Inconsequential Chat

Some great words of wisdom from personal experience, even if you haven’t heard of ‘Schoolies’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/89yo-schoolies-volunteer-rita-bell/100653480

Schoolies  is the week-long end of school-year/end of high school ‘vacation’held on the Gold Coast annually that most Aussie  high schoolers supposedly dream of attending. We’ve had between 4000 - 5000 tourist school-leavers attend this past week.

I never managed to get to 'Schoolies'.  I don't even remember it happening when I was at school
Maybe I was too early for it.

You'll need to arrange a quiet room with no distractions so you can concentrate on this...

Definitely not quite what I expected - I actually saw a very rich colour not quite on your chart….

Chuck Jones’s rules for writing Road Runner cartoons.

You have to feel for this organist.

During a performance of Handel’s Messiah, at that crucial moment at the end of the ‘Hallelujah’ Chorus when the choir and organ come together in four glorious final chords, this organist completely loses it.

It seems they accidentally pressed the ‘transpose’ function on their instrument, only-just-and-only-sort-of recovering it by adding an unexpected seventh at the end, before finally landing on the tonic chord.

The choir deserves a huge pat on the back for holding it together.

You have to listen to get the full effect...

marksierra said:

During a performance of Handel’s Messiah, at that crucial moment at the end of the ‘Hallelujah’ Chorus when the choir and organ come together in four glorious final chords, this organist completely loses it.

It seems they accidentally pressed the ‘transpose’ function on their instrument, only-just-and-only-sort-of recovering it by adding an unexpected seventh at the end, before finally landing on the tonic chord.

Oh Lord! That's so much worse than my most horrible gaffe. I had two different trumpets set up on their stands in the church's choir loft. After singing one song with the choir I had to quickly go over and get ready to play the intro to another piece and I grabbed the C trumpet instead of the B-flat. The music was too hard for an amateur like me to transpose on the fly so after those first couple wrong notes on a strong entrance I couldn't really do anything. It was either try to play the melody instead of the descant or go back and get the proper horn. Thank goodness it wasn't as important as the organ or a recording.

PeterWick said:

marksierra said:

Oh Lord! That's so much worse than my most horrible gaffe. I had two different trumpets set up on their stands in the church's choir loft. After singing one song with the choir I had to quickly go over and get ready to play the intro to another piece and I grabbed the C trumpet instead of the B-flat. The music was too hard for an amateur like me to transpose on the fly so after those first couple wrong notes on a strong entrance I couldn't really do anything. It was either try to play the melody instead of the descant or go back and get the proper horn. Thank goodness it wasn't as important as the organ or a recording.

Many years ago, I came upon a recording of a local high school's rendition of Carmina Burana, which was being presented as part of the end of year concert.

I happen to know the French horn player (not me, although I used to play French horn, too!) who, having sat quietly for some time, was then called on to deliver a loud note from the horn at the appropriate time.  

He flubbed it, of course!  

He was so embarrassed. But, in the nature of live performances, you just keep going (and hope nobody heard, or noticed it!)

(Stolen from 'DaBadger', who posted this in the Comments section of the latest FDOTM cartoon, featuring snakes in the grass surrounding his home):

After the flood, satisfied his work was done, Noah was inspecting the ark one last time when he came across a pair of snakes.

“Why are you still here?” he asked in surprise. “It’s safe now. Go forth! And multiply!”
The snakes stared at him in confusion.

“But… we’re adders.”

smile

'tis the season...

And which always reminds me of this Israeli advertisement.

(Caution: language warning!)

https://youtu.be/tQQkopQSOlA

The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

I would, but I don't know what they eat.

Bi-feed humour, or buy feed humour? cheesecheese

This is a shout out to all my fellow procrastinators who are scrolling through MOL right now instead of doing whatever productive thing you should be doing.

We should start a club.  

(But not right now. Maybe later.)

This letter was released to the public by this august establishment in very early April in 2015.

You may have to zoom in to read the contents clearly.

I'm a dog lover, but sometimes ...

Spelling checkers can be your worst enema

Excellent local commentary on the Winter Olympics:

Allow me to lighten your day...

Found this in my neighbourhood a few days ago.

The coffees are empty, so I'll except diminutions.

I'll just drop this here.  It's a bit heavy.  Found it outside.

"Just cleared out some space in the freezer" sounds so much more productive than "I just polished off another tub of ice cream."

Oh look!  Nearly 140-million people can speed read!

Fun!! Where do you find these gems??

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.