Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

jimmurphy said:
Most all time for a rookie manager.

Right behind him at 59*: Gabe Kapler.

*One reliever was an infielder, so maybe it’s officially 58.

ETA: By my count, Kapler must now have the 16-game record, 64 (or 63) to 62. This could go back and forth all season.

ETA II: Make it 65 or 64. I forgot the Phillies were going extra innings.

Geez Zimmerman was a one man wrecking crew. 

That said, if Cespedes' bat is warming up we can look forward to even more excitement.

13-4.

More than 10% of the season in the books. 

What have we liked and what's made us nervous? 

Ya Gotta Believe!

I don't like the homer Harvey just gave up.

It's hard to complain given the record but we are top heavy with older position players and don't really have any proven position players in their prime.  Lagares, 29 I think, has been tearing it up but his long injury down time and history of weak bat make him a question mark, though I've always liked him.

If Comforto, Lagares and Nimmo are going to be pigeon holed into centerfield, then maybe Nimmo needs to be used as trade bait for a catcher.  He's a sweetheart but something's got to give.

Vargas is due back soon. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

Who trades Harvey?  smile 

Who would want Harvey?  I'd trade him. I am nervous about Familia.  I'm also concerned that hot bats play.  If Bruce needs to sit will the manager sit him?  He just let Cespedes play for a week with the flu because he wanted to.  Can he handle these veterans?

Encouraging win last night.

I guess I need to take back my earlier comment that Familia was only good against bad teams.  He made me eat that last night.  Ramos and Blevins looked bad, too.  Maybe Harvey will become the next Isringhausen.  Probably for Oakland, though.  That seems to be the Met way.

Atlanta has themselves a good team this year.  If they get decent pitching, they can go a long way.

Opinions may be mixed on this, but seeing three teams playing .600 ball (however early and, at least in the Phillies’ case, however unproven the recent competition) makes me proud again to be an NL East fan.

I don’t know about you, but after nine games against them already (3-6), I’m sick of the Braves.

the Braves look like they're for real 

Yes. Very impressive last night.

Thor looked positively Vargas-ian in that first inning.  Yikes.

a lot of the pitches they hit were pretty good. Mostly it was good hitting 

The young Braves are really solid in the field and at the plate.  They were tattooing Thor's fastballs, although he did have more success with his twisty and off-speed stuff.  Looks like the Braves made a great decision to go with the youth and see what happens.  Kind of like they did the last time they were really great back in the early Glavine-Smolz days-along with Avery, Jones, Klesko, Lopez.

bub said:
As long as I get credit for continued success, I'll take the blame for a 2-14 run.  Enough said. 

Um, we're not there yet.

Is it just me, or are the Mets nearly-no-hit more than any other team?

Happy to hear DeGrom looks like he’ll be OK. Wish they’d move him back a few days.

mrincredible said:

bub said:
As long as I get credit for continued success, I'll take the blame for a 2-14 run.  Enough said. 
 Um, we're not there yet.

If only I controlled their fortunes . . .

I'm trying not to let the past few days get to me.  The Braves look like a very, very good team right now.  So losing 5 of 6 to them may not be a sign of anything more than running into a good team playing well.  The interesting thing about the Braves as the season progresses will be to see how the league adjusts to their rookies as the go around a couple of times.  

Losing a series 21 runs to 2 is not good.  

it is not good.  

I'm kind of surprised he and Boras opted for him to be DFA'd instead of going to the minors.  No team is going to put him on their big league squad right now.  So he ends up in the minors anyway, but with a team that has nothing invested in him.  The Mets still owe him about $5MM, so they have a lot of reasons to see him contributing again at the major league level.  Any team that signs him isn't going to care all that much if he doesn't pan out.  He's just an inexpensive gamble for anyone else.

I'm very surprised.  I thought he would get a month or so, and then get traded for a marginal prospect.  I give him credit for throwing so many innings after his TJ surgery, but I don't think he is smart enough to learn to pitch.  I hope he succeeds somewhere.

SNY is reporting that they plan to DFA him tomorrow.  My hope is that he'll think about it and accept the minor league assignment. 

This really bums me out...

Mets bat out of order in the first, costing them a double. Oy...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!