor for at
least 2 and maybe 4 weeks. So no work, rare bathing (its really hard to
get up to the second floor) and no other activities but eating, reading
and watching TV. Sort of like a staycation without the benefit of a beach!

It
will get better. In about a month or two I can start physical therapy
and then in 6-8 months I will be almost normal (or as normal as I ever
was).

Just wanted to keep you all up to date. I am up for playdates whenever they can be arranged.

sounds like good progress.  >smile

I'll fix my FaceTime so we can share some gorgeous sunshine oh oh

Let me know if you want to borrow any of my Great Courses series. Message me what your interests are, and I can let you know what I have that you might enjoy. Glad the healing process is moving along - can't rush it, so enjoy the downtime.

How are you doing with Harry Potter, L_L?

PeggyC said:

It has lost To two seasons (So far) of Watching Scandal!!

That is so much like what i experienced, except I had to wait a lot longer for my surgery and I didn't even try to make it up to the second floor until I was out of the boot.  Even then it took a major effort the first time.  The biggest surprise was how long it took to get the leg muscles back.  You will get back on your feet and be as good as new but it will take time and patience.

librarylady said:
PeggyC said:

It has lost To two seasons (So far) of Watching Scandal!!

Hah! I can see why. I got hooked on that show, although the season where she gets kidnapped almost lost me. I like it again now, though.  smile 

From one librarylady to another: I have an adjustable shower bench I'd be happy to give you. If you're interested, please text me on 973 919 4541, and we can schedule a time for me to drop it off.

PS -- Do you remember a time, years ago, when your husband went to a Newark law firm to pick up a free copy of Martindale Hubbell? I'm that library lady.

PS -- a few years ago, I sprained my ankle and couldn't put any weight on it at all. I got up and down the stairs by bumping from one stair to the next on my butt and using my good leg to propel me. The shower bench really came in handy.

reallytrying said:

From one librarylady to another: I have an adjustable shower bench I'd be happy to give you. If you're interested, please text me on 973 919 4541, and we can schedule a time for me to drop it off.

PS -- Do you remember a time, years ago, when your husband went to a Newark law firm to pick up a free copy of Martindale Hubbell? I'm that library lady.

Thanks so much @reallytrying  for the offer. I've borrowed one from another MOLer and I indeed go up and down the stairs on my tush. Amazing what you can do when necessary. Really appreciate it.

Still watching season three of Scandal (ssshhh PeggyC no spoilers!) and feasting on all my wonderful friends and family's wonderful dinners and lunches. My belly really appreciate that Rich doesn't have to attempt to cook and so does his!.  Hopefully only ten more days to wait until my next phase of these and I can start rehab. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for listening to me and offering me support. It means an awful lot!

NaqnC

wink No spoilers, I promise. The kidnapping is the premise for an entire season, and the devil is in all the details!! which I shall leave unsaid. 

Good news and not so good news..

Good news.. Don't have to wear this damn boot all the time any longer..Can take it off to sleep and if I am staying in one place for a while

Badder news..Four weeks post surgery I still have at LEAST 2 more weeks of stay at home, no weight bearing days ahead. Doc won't even discuss physical therapy, driving or returning to work until the 24th of March. Then we can talk about it!

ARGGG> Fourteen more days of binge watching and eating Rich's cooking! One of those ain't so bad.

Hope to see/hear from you all soon.

NanC

Wow, that really is a long road to healing, isn't it? But on the bright side, you are already two-thirds done with the recuperation portion of the festivities. Hang in there.

And it keeps getting (mostly) better~~

Went
for my 6 week post -op doc visit yesterday. Everything is healing
better than well. Have good range of motion in my foot and can now put
it down on  the floor. YAY weight bearing. Can't quite go hiking the
Appalachian  Trail or jump on a trampoline, but I can, with a walker,
make it across the room one foot after the other as long as I wear the
boot. And hopefully, that is only for 3-4 more weeks and then the boot
can come off. And I can TAKE A BATH. Bestest news!~

Went
for my first physical therapy session this morning. She pushed and
pulled, did some massage and gave me homework. First we work on Range of
Motion and then building the muscle strength back. My calf looks like
the size of my wrist. Really! This x3 a week  for the next 6 weeks.

Hopefully
I am going to go back to work part time next week. Everyone keeps
saying DON"T OVERDO it but I feel so much better. But they are right and
if I do too much I won't be feeling that much better for long.

Six weeks now to my next surgeon visit.

Thank
you to ALL of you who have listened to my story of tsuris and helped in
any way that you could. Calls, notes, food, company, just reading my
blog. Everything contributed to how much better I feel now as compared
to January 31st. So very much appreciated. It will take another 4 months
at least till I can walk normally but this is so much better now than I
could have expected.

Now onward and upward.

With gratitude

That all sounds about right.  As someone who did return to work too soon and was promptly sent home when observed holding on to walls and file cabinets for support, my best advice is to take it easy.  Try going to the library for a short visit when you feel up to it.  Try sitting for while, standing for a while, walking a little and see how it goes.  If it goes well, then plan on returning part-time.  Even then, be careful how you define part-time.  A few days a week is different from every day since you will have time to recover on alternate days.  Half day is better than getting there on time and leaving an hour early.  You will get achy and tired. This is normal and part of the healing process.  Besides, you have to budget time for those physical therapy sessions.

Good advice! Even better might be 3 half days for a couple of weeks, then make one an almost full day, then two. But no doubt your therapists will advise the schedule, after all it is their role! They can also advise if you any assistive equipment for work (special adjusting chairs, footrests etc, particular supportive shoes).

We're so excited!! A bath and you can do some of the cooking again!!  cheese 

Joan's advice seems very sound to me. I'm really glad you are making such solid, steady progress.  grin 

Look at me.!!!NO MORE BOOT. Been a heck of a 3 month period but I am making
progress!!!! Whoo Hoo!!! (notice the cane but I'm gonna ditch that as soon
as I can!!

Terrific progress!  Carry the cane for awhile after you no longer think need it. Don't use it.  Just carry it in case you find yourself getting tired at the end of the day or need help doing curbs, stairs, etc.

I'm picturing tap dancing soon...  smile 

LL you are an inspiration to this mama who is four weeks into a broken foot and losing her mind. if you can get there I can too!

Speedy recovery, Maizy!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!