Movie Talk

Trying to change the poster on this thread.

Train_of_Thought said:

Came up somewhere on the Fios cable channels. My wife and I couldn't NOT watch it. An all-time fave.

It's a good one. Do you like The Verdict? Another film that doesn't play often. Yet I can catch A Few Good Men several times a year. I do enjoy it but could they mix it up a bit?

I’m not sure if The Aeronauts has been mentioned but I loved it.  

Morganna said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Came up somewhere on the Fios cable channels. My wife and I couldn't NOT watch it. An all-time fave.

It's a good one. Do you like The Verdict? Another film that doesn't play often. Yet I can catch A Few Good Men several times a year. I do enjoy it but could they mix it up a bit?

Yes, I like The Verdict very much.

I really enjoyed Adam Driver in Paterson on Prime.  It goes through the simple daily routine of this bus driver/poet in Paterson, NJ.

Love Adam Driver. 

I'm not getting Prime. I'm having a small private war with Amazon. I refused to order a new leaf blower through them because they always sign me up for something free, I can't seem to decline and then they charge me and I have to argue to get my money back if I can even reach someone.

Hmmm, maybe this rant belongs on Soapbox All Politics.

Back to movies, I just saw Stand Up Guys. It was easy for me to like it with Christopher Walken, Al Pacino and Alan Arkin.  Just kind of fun.

I don't think I've ever been disappointed in a Pacino film.

On the other hand I watched De Niro in Cape Fear again. Great actor but hard to watch and much creepier than the old Robert Mitchum , Gregory Peck  Cape Fear.

Morganna said:

Back to movies, I just saw Stand Up Guys. It was easy for me to like it with Christopher Walken, Al Pacino and Alan Arkin.  Just kind of fun.

On the other hand I watched De Niro in Cape Fear again. Great actor but hard to watch and much creepier than the old Robert Mitchum , Gregory Peck  Cape Fear.

Speaking of Chris Walken, he was in THE DEAD ZONE (1983). From a Stephen King book, directed by David Cronenberg, and starring Walken, Brooke Adams, Anthony Zerbe and Martin Sheen as a very Trump-like despot, it's an eerie vision of what happens when one man sees the future and takes a deadly Stand oh oh against it. Highly recommended for Walken, King and Cronenberg fans. (Available free on Prime.) 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Morganna said:

Speaking of Chris Walken, he was in THE DEAD ZONE (1983). From a Stephen King book, directed by David Cronenberg, and starring Walken, Brooke Adams, Anthony Zerbe and Martin Sheen as a very Trump-like despot, it's an eerie vision of what happens when one man sees the future and takes a deadly Stand
oh oh
against it. Highly recommended for Walken, King and Cronenberg fans. (Available free on Prime.) 

Definitely one of the better adaptations of a King novel, with Walken playing against his usual type.  More sad than scary.

I saw the Dead Zone but I feel like I would like to watch it again, as I don't remember it well. It rarely plays

I am a Steven King fan but I lean towards his more realistic situations.

Misery both the book and the film. Loved Dolores Claiborne, book and film. And was totally spooked by the book Gerald's Game which was never made into a film. 

Pet Sematary liked the book better than the movie.

And of course the popular Shawshank Redemption.

Speaking of King, they're doing a remake of The Stand, which is my favorite King book.

I think it's slated for a 2020 release on CBS All Access.

Also, Gerald's Game was made into a movie in 2017.

drummerboy said:

Speaking of King, they're doing a remake of The Stand, which is my favorite King book.

The Stand RULES!!!!

drummerboy said:

How did I miss that? 

Did you read the book?  It left me with a kind of fear that Psycho left with the shower scene. I won't spoil it for anyone who is not familiar with it.

For King fans, there is a scene in both Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne that is strange and appears in both books. I've never been aware of any other writer doing this. 

I have not read Gerald's Game. Or Claiborne for that matter.

And you probably missed the Gerald's Game movie the same way I missed The Stand Up Guys. How was I not aware of a movie with Walken, Pacino and Arkin? duh. Sometimes there's just too much to keep track of.

drummerboy said:

I have not read Gerald's Game. Or Claiborne for that matter.

And you probably missed the Gerald's Game movie the same way I missed The Stand Up Guys. How was I not aware of a movie with Walken, Pacino and Arkin? duh. Sometimes there's just too much to keep track of.

Oh please read Gerald's Game.  I'm a sucker for things that go bump in the night.

And I kicked off my All Things Halloween thread earlier than usual so if anyone is looking for scary facemasks, the Covid kind, I'm posting there.

drummerboy said:

Tarantino is doing a Star Trek movie?

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-is-just-what-the-franchise-needs/

It was on for a few years, then off at the beginning of this year. I guess it's back on again.

Arguments with the franchise over Kirk ripping the head off of a tribble and eating it. 

It's Cary Grant day at TCM. What a brilliant comic actor.

“Listen, the last man that said that to me was Archie Leach, just a week before he cut his throat.”

Cary Grant's nightclub scene in The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer. Any scene from Arsenic and Old Lace. 

I Was a Male Warbride. The Philadelphia Story. Holiday.

Comic genius.

Are there any movies anyone refuses to watch?

I can't bring myself to watch 127 Days, though it keeps on coming up in lists of movies to watch.

Just can't do it. And I've watched some pretty bizarre sh*t.

As for Cary Grant - I watched Bringing up Baby today, and he was just amazing.

I had no desire to watch La La Land but I tried it as background and I couldn't do it.

Watched an interesting well reviewed movie called The Florida Project (William Dafoe is the only known actor in it). Takes place in a seedy more or less welfare motel somewhere on the less nice fringes of Disneyworld in Orlando.  The main characters are several kids, the children of the flawed and fractured residents.  It's a slice of life of America today. It's not a comedy, though there are laughs, but it's not hard to take either.   

drummerboy said:

I can't bring myself to watch 127 Days, though it keeps on coming up in lists of movies to watch.

Just can't do it. And I've watched some pretty bizarre sh*t.

As for Cary Grant - I watched Bringing up Baby today, and he was just amazing.

Grave of the Fireflies. No way am I ever watching that.

drummerboy said:

Man on Wire and Free Solo.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

Man on Wire and Free Solo.

Fear of heights? (not a movie, asking the question.)

I think I saw Man on Wire. It was ok, as I recall.

But yeah, I don't think I'll ever see Free Solo either.

drummerboy said:

Fear of heights? (not a movie, asking the question.)

Just the rooftop fight in Charade last night gave me the willies.

I guess Vertigo is not a fave either.

TCM is showing Miracle on 34th Street tonight. 

I'm not sure I approve of seasonal favorites being aired non-seasonally.

Apparently they're "live tweeting" it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!