Need reco to repair/strip/refinish 100 year-old oak front door

I have 100 year-old oak front door with a large beveled glass area (that currently is shattered thanks to my 13 year-old sonLOL). The door is an irregular size (9 ft tall by 32") so purchasing a new wood door would be very pricey. The door has been painted many, many times over the years by previous owners. I would like to get the glass fixed but also strip the paint off the door and have it refinished. 

Any recommendations on who could do the work?

Thanks,

Keith

I don't have anyone to recommend, but have you actually crunched the numbers?  A new door may not be that much more expensive.  I say that because I have 100 year old windows on the first floor and having them refinished would be close to the cost of buying high-end new wood windows.   

If your door is solid oak, and not a layer of veneer take it to Eastern Solar Furniture Stripping, on Edwards Road, in Parsippany. 

getting beveled glass around here is next to impossible.

Ordered glass for my door from here, perfect! (Not inexpensive)

https://dullesglass.com/

wharfrat said:
If your door is solid oak, and not a layer of veneer take it to Eastern Solar Furniture Stripping, on Edwards Road, in Parsippany. 

How’s he going to take the front door to his house to a place for stripping? Lol

conandrob240 said:

wharfrat said:
 How’s he going to take the front door to his house to a place for stripping? Lol

If he has a good quality locking storm door and a dog it can be done. 

lol. I have a locking storm door but I’m not living without a real front door while it’s “out for repair”. 

https://www.davidgreeneconstruction.com/

Dave Greene did a wonderful job rebuilding our old Dutch front door.  It has beveled glass panels in the top.  Buying a new door would have been more expensive and would not look as nice.  He nailed a sheet of plywood over the opening while the door was away in his shop. 

conandrob240 said:
lol. I have a locking storm door but I’m not living without a real front door while it’s “out for repair”. 

I did it while I lived in the South Ward in Newark.  My dogs barked a lot 

Thanks for the advice. I have a vestibule with doors that lock & a dogoh oh, so I can live without the main/inside door for a few days. I'll contact David Greene and Eastern Solar Furniture Stripping..

I called Eastern Solar Furniture Stripping and a guy answered and said they are out of business - fyi.

kmeyer said:
I have 100 year-old oak front door with a large beveled glass area (that currently is shattered thanks to my 13 year-old sonLOL). The door is an irregular size (9 ft tall by 32") so purchasing a new wood door would be very pricey. The door has been painted many, many times over the years by previous owners. I would like to get the glass fixed but also strip the paint off the door and have it refinished. 
Any recommendations on who could do the work?
Thanks,
Keith

Hi I’m charles owner of Rocha painting & Home repair 

I’m located in Maplewood NJ

I have the right tolls to remove the paint from old front doors 

I can get the work done at your house just need to remove the door to work and on the end of each day I will install back in place so your safe is not compromise 

I also do many hand man work 

Must of clients are located in the are 

If like me to stop by let me know 

My email is charlesrocha62@gmail.com

Cell 862-220-9059

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.