My Life with Dogs and Cats

Well, the good news is I was able to get Simone out the front door and into the car at 10:30 at night.
The bad news is we were on our way to Westfield vet emergency.

I was just getting ready to go to bed and let Simone and Hunter out the back. I stopped to get a flashlight, so I was delayed behind them by about 20 seconds. When I got out they were wild, and I thought they were fighting, but no...they were backing a rat into a corner by the porch. I was able to call Hunter back by saying I had cookies. But Simone would not come. Suddenly I heard shaking sound and she took off with the rat in her mouth further into the yard. (in the dark). I could not convince her to drop it for almost a minute. She stood over it. ME--being squeemish, didn't dare get closer. I set the flashlight on her. I could see blood on Simone's neck, and I got all weepy. FINALLY she came to me and inside we went. I washed her up. All the blood on her neck was not her own. She had a small bite on her muzzle and over the top of her right eye.

Then, I went outside to see the rat. I'm happy to report that it's death was swift and it did not suffer, not even a few seconds. Without specific details I can tell you, if you were a rat and were shaken by a 79lb dog, almost every bone in your body would be broken and your guts would be hanging out.

Gagging I put it in a bag. Then I went inside, and looked online for info on what to do next about Simone.

If your dog is bitten by a wild rat, it will need to go on antibiotics as precaution to avoid infections.

Yike! Too much excitement by far, Jeanne. I hope Simone is doing well now and that things have calmed down.

I hate when it rains, and not because I hate rain. I don't. In fact, I like the rain. I just threw grass seed down all over the front yard a few weeks ago, so yes, I'd like it to rain.

But I hate when it rains. If you are a rain-hating-dog owner you know what I mean. The dogs become snorting, crying babies about it, and refuse to go outside. I drag and pull them outside and stand there getting all wet--ALL OF US!. SO they all stand outside in the rain looking pathetic and drippy until I'm convinced they don't have to do anything. Once inside, they all go sneak around messing. While I'm cleaning one mess, another dog is sneaking around making another. It's a poop-a-thon!

NOt only do I have to marathon clean all the poop--all the dogs still have to pee, so they keep asking to go outside, and then refuse to step foot out the door once it's open.

The above also applies to wind. I hate when it's windy too.

>:p
We've been trying to train Precious to go quickly in the back yard when we go out the back door, looking ahead to winter snows. Didn't really work in the rain, so don't know how effective this southern transplant will take to snow.

I was worried that people would be ringing the doorbell all evening before I got home, and Simone would be going nuts scratching the hell out of the door so I've taped this note to the front entrance:

So, jeanneh, whoever you are, you just put a sign on your door that says "Please ring the doorbell, awesome Halloween terrors await."

I imagine by this time tomorrow there will be at least one thread discussing the Halloween trick or treat massacre of 2014.

And you think the dog poop is a big mess to clean up? Trick or treater bones and entrails are far worse. Trust me.

grin)

My sign usually says "No Costumes - No Treats." grrr

I cannot control the hell hound! She may have eaten the neighbors who used to live behind us---I don't know where they went!

AND THAT TIME, mrincredible, I was able to manipulate the rumors so the only report about them was that they moved to South Orange, or something. (((snicker))), yeah--right)

I had to turn the heat on in the kitchen and the bathroom this weekend!

Truthfully--I've been looking forward to warm floors! So have the dogs! Dog bed is now in the kitchen, so it warms up nice and cozy.

One of the $$$ splurges that I will never regret for either room.

I just want to make a comment about Halloween, and those greedy costumed short people who beg for candy.

"No you may not reach in and take a whole handful of stuff".
"Yes, all I have are fish crackers and popcorn. Live with it."

fish crackers and popcorn? We should have brought our little princess to your house!

I love that musicmz!!!!

I know I've been MIA here on my blog. Glad I stopped in to wish everyone happy holidays and a happy new year!

I'm feeling better finally and recovering from my last surgery which was 2 days before Thanksgiving. Hopefully I'm done with hospitals.

To celebrate, I had the bottom section of my hair dyed red/purple--just for fun. This time, I didn't use Cool Aid.

I'm disappointed in you, Jeanne. I was counting on more interesting Kool Aid colors. wink

Glad you are feeling better, and I hope that trend continues.

It's been quite a while since I posted anything here.

I'll recap the last year in a few sentences... I was super sick for a while, but now I'm good! I've had the same wonderful foster dog since the day before Thanksgiving--and he's still available for adoption. I joined Furry Hearts rescue and now am on the board of Directors. I've got 4 foster cats in my basement from the hoarding situation that FHR rescued 50 cats from. 3 are super adoptable--and 1 ...is not. Please..adopt these cats! And suggest a safe place to let the one feral cat go and live out his life.

And now why I am starting to post my blog again...

My Bella is sick. For the past few years she has bouts of bloody poop, but when taken to the vet--nothing is found to be wrong with her. In the past two weeks she has been lethargic--but eating, and pooping normally. I thought it was the heat bothering her -- leaving the air conditioner on in my bedroom 24/7 for her. She is eating grass and throwing it up on the living room rug (it's her favorite rug to vomit on). And now her breath smells like she ate garbage (but she has not)...so it's time for a full complete vet visit...and I'm nervous what he'll find.

Stay tuned....

Wow. That's a lot of stuff to catch up on! As usual, your kind heart is taking in lots of animals. grin Do you have photos or other information posted somewhere else?

I'm so sorry to hear Bella is sick, and I fervently wish it will turn out to be nothing but the heat, or at most something that is easy to treat.

And I'm glad you are feeling better yourself.

Hope all turns out well for Bella! Our beagle has a very sensitive stomach and along with his penchant for eating garbage I feel like I am much more acquainted with doggie digestive issues than I would care to be! Have you tried tylan/tylosin powder? It can be helpful in treating IBS or other GI issues. I have also found IAMS prostora to be a good addition to our beagle'sdiet to get his stomach back on track. I wish you all the best. I know how hard it can be when one of our furry "kids" is sick.

Yes, caring for animals with health problems is a huge worry. When we had Sasha (who had cardiomyopathy), I didn't even realize how much of my thought was given to vigilance in her behalf. When we lost her, I saw how tense I had been all the time, because I was so worried about her and needed so much to make every moment she had as good as possible for her. They can't tell us where it hurts in words, and we can't make them understand the efforts we are making for them so they will be more cooperative.

But I hope you and the vet will figure this out and cure Bella completely, Jeanne!

Just found this, as I was away for a few days when you updated your post and it sunk beyond the first few pages...

How are you? and how is Bella?

Believe it or not--Bella's problem was her teeth. It looked like she was going to loose some teeth--but luckily, it wasn't so bad once the vet got in there and starting working.

I felt like a bad pet parent because I had just not paid attention to her mouth. Now I know!!! And because Bella doesn't chew things, I now need to wash her mouth (This should be fun). I tried the finger tooth brush--BITE!!!! I think she thinks I'm giving her something to eat.

The other dogs teeth are ok--and suprisingly--my 12 year old foster dog's teeth are amazing!

...maybe it's genetics?

Believe it or not--Bella's problem was her teeth. It looked like she was going to loose some teeth--but luckily, it wasn't so bad once the vet got in there and starting working.

I felt like a bad pet parent because I had just not paid attention to her mouth. Now I know!!! And because Bella doesn't chew things, I now need to wash her mouth (This should be fun). I tried the finger tooth brush--BITE!!!! I think she thinks I'm giving her something to eat.

The other dogs teeth are ok--and suprisingly--my 12 year old foster dog's teeth are amazing!

...maybe it's genetics?

It's going on 10.5 months with the same foster dog. He's wonderful, so I just can't understand why he's still here with me? With a name like Mr. Wonderful (I didn't name him, but I kept the name because it fits) who could pass him over?

Jeanne, he's adorable but we have our hands full over here with our latest addition.

I'm glad to hear Bella is better. Pet health problems can be so hard. They can't tell you what they're feeling, and we can't tell them what we're doing to try to make them better.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.