Kismet's Life in Maine

Yes but Asplundh did not "butcher" at all! They very methodically and with thought trimmed branches so you would never know they had. AND they chipped everything. I remember we actually got PSEG to address a branch after many calls once and they left it on the property.

Well, you must stop here on the way north!

Worth noting that in season Boothbay Harbor has whale watches and various marine life watches. Also I believe there are sunset cruises and trips on high masted sailing ships. There are crowds in season but if you are from Jersey you never get that too many people feeling.

author, you are very funny today.

I just lost a tooth. But since I am on blood thinners it turned to be a lot better than I thought. Once in a while something works out.

Let it be noted that in Maine no one ever loses teeth except for children which is fully expected. It rains only between the hours of 4 and 6 AM. Lobster is not only the national dish but is served for breakfast and desert. The air is so clear that no one every needs eye drops. And tourists are welcome so long as they don't stay past September.

And in all truth except for a small country in Europe that part of my family left at the turn of the the previous century to come here for work, security and the wonderful freedoms we all enjoy, Maine is my next favorite place on God's earth.

Let the truth be heard!!!!

These steps lead down to "the rocks" -the rocks and beach where I spent countless hours every summer - first playing house (there was on large flat rock that was the kitchen - "cooked" with seaweed and shells, one shaped like a dentist's chair, another like a couch), then tanning (or burning) and finally reading and ALWAYS poking around in tide pools and watching the tide come and go

Our family summer cottage

oh oh It's been painted since that photo

author said:

I just lost a tooth. But since I am on blood thinners it turned to be a lot better than I thought. Once in a while something works out.
I'm trying to figure out how blood thinners make tooth loss turn out well ???

Also trying to figure out what this has to do with Kismet, but perhaps I missed an earlier post that ties it all together (?)

sac said:

author said:

Also trying to figure out what this has to do with Kismet, but perhaps I missed an earlier post that ties it all together (?)

Things turned out well because when one is on blood thinners the simplest thing like a small cut while shaving, or losing a tooth can mean a trip to the Emergency Room since the blood does not coagulate normally........In short, you bleed a heck of a lot.

It should further be noted that blood thinners are rarely used in Maine because they are not needed.
The flu is not allowed past the New Hampshire border.
Headaches are so rare that stores regularly jettison their supplies of aspirin, Tylenol etc since they sit on the shelves so long they are out of date.
Children only develop stomach aches on days they neglected to do their homework.

Probably vanishing now but a phrase used by long time residents to describe a tough person.........."He/she has a lot of hard bark"........pronounced as haaad baaak .

This is the sunrise we saw yesterday morning in Maine from our bedroom and living room windows...

Sure beats looking at a yard excavation!

ffof said:

Sure beats looking at a yard excavation!

question

that is insane! would love to hang that pic in my living room its so colorful & beautiful. Cannot wait for the day I can see the beauty of maine again.

I know! Gorgeous right? This is one of the "every night" sunsets from the cottage porch

Waged "war" on a fifteen foot tree today..needed to trim a bit but managed to muscle it into the house...it is magnificent!!! Will wait to decorate it until the children get here. Photos to follow...

BTW, Happy Hanukkah!!

Frosty morning. Turkeys are back in the yard.
Anyone read Mr Willoby's Christmas Tree? It's a wonderful children's book about a man that gets this really huge tree, chops off the top and how that top makes trees for a whole bunch of "families". Well our giant tree (gorgeous balsam from the property ) wouldn't fit in the house so...off came the top. Today I help my dad set up this tree top and we'll decorate it. He has not had a tree in about 8 years. He was sole care -giver to my mom for 6 years and lost the energy and spirit for decorating. That energy and spirit did no come back after mom died 2 years ago. He told me he didn't want a tree this year either...think I'd let that go?! I told him he didn't have a choice so he said (with a little smile) - "it usually goes over there(pointing to a corner of the living room)". So, another reason I am thrilled to be here! For years I would send food, plants, etc- now he gets a tree!

About 5 years ago I knew it would be the last time mom would understand Christmas. My hubby and children took off for California and I drove up here on Christmas Eve - a surprise, they did not know I was coming. I brought Christmas with me (everything but a tree!)- a huge poinsettia (sight), cookie dough(smell and taste), Christmas carols, a prepped roast dinner and arrived to a house devoid of Christmas. I got busy and mom took it all in...twas a wonderful holiday. I am not going to let dad deny himself the pleasures the holidays can bring.

author said:

sac said:

author said:

Things turned out well because when one is on blood thinners the simplest thing like a small cut while shaving, or losing a tooth can mean a trip to the Emergency Room since the blood does not coagulate normally........In short, you bleed a heck of a lot.

So you were saying that it turned out well IN SPITE of being on the blood thinners?? (I read your first post as saying that the blood thinner CAUSED it to turn out well, which is why I was confused.)

Still not understanding what this has to do with kismet, though.

Thanks for sharing this, kismet. For years I sent a Christmas tree to my dad from LL Bean -- a little table top. I think it was not a real tree but just the branches stuck into a frame but it looked pretty and smelled nice just the same. I think your dad's life will be greatly enhanced by having you nearby. A real gift.

author said:

sac...........this was a case of my mind thinking something and then failing to put it into writing. What I meant was despite loosing the tooth,
which could have been traumatic, I find Kismet and lisat' writings about Maine so very uplifting. I know intimately the area and can relate very much to what they are saying.

So...........what is wrong with all of you that you could not read my mind?....................Just joking.

For the record, author, one of the reasons that I have saved this thread to my desktop is because I hope to visit the places that you have mentioned here. So I am enjoying your writing very much on this thread too!

When I was growing up here in Maine we lived in a waterfront neighborhood about five miles from the one I am currently living in. The difference was that growing up we had access to a beach because the (I'm assuming) rich person who owned all of the property behind our houses and the reserve in front of the beach gave only the residents of our three streets permission to cross the reserve and access the beach. So we essentially had a private beach. The benefits of this are obvious. We could drag a little sunfish down and go out sailing, which I usually did whenever I heard there were small craft warnings. We could walk during low tide to Seal Island to visit -- you got it -- the seals. And we could meet our friends down there without even needing to phone and make a plan.

The drawbacks are less obvious. We never went anywhere. We didn't explore Maine or very many other places. My dad felt that he had plunked us down in the middle of paradise and we should be grateful and not ansy to see any place else because, well, he had work to do and a lot of it.

For this reason, I am using your posts to make lists of places I would like to visit some time. Thanks for sharing, author.

My father felt the same way! We came here every summer, never anywhere else because why would we? this is paradise! Well I finally got to Acadia when I was married with children! I was cursing dad...

The last time we were in Bar Harbor we went through one of those coming of age scenes. Don't remember exactly where on Acadia we were staying but our then teenage daughter was with us. About 10 in the evening when my wife and I were settling in she wanted to take the car and go somewhere................go somewhere at 10'oclock at night............unheard of to our way of thought. She might have been a freshman or sophomore at college so that was the time of night that things were just starting to warm up. A real conflict of cultures
erupted that night.

I have been along the entire Rt 1 on my way to Campabello. An interesting place is Eastport. Its gets fogged in 180 days each year. I have photos (somewhere in the house) of the fog coming in off the ocean and eventually enveloping the lighthouse.

Most disappointing, Poland Spring.... it does not inspire one to buy the water.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!