New York Football Giants

terp said:
It's odd, but I think if the Giants selected Dexter Lawrence with the #6 pick and Daniel Jones lasted until 17 & the Giants selected him there, there'd be much less talk about the pick. 

Dexter is known as a run-stopper and may or may not be a wise pick in a pass-happy league.

The most glaring weakness over the past few years has been the Giants' offensive line.  

As a result, Gettleman picks one offensive lineman in the 7th round.

They struggled against the run last year after Snacks left.  This will allow Tomlinson to slide over to DE which is a better fit in Bettcher's system.  This is Gettleman's rebuild.   

It seems like the plan is to revamp the secondary so the coverage on the back end will allow the Giants to blitz more.  Hopefully, this works out as they don't seem to have any top pass rushers at the moment.  

I'm not sure the Giants are all the way through the rebuild, but if more of these players pan out than not, they will have a lot fewer holes in next years draft. 

BTW:  Corey Ballantine who is a CB the Giants selected in the 6th round was shot yesterday. It seems like he will be ok, but one of his teammates was killed. 

terp said:
It's odd, but I think if the Giants selected Dexter Lawrence with the #6 pick and Daniel Jones lasted until 17 & the Giants selected him there, there'd be much less talk about the pick. 

The only problem with that  is that both Denver, who traded out right after the Giants drafted Jones and Redskins, who reportedly wanted to trade up, never did, after Jones was chosen.  Having said that, while I would have loved Josh Allen, there is no way Jones makes it to #17.

vermontgolfer said:

terp said:
 The only problem with that  is that both Denver, who traded out right after the Giants drafted Jones and Redskins, who reportedly wanted to trade up, never did, after Jones was chosen.  Having said that, while I would have loved Josh Allen, there is no way Jones makes it to #17.

I spent more time than I care to admit perusing mock drafts this year and I don't recall a whisper of Jones' name in the first round predictions.  

bub said:
 I spent more time than I care to admit perusing mock drafts this year and I don't recall a whisper of Jones' name in the first round predictions.  

On the CBS Mock Draft website they polled six prognosticators.

Jones to Giants at 17

Jones to Giants at 13 (mock trade up with Miami)

Jones to Giants at 17

Jones to Washington at 15

Jones to the Giants at 32 (mock trade with NE)

Jones to Washington at 5 (mock trade with TB)

I saw a cumulative mock draft thing that had him, on average, going lower than 20.  

If I’m a GM with my eye on a college player I like more than the public consensus, am I going to tell a mock drafter? I am not.

So when a GM says after the draft that other teams were also poised to draft that player earlier, I won’t be citing mock drafts to argue with him.

my take is that Eli will be the starter no matter what ( how impressive the new kid  may be)

I just hope that they will give him a chance to play when we are losing by 30 or maybe winning by 30

(not an eli fan)(lifelong giants fan)

oots

At this point, the real question is when will they use him?  When Manning first came up, they replaced Warner (I think it was Warner) with Manning when the team was like 5-4.   I suspect that they will stick with Manning as long as they have a winning record at the mid point in the season or in the playoff hunt.  

ridski said:

Well, it's official.

https://www.giants.com/news/daniel-jones-named-giants-starting-quarterback-for-week-3

Let’s hope e has the same type of career as Eli and is as consummate a pro as Eli was. Go DJ!

let's hope the kid steps up.

(not an eli fan!)

Let's hope a lousy team keeps the kid from getting hurt.  That's the only reason to keep EM playing.  Let him take the shots until you can draft some protection.  

Actually, Oline has been giving Eli plenty of time this year. That's probably a factor in the decision.

Eli used up his SB rings pass 2 seasons ago. It's time... 

Eli has been fine this season. Pedestrian, but fine.  

The team has much bigger flaws on defense and has no receivers.  

It's a lost season anyway, so why not develop the new guy?

And fire Gettleman.

A Premier League fan I know had this to add:

“Lads, it’s Eli Manning.”

Eli's been fine this season using the most minimum of standards. Change is scary but he's been done for 2 years. Should have sent him to Cleveland instead. 

Eli's time to sit has come.  Fine.

But the defense has given up 63 points in two games and is ranked 30th in the league.  Folks, the QB is not the main problem here.

mfpark said:

Eli's time to sit has come.  Fine.

But the defense has given up 63 points in two games and is ranked 30th in the league.  Folks, the QB is not the main problem here.

the defense is about 90% of the problem 

The defense is the problem and also a big reason Eli has 2 rings, he's never really been a high powered QB. Still doesn't negate the fact that Eli is washed up as they say. 

It's Daniel Jones's time. But nobody should expect too many Ws. 

Don't feel to bad for the Giants.  The Jets are 21.5 underdog to the Pats.  Week 3 and it's already I must turn away time. 

I don't really pay attention to local football unless it's playoffs time. I just learned, for example, that Odell Beckham was traded in the off season. Which makes no sense to me - I don't care what kind of "personality" he might have.

But I came across two good pieces on our local teams today that you all might find interesting:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/18/20871049/giants-jets-helmet-catch-butt-fumble-daniel-jones-sam-darnold

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eli-manning-was-an-all-time-average-qb/

well, that was exciting

Wow!

We got a quarterback!!

Tip of the cap to the Dookie.

The dude has a nice touch on his throws. Great to see a QB with mobility! Now they have to get the defense to play better. I thought the corners started playing better in the second half when they pressed at the line. Let them trust the safety help and get aggressive on the receivers. They're young and quick. (Except for Janoris who is old and semi-used-to-be quick.) On to Washington. I know Landon Collins is dying to prove something but Daniel Jones at QB might be an entirely different story. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.