Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

even if deGrom regresses toward his career averages, he's still a top pitcher. Among pitchers with at least 800 IP, his lifetime ERA is the 3rd highest in MLB since 1961. 

I'm not sure how many non-Mets fans are aware of just how good he's been. Throughout his career, he's suffered from poor run support (never ad bad as this year though), so his win totals lag behind the other top guys. 

So Familia is gone for two guys and cash.  Toffey, the first guy, is 28 and sports a career minor league average of about 244.

I didn't bother looking at the pitcher.

ml1 said:
even if deGrom regresses toward his career averages, he's still a top pitcher. Among pitchers with at least 800 IP, his lifetime ERA is the 3rd highest in MLB since 1961. 

That’s impressive, but these types of lists (like trivia questions based on a set of specific thresholds) can be a bit artificial. ERAs tend to rise as careers go on into the 30s, so deGrom probably won’t be No. 3 for long; a rise of just 0.10 will drop him out of the top 10. Also, the list doesn’t include pitchers who were better than him when they hit 800. One I found, who would’ve just edged out deGrom, had a nice career, even a groundbreaking one, but I doubt Paul Owens would have dealt Mike Schmidt out of triple-A Eugene for him: Andy Messersmith (802 innings, 2.77 ERA).

I agree with that. If a GM thinks a prospect is a potential Hall of Famer they shouldn’t trade him for a pitcher. If I had the next Mike Trout in my system, he wouldn’t be going anywhere. 

Speaking of Mike Trout, my son sent me this: Trout and Pujols each through his first 1000 games...

So Cespedes has played his one second half game, I guess, and Syndegaard has hand, foot , and mouth disease.  Thank heavens for rain.

Train_of_Thought said:
Speaking of Mike Trout, my son sent me this: Trout and Pujols each through his first 1000 games...

Pujols' performance dropped off enough after age 30 that it's already kind of overlooked how amazing he was at the beginning of his career.  Baseball Reference lists the players that are most similar to each player in MLB history, by age.  So here's the list of hitters Pujols was most similar to from age 21 to 30:

• Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Frank Robinson
  • Miguel Cabrera
  • Miguel Cabrera
  • Jimmie Foxx
  • Miguel Cabrera

Pretty good company

And Mike Trout's comparisons aren't too shabby either:

• Vada Pinson
  • Frank Robinson
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Frank Robinson

And not to drift further off topic (because, after all, our Mets are such a delightful topic!), how about these INSANE Joey Votto stats that went viral this past week. Simply mind-blowing. https://www.12up.com/posts/6122650-joey-votto-s-career-pop-ups-should-be-your-new-favorite-stat

Sorry, couldn’t resist. (All in fun.) Guess who:

• Ed Bahr
  • Tanner Roark
  • Virgil Trucks 
  • Virgil Trucks

DaveSchmidt said:

• Ed Bahr
  • Tanner Roark
  • Virgil Trucks 
  • Virgil Trucks

I didn't look. But I'm going to assume it's deGrom.  Now I'll need to look up those pitchers' seasons at those ages.

DaveSchmidt said:

• Ed Bahr
  • Tanner Roark
  • Virgil Trucks 
  • Virgil Trucks

Indeed, statistically almost identical to each of deGrom's first four seasons. Pretty good years for each of them. 

Train_of_Thought said:
And not to drift further off topic (because, after all, our Mets are such a delightful topic!), how about these INSANE Joey Votto stats that went viral this past week. Simply mind-blowing. https://www.12up.com/posts/6122650-joey-votto-s-career-pop-ups-should-be-your-new-favorite-stat

he's like the bizarro Reyes

I love this thread. You guys are really knowledgeable with the stats!

NotoriousEAM said:
I love this thread. You guys are really knowledgeable with the stats!

Best MOL thread EVER. 

Signed, 

The Commissioner

Percentage of the thread’s Likes by Mets fans: .667.

at this point deGrom's starts are a sick joke. The team never hits when he's in the game and tonight they added another aspect to their futility by not fielding behind him. 

ml1 said:
at this point deGrom's starts are a sick joke. The team never hits when he's in the game and tonight they added another aspect to their futility by not fielding behind him. 

Another brutal loss. And then SD starts the 9th with an error that the Mets can't do anything with. 

Brutal. 

I've had it. Last night's game made me sick. Poor deGrom. He's the only dude in baseball that gives up two runs and his ERA goes UP! Bring up Alonso! The dude has like 80-something RBI's in the farm system. 

Can we just trade the entire franchise?  I mean, the Mets are a better fit for a smaller market, like Atlanta or Pittsburgh, while those teams could really get a boost in the New York market.  

Looks like they're bringing up McNeil. Alonso is still in AAA. Two guys actually hitting over .300. 

They need time coaching him at the major league level to get his average to a healthy .220.

FilmCarp said:
They need time coaching him at the major league level to get his average to a healthy .220.

Yep. That's before he gets injured!

What happened to Cecchini? I know he got hurt, but it didn't seem like it was a season ending injury. Now his name isn't even mentioned anymore. It seems like Billy Beane calls the Mets whenever he's looking to get a closer for nothing.

the yanks gave three pitching prospects for Britton.  Cleveland paid dearly for two guys from San Diego.   Yet we got very little for Familia.  It's why I don't want to trade DeGrom.  They will get rooked.

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
Pujols' performance dropped off enough after age 30 that it's already kind of overlooked how amazing he was at the beginning of his career.  Baseball Reference lists the players that are most similar to each player in MLB history, by age.  So here's the list of hitters Pujols was most similar to from age 21 to 30:
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Frank Robinson
  • Miguel Cabrera
  • Miguel Cabrera
  • Jimmie Foxx
  • Miguel Cabrera
Pretty good company
And Mike Trout's comparisons aren't too shabby either:
  • Vada Pinson
  • Frank Robinson
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Frank Robinson

Pujols was a machine during all his years in St. Louis.  The best hitter in baseball for 11 years.  His first year at the Angels was pretty good too.

Cespedes is out for the year and needing surgery.  

He's averaged 83 games a season for the past three years.  What a disaster.

yahooyahoo said:
Cespedes is out for the year and needing surgery.  
He's averaged 83 games a season for the past three years.  What a disaster.

every Mets fan I know celebrated when they signed him.  So I'm not second guessing the signing.  It's unfortunate that a physical didn't turn up the heel spurs, but I suppose it wasn't that severe three years ago.

Ten combined runs scored and eight combined pitchers today and the game played in 2:18.

Submitted without comment.

I do wish they would sell the team, but that note is missing the premiums for those policies, which aren't cheap, and the premiums for the policies for the uninjured players.  I'll repeat, though, that I don't think the Mets will win with these owners.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.