Is Pelosi really planning to visit Taiwan

tjohn said:

nohero said:

tjohn said:

Hired by the CIA, I'm told by a reliable source.  More American puppets.

There were probably cookies given out, also.

More likely char siu bao, but I haven't received confirmation.  I'm heading down to my basement to watch a pod cast this evening.

Sounds like there will be extra biscuits for everyone in Taiwan. 

dave said:

Taiwan is paying the high price for Pelosi's visit. 

https://www.wionews.com/world/pelosi-visit-china-shows-displeasure-by-suspending-import-of-taiwanese-biscuits-502887

When I went to bed last night, we were on the brink of nuclear war.  Glad to see it all turned out okay.

nan said:

"China did not take the bait."   They were not going to let the US provoke them. 

They let Pelosi land and they condemned the visit and said there will be a military exercise on August 4.   They will also put a plan together to accelerate the unification process. 

China is responding methodically.  So, there won't be a huge military reaction but there will be a strong, measured response.  

They want to show to everyone in the world that the US is willing to break these agreements and that this gives the basis for China to accelerate the unification process.   What many don't understand is that China has actually abided by the One China Policy and that China has an incredible amount of leverage as it grows, as it stabilizes, as it becomes a world leader in many different ways.  China does not have to do what the United States does.  

Lots more - interesting analysis. 

"China did not take the bait." Yes, they did.  They made a lot of complaints.  That's what they do.  Then they went from "You're playing with fire" to "We will not be provoked", which is what the bully always does.

"They will also put a plan together to accelerate the unification process." They will stay on the exact same path that they've been on.

"They want to show to everyone in the world that the US is willing to break these agreements and that this gives the basis for China to accelerate the unification process." There's no "agreements" to break.  Pelosi's visit was entirely consistent with the U.S. position on Taiwan. 

"What many don't understand is that China has actually abided by the One China Policy " What does that even mean? If by "abided by the one China policy", you mean that China has continued to insist that China is part of Taiwan, that's not "abiding by a policy", it's an assertion of authority.  

And as for how it has "abided by the One China Policy" - the People's Republic of China engages in the same "dances" and work-arounds that other countries do.  The PRC imports goods from Taiwan, and treats Taiwan as a foreign supplier for purposes of limiting same, for foreign policy purposes (China blocks some Taiwan imports but avoids chip disruptions - ABC News (go.com)) Tourists from the mainland visit Taiwan, with both governments using special documentation and terminology to go along with the "one China" positions that they both have.

Taiwan Embassy Permit for Chinese Citizens

In accordance with the visa policy established in 2016, Chinese citizens who are residents in Mainland China, regardless of whether or not they have permanent residence in Hong Kong or Macao, must go to a government office to apply for an entry and exit permit for Taiwan.

Chinese citizens that are residents of a territory outside of mainland China are able to request travel permission through the online application.

The requirements established for Chinese citizens to visit Taiwan and obtain such a permit will be to provide a valid passport or have the document known as a “Mainland Resident Travel Permit” issued by the Chinese authorities.

If Chinese citizens are traveling through Taiwan in transit, a travel permit is not required as long as they do not pass through Taiwanese immigration control.

Visa Policy of Taiwan | Entry Requirements | Onlinevisa.com

nan said:

Time for some Michael Tracy.

Mike's too young to remember the Cold War, he's exaggerating this situation compared to back then.

nan said:

More:

I can't believe that anyone would believe that bull caca.  What kind of ignorant people does Tracey think comprise his audience?

Chinese citizens will feel the crunch as the shortage of Taiwanese tea biscuits increases. Apparently these tea biscuits are better tasting, I’m gonna run to Kam Man supermarket out in East Hanover and grab some…

Do some people actually think China will be so reckless as to attack the USA? Maybe they will try to provoke Guam to see what kind of reaction they will get. After seeing the effectiveness of the American weaponry in Ukraine, these lunatics would be out of their minds to start a shooting war with America. 
Their only weapon that scares us is the nuclear weapon…and they don’t want to even see what would happen to their countries if we retaliate with a massive nuclear strike. You communists think America is some kind of joke? We got rid of the clown, don’t underestimate Joe Biden. 
maybe it’s time we ban Chinese inferior products. Yea biscuits my sun starved ***

nan said:

Kim Iversen weighs in on the Pelosi visit.  It's really about signaling to corporations that the US Military has their backs.  Pelosi is heavily invested in semiconductors, by the way.  

What a strange sad world you live in where everything is controlled behind the scenes by the oligarchs.  Sometimes I wish it were so since the truth is more alarming - great powers jostling for position like a dogs squabbling over bones.  

Taiwan is a result of the U.S. taking sides in the Chinese civil war between Communists and Nationalists in the 1940's.  So, now we have a position where neither power can easily back down.

If we were concerned about semi-conductors, we would tell Taiwan to lick Xi Jinping's shoes.

Another day when Maplewood's leading painter avoids a nuke landing on her house.

nohero said:

nan said:

Mike's too young to remember the Cold War, he's exaggerating this situation compared to back then.

A reminder that Tracey just learned about Guam.

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Tracey just made an **** out of himself.  There are direct flights to Guam connecting through places like Tokyo or Honolulu.  If it didn't take so long to get there, Guam would be a popular tourist destination.

https://www.alltherooms.com/blog/guam-beaches/

What a strange guy - apart form MOL - I have never heard of this Tracey guy before.  What is his claim to fame?

When I googled him I got - an American journalist and Twitter personality.

Twitter is really the cesspool for "reporting".  I guess it's good resource to get any sound bite you want on any subject (see Jimmy Dore).

What site does his write for?

When I googled him I got… “he’s the real DICK… Tracey 

jamie said:

What a strange guy - apart form MOL - I have never heard of this Tracey guy before.  What is his claim to fame?

Twitter is really the cesspool for "reporting".  I guess it's good resource to get any sound bite you want on any subject (see Jimmy Dore).

Michael Tracey is an "independent journalist" and one of Tucker Carlson's foremost experts.

Tracey's claim to fame was when he accused Maxine Walter's of "shoving" him.

I can't decide if that is even more violent that the Rudy supermarket incident.   Have to believe that months of physical therapy was needed in this case.

nohero said:

nan said:

Trump also had that famous phone call from Taiwan (mentioned by terp) that viewed like a catastophe by Democrats back then but now they are applauding Pelosi who is doing worse.  

But I repeat myself.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

terp said:

Boy have times changed.  I remember the last president got thrown under the bus repeatedly simply for taking a call from Taiwan's president.

What's changed? Pelosi is getting far more criticism than support for her trip.

Not to mention that a President-to-President contact is in a different league from a Speaker of the House drop-in.

Also, the Chinese reaction at the time was this: "Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the call between Taiwan's president and Trump was 'just a small trick by Taiwan' that he believed would not change U.S. policy toward China, according to Hong Kong's Phoenix TV."

China's Foreign Minister: Trump-Taiwan Call 'A Small Trick' : NPR

You can spin it through a washing machine on multiple cycles but the point is that when Trump did it you all went nuts.  When Pelosi did it you think it's fine or whatever variation of that the mainstream media is telling you to think.  

nohero said:

When I went to bed last night, we were on the brink of nuclear war.  Glad to see it all turned out okay.

nan said:

"China did not take the bait."   They were not going to let the US provoke them. 

They let Pelosi land and they condemned the visit and said there will be a military exercise on August 4.   They will also put a plan together to accelerate the unification process. 

China is responding methodically.  So, there won't be a huge military reaction but there will be a strong, measured response.  

They want to show to everyone in the world that the US is willing to break these agreements and that this gives the basis for China to accelerate the unification process.   What many don't understand is that China has actually abided by the One China Policy and that China has an incredible amount of leverage as it grows, as it stabilizes, as it becomes a world leader in many different ways.  China does not have to do what the United States does.  

Lots more - interesting analysis. 

"China did not take the bait." Yes, they did.  They made a lot of complaints.  That's what they do.  Then they went from "You're playing with fire" to "We will not be provoked", which is what the bully always does.

"They will also put a plan together to accelerate the unification process." They will stay on the exact same path that they've been on.

"They want to show to everyone in the world that the US is willing to break these agreements and that this gives the basis for China to accelerate the unification process." There's no "agreements" to break.  Pelosi's visit was entirely consistent with the U.S. position on Taiwan. 

"What many don't understand is that China has actually abided by the One China Policy " What does that even mean? If by "abided by the one China policy", you mean that China has continued to insist that China is part of Taiwan, that's not "abiding by a policy", it's an assertion of authority.  

And as for how it has "abided by the One China Policy" - the People's Republic of China engages in the same "dances" and work-arounds that other countries do.  The PRC imports goods from Taiwan, and treats Taiwan as a foreign supplier for purposes of limiting same, for foreign policy purposes (China blocks some Taiwan imports but avoids chip disruptions - ABC News (go.com)) Tourists from the mainland visit Taiwan, with both governments using special documentation and terminology to go along with the "one China" positions that they both have.

Taiwan Embassy Permit for Chinese Citizens

In accordance with the visa policy established in 2016, Chinese citizens who are residents in Mainland China, regardless of whether or not they have permanent residence in Hong Kong or Macao, must go to a government office to apply for an entry and exit permit for Taiwan.

Chinese citizens that are residents of a territory outside of mainland China are able to request travel permission through the online application.

The requirements established for Chinese citizens to visit Taiwan and obtain such a permit will be to provide a valid passport or have the document known as a “Mainland Resident Travel Permit” issued by the Chinese authorities.

If Chinese citizens are traveling through Taiwan in transit, a travel permit is not required as long as they do not pass through Taiwanese immigration control.

Visa Policy of Taiwan | Entry Requirements | Onlinevisa.com

China is not the bully.  The US is the bully.  Chinese media made it sound like there would be a US style response, but the Chinese government decided to ignore the Pelosi provocation and they will be doing something else, which we see in time.  We will probably not be happy. 

We should leave China and Taiwan alone and let them sort this out.  We have enough problems with the mess we helped create in Ukraine.  But, we won't.  We will continue to pester China until we get a response as we did in Ukraine with Russia. And then we will say it had nothing to do with us.

No one falls for our crap anymore and a big part of the world are now united because of their shared hatred of the US.   But, neocon US foreign policy just keeps rolling along as though nothing needs to change. 

RTrent said:

nan said:

You certainly changed your tune. Weren't you talking about WW III before Pelosi went? 

Some people think we are already in World War III because of the proxy war in Ukraine.  I was worried there might be a military strike because of Pelosi's visit.  It was a risky and foolish venture and she put us all at risk for what????   Just to play chicken with a nuclear power?   They made it clear she was not welcome and she came anyway.  What would you think if Hawaii declared independence from the US and Lavrov went there to blather on about Democracy, misquoting Benjamin Franklin?  

The West probably feels good and think they called China's bluff, but China will get back in us in some other way and we probably won't be happy.  

nohero said:

nan said:

Yeah, like when the CIA killed Kennedy because he used diplomacy to handle the Bay of Pigs crisis.   Now we don't have anyone like Kennedy in power.  It's all idiotic neocons so Tracy is right to be alarmed.  They want war with Russia and China and they don't care if it risks the whole planet.  You don't have a problem because you have become a neocon yourself. 

nohero said:

nan said:

More:

I can't believe that anyone would believe that bull caca.  What kind of ignorant people does Tracey think comprise his audience?

He sees right through you. 

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

nan said:

You side with the most idiotic people.  Tracy announced that he wanted to learn more about Guam and a whole slew of jerks announced that he did not know where it was.  They tried to pile up on him with insults instead of fact based arguments.   

Even if you disagree with Michael Tracy, why would you want to side with the brainless trolls that pester him?

tjohn said:

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Tracey just made an **** out of himself.  There are direct flights to Guam connecting through places like Tokyo or Honolulu.  If it didn't take so long to get there, Guam would be a popular tourist destination.

How did he make an **** out of himself by saying he wanted to know more about Guam?   Is it no longer OK to show in interest in researching a topic?

Most posters on MOL "Pelosi's trip is a bad idea"

Nan's takeaway "you all think what Pelosi did is fine or whatever"

jamie said:

He has worked at a multiple news organizations and now has a big following on Substack.  He's known to give independent views that often piss off people on both the left and the right.  I don't always agree with him but I think he has a lot of integrity.  

He's also famous for seeing through the Russiagate hoax, which may have cost him his job at the Young Turks.  That's probably where you have heard of him before--and hated him since you were, and probably remain, a strong believer.  

nohero said:

jamie said:

Michael Tracey is an "independent journalist" and one of Tucker Carlson's foremost experts.

Tucker Carlson is one of the few commentators who will have people he disagrees with on air to discuss topics.  Michael Tracy has independent views, but seems to be a leftist and also anti-war.

Nohere, of course, smears anyone who goes on Tucker Carlson, but he has a huge audience and it's good they get to hear varied views.  You never hear a varied view on CNN.  

drummerboy said:

Tracey's claim to fame was when he accused Maxine Walter's of "shoving" him.

This is how people who could not form a real argument dumped on Michael Tracy in 2017.  

nan said:

He has worked at a multiple news organizations and now has a big following on Substack.  He's known to give independent views that often piss off people on both the left and the right.  I don't always agree with him but I think he has a lot of integrity.  

He's also famous for seeing through the Russiagate hoax, which may have cost him his job at the Young Turks.  That's probably where you have heard of him before--and hated him since you were, and probably remain, a strong believer.  

I hate a guy I really don’t know?  I love how YOU tell us what we’re all thinking- we hardly have to respond to you anymore.  No matter what we say - it rarely our thoughts- it’s the msm manipulating how we think and what we say.

jamie said:

nan said:

I hate a guy I really don’t know?  I love how YOU tell us what we’re all thinking- we hardly have to respond to you anymore.  No matter what we say - it rarely our thoughts- it’s the msm manipulating how we think and what we say.

Ok, sorry for assuming you would hate a guy who thought Russiagate was total BS.   I apologize.  Maybe you would have liked him.  Why don't you follow him on twitter and see how it goes. 

nan said:

tjohn said:

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

nan said:

How did he make an **** out of himself by saying he wanted to know more about Guam?   Is it no longer OK to show in interest in researching a topic?

There's this thing called Google where you can do some basic fact-checking before opening your mouth.  That he didn't do this leads me to conclude that he just throws endless **** at the wall to see what sticks.

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Trump also had that famous phone call from Taiwan (mentioned by terp) that viewed like a catastophe by Democrats back then but now they are applauding Pelosi who is doing worse.  

But I repeat myself.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

terp said:

Boy have times changed.  I remember the last president got thrown under the bus repeatedly simply for taking a call from Taiwan's president.

What's changed? Pelosi is getting far more criticism than support for her trip.

Not to mention that a President-to-President contact is in a different league from a Speaker of the House drop-in.

Also, the Chinese reaction at the time was this: "Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the call between Taiwan's president and Trump was 'just a small trick by Taiwan' that he believed would not change U.S. policy toward China, according to Hong Kong's Phoenix TV."

China's Foreign Minister: Trump-Taiwan Call 'A Small Trick' : NPR

You can spin it through a washing machine on multiple cycles but the point is that when Trump did it you all went nuts.  When Pelosi did it you think it's fine or whatever variation of that the mainstream media is telling you to think.  

Nobody thought that Pelosi's visit was a good idea.  And I can assure you that we don't rely on the media to tell us what to think.

tjohn said:

nan said:

tjohn said:

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

nan said:

There's this thing called Google where you can do some basic fact-checking before opening your mouth.  That he didn't do this leads me to conclude that he just throws endless **** at the wall to see what sticks.

There is this thing called curiosity and no one should be afraid to express that online.  Give the guy a break. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!