MOL In Real Life -- Casual drop in and chat -- Tuesday 2023-04-18

Hello MOL,

After posting on these boards for a number of years, I thought it might be nice to meet some of you fine people in an actual cafe (despite this being posted in the "virtual cafe"). Also, less a cafe and more a bar.

This is super casual -- I plan on walking over to The Snug after getting off the train on Tuesday, posting here that I'll be around, and seeing if anyone shows up. And maybe start doing this semi-regularly grin

Here's the details:

Date/Time: Tuesday, April 18 ~6:30 (assuming the NJ Transit gods are in a good mood)
How to recognize me: I'll be wearing a blue Stone Harbor cap. I wouldn't say I'm short, but on average most people are taller than me ;-)  And my name in real life is Philip, which only coincidentally shares an initial with my screen name.

I shall endeavor to meet you there. Not sure what I'll be wearing, but you'll notice me by my "outraged at the prices of everything" red face.

M.O.. F-T-F (face to face) events were a thing about 15 years ago. 

They were fun. Usually based at a restaurant or bar and would be attended by about 20 people. 

Sorry I can't make it (due to a regular Tuesday night commitment) but glad you're trying to resurrect the "Face to Face" idea! I hope it succeeds and I can make it sometime in the future.

I will try to make it, but it's a busy week for me.

It’s just wrong that you guys are not meeting at Bunny’s… so wrong… I’m in Florida and I would have enjoyed meeting this Patient Virtual Writer. Enjoy!

I don't actually exist in the real world

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

M.O.. F-T-F (face to face) events were a thing about 15 years ago. 

They were fun. Usually based at a restaurant or bar and would be attended by about 20 people. 

Here was one where you had to wear a hat,,,

-s.

Great idea! Would love to, but I'm working late all week.

Jaytee said:

It’s just wrong that you guys are not meeting at Bunny’s… so wrong… I’m in Florida and I would have enjoyed meeting this Patient Virtual Writer. Enjoy!

not to start something, but for the past few years at least some folks have avoided patronizing that joint. I'd still go if it was there, but it wouldn't make me happy.

that said, I'm planning to stop in. I've got a rehearsal right up the street at 8, so the timing works grin

Looking forward to seeing folks tomorrow!

Is that Jim Buchanan in 3rd in the background of the photo?

RobertRoe said:

Is that Jim Buchanan in 3rd in the background of the photo?

no….that’s the “bubbly” guy. 

Wish I could make it… would need a passport first. Or a different calendar  cool cheese  Sip something nice for me?? question

Just worked out it’s Brekky time for me here, then. Woohoo! I might be enjoying Greek coffee and shortbread with my friend E. We’ll toast to MOL! 

joanne said:

Wish I could make it… would need a passport first. Or a different calendar 
cool cheese
 Sip something nice for me??
question

Just worked out it’s Brekky time for me here, then. Woohoo! I might be enjoying Greek coffee and shortbread with my friend E. We’ll toast to MOL! 

"Zoom" it.

joanne said:

Wish I could make it… would need a passport first. Or a different calendar 
cool cheese
 Sip something nice for me??
question

0830 on Wednesday morning for us, @joanne.

Being the night-owl I am, I don't think I will have surfaced, yet.

Toast twice!

nohero said:

"Zoom" it.

That could be an option.  Maybe a little later on a Saturday evening, so it's a bit later in the morning for us.

(Thinks. I've never done Zoom on this PC. It could be a good academic exercise.)

max_weisenfeld said:

I don't actually exist in the real world

LOL!

I beg to differ.

nohero said:

"Zoom" it.

Link please.

joan_crystal said:

Link please.

That was a joke.  No zoom.

I will not be coming. I just got back from the dentist and he said my front lip would be numb until at least 7:30pm. No way am I going to be drooling in front of people I don't know, or even ones I do. Have fun!

KarenMarlowe said:

I will not be coming. I just got back from the dentist and he said my front lip would be numb until at least 7:30pm. No way am I going to be drooling in front of people I don't know, or even ones I do. Have fun!

oh oh

I'll be there sometime between 6.30 and 7. I believe The Snug is now the Burke Tavern: Home of the $8 Bacon Slice!

Apparently the downstairs part is not open right now, so I’m at the bar on the main level when you go through the side door 

Forget Zoom! We’re here, in Runaway Bay, having a great time (now I’ve figured out my tech) and also celebrating my sister’s birthday

Shemademedothis (my D) is at work in Brisbane, but is joining us in spirit. His pic will appear shortly.

joanne said:

Forget Zoom! We’re here, in Runaway Bay, having a great time (now I’ve figured out my tech) and also celebrating my sister’s birthday

Happy birthday, joanne's sister! We should have taken a selfie but sadly, we're shy, anonymous types!

Great time, PVW, thanks for organizing!

ridski said:

Happy birthday, joanne's sister! We should have taken a selfie but sadly, we're shy, anonymous types!

Great time, PVW, thanks for organizing!

Yes, well done PVW! Had a great time! 

Hope you guys had fun, I hope you didn’t talk about Smedley…. He’s very sensitive you know.

Was a lot of fun, glad people came out and I didn't end up drinking alone or having to burn this online identity and start a new one ;-)

I'll probably set up another in a month or so. The location worked out nicely for me (apart for finding the lower bar was actually closed, getting locked in, and having to exit via the kitchen), but I'm pretty flexible in holding in wherever, so open to suggestions for the next one.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.