GOP 2024 - Slavery Bad, But On The Other Hand ...

It’s funny how this thread about the GOP primary keeps being about Obama vs Clinton.  surprised

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree. And I imagine you'll whiz on this source as awful, horrible, hackneyed, I must be kidding, etc, but good ol' wikipedia seems to be on my side. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_2008_presidential_primary_campaign

"On February 10, 2007, Barack Obama, then-junior United States senator from Illinois, announced his candidacy for the presidency of the United States in Springfield, Illinois....He had only recently emerged as a national figure in Democratic politics, having delivered the DNC keynote address just three years prior and won his Senate election shortly thereafter."  

Smedley said:

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree. And I imagine you'll whiz on this source as awful, horrible, hackneyed, I must be kidding, etc, but good ol' wikipedia seems to be on my side. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_2008_presidential_primary_campaign

"On February 10, 2007, Barack Obama, then-junior United States senator from Illinois, announced his candidacy for the presidency of the United States in Springfield, Illinois....He had only recently emerged as a national figure in Democratic politics, having delivered the DNC keynote address just three years prior and won his Senate election shortly thereafter."  

"national figure" is not party leader. I never said he wasn't that, or that he didn't have a profile in the party as a rising star. If you're going to argue against stuff I didn't actually write, I can't stop you. But I also don't have to agree with you.

The fact that Obama wasn't included in polls until he declared also makes my larger point. If Biden doesn't run there is probably someone out there that isn't being considered likely to run who could be a very strong candidate. Which is such an anodyne statement I don't know why we're arguing over whether Obama was famous or a Democratic leader.

I'm sorry I wrote that post now. The main point I was making is pretty banal (yes, I do know when I'm being Captain Obvious) and yet you want to argue with it.

ml1 said:

"national figure" is not party leader. 

I mean, that pretty much sums it up.  No need for further discussion. The issue at hand has been resolved.

I agree that “national figure” is not party leader. Kim Kardashian, LeBron James, and Tom Hanks can all reasonably be considered national figures, and none are party leaders.

However, the wiki link stated “national figure in Democratic politics”, the last 3 words you conveniently dropped in your referencing it. I believe “national figure in Democratic politics” is synonymous with party leader. Perhaps you don’t, but if a national figure in a political party doesn’t lead, I don’t quite know what they do.  

Smedley said:

I agree that “national figure” is not party leader. Kim Kardashian, LeBron James, and Tom Hanks can all reasonably be considered national figures, and none are party leaders.

However, the wiki link stated “national figure in Democratic politics”, the last 3 words you conveniently dropped in your referencing it. I believe “national figure in Democratic politics” is synonymous with party leader. Perhaps you don’t, but if a national figure in a political party doesn’t lead, I don’t quite know what they do.  

yes, you're right. You don't quite know what they do.

Smedley said:

there are committees in the Senate with ranking members. And chairs. There are leadership positions in the caucus hierarchy. 

There are Senate and House fundraising committees with officers. There are organizations of governors with leadership positions. 

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. 

Sorry my writing wasn't good enough for you to know what I meant. 

Smedley said:

I’m not sure there is any nationally well-regarded statesperson waiting in the wings. Might have to be a regionally well-regarded person who steps up to the national level. Who that is, I’m not sure - Whitmer or Pritzker perhaps?  Just guesses.

But I agree w your point on Joe. He beat Trump, got infrastructure passed and got us through the pandemic. Time to ride off into the sunset. No more dementia in the White House, please.

btw: welcome back. I always appreciated your authenticity. 

Thank you for your generous words. Whitmer certainly won the battle of Michigan and avoided kidnapping and assassination by representatives of the state's historically-crazy right wing (Michigan Militia, Tim McVey and pals). But, like you, I don't see a national figure with the stature to be a sure winner, which we desperately need.

Like Jamie, I like Shelly Whitehouse. Living in Little Rhody, I've come to admire him, Jack Reed, and Rep. David Cicilline. Nice combo of old school dems and some progressive ideas.

Ronna McDaniel won another term as chair of the RNC. I’m not sure what this will mean for the 2024 presidential nomination from the GOP. I’m sure some people in this thread will enlighten me!  smile

Not sure either. She's been at the helm for two disastrous elections but apparently was preferable to an even more extreme GOPer. I'm more focused on acquiring this gold bar for free!

mrincredible said:

Ronna McDaniel won another term as chair of the RNC. I’m not sure what this will mean for the 2024 presidential nomination from the GOP. I’m sure some people in this thread will enlighten me! 
smile

"Republicans in Disarray". Not alliterative enough, though.

Ron DeSantis and his crusade against "Woke" is a big part of his effort to "out-Trump" Trump and get the nomination. Article is "unlocked" -

Ron DeSantis Wants to Erase Black History. Why?

"Mr. DeSantis’s 'Stop WOKE' law relegates the study of the experiences of Black people to a prohibited category. The canceling of any students’ access to accurate, truthful education that reflects their diverse identities and that of their country should chill every American. Not only do these laws offend First Amendment freedoms of speech and expression; to the extent they harm certain groups on the basis of race, gender or other protected status, they also violate principles of equal protection. And they are a chilling precursor to state-sponsored dehumanization of an entire race of people.

"This disturbing pattern of silencing Black voices and aggressive attempts to erase Black history are one of the most visible examples of performative white supremacy since the presidency of Donald Trump."

jimmurphy said:

Jeffries has been doing a good job standing up as minority leader. 

Too soon for this cycle, but 2028?

I'm a big fan of Hakeem Jeffries.

I've also been a fan of Gretchen Whitmer and wish she would throw her hat in the ring. I watched her give her first State of the Union years ago and thought she just might be the first female Democratic President.  I'm sorry that Kamala Harris was not showcased but that may change.

Always thought Sherrod Brown should have run. Maybe it's not too late and I know the fact that he's an Ohio Senator is a consideration.

And I'll always vote for Cory Booker. He is my absolute favorite.

Who knows, this could be the time that Democrats decide to elect a woman. And I still love Elizabeth Warren.

nohero said:

"Republicans in Disarray". Not alliterative enough, though.

I like the acronym though. Let’s get RID of some more of them in 2024!!

Trump’s polling numbers seem to be stabilizing and maybe rising among Republicans. I think Democrats should be worried about another Trump candidacy, especially as we see the GOP stoking culture war fears about CRT and transgender rights. I’m not sure what it will take to beat back another hate-fueled Trump campaign. Pocketbook issues like gas prices and grocery prices are going to be critical especially since every media outlet keeps running stories about stuff like the price of eggs. 

Hi,

Haven't been here in a while, but here's my thoughts.

Not re-nominating Biden for reasons some of you have posted plays into the Right's narrative, which is always a losing strategy for the Dems.

As to the other Party, if anyone other than TFG wins a Primary he will say it was rigged and his followers will agree. If on the eve of the National Convention anyone else stands a chance of being nominated he will pull a January 6th and "invite" his folks to come to the Convention and "rally". If someone else is the nominee he will again say it was rigged and even if he does not run as an Independent his most fervent followers will stay home on Election Day.

OTOH if he is the Nominee all the Never-Trump former Republicans an Independents will either stay home or hold their noses and vote for Biden. 

That's just my opinion and maybe I am seeing the glass as half-full.

Oh, and whatever books HS students in Florida are going to read despite what Sanctimonious does, they should start with Fahrenheit 451, and hopefully some TV Station will play the movie on a loop.

I would love for trumpenstein to be the nominee next year… Biden will beat him by 20 million votes. It will be worse than 2020…

Trumpenstein is toast. DeSantis is heating up the oven as I write this.

Jaytee said:

I would love for trumpenstein to be the nominee next year… Biden will beat him by 20 million votes. It will be worse than 2020…

Trumpenstein is toast. DeSantis is heating up the oven as I write this.

TFG is an opportunist with no actual beliefs except in his own greatness,

Sanctimonious may be an actual Fascist.

STANV said:

That’s why I say he’s more dangerous than tfg. He’s a dictator. Fascist dictator.

STANV said:

Whether any of these guys are actual Fascists is beside the point.  They adopt Fascist strategies because they perceive that as their path to the GOP nomination.

The real problem is their lack of principles, and willingness to "do evil" for their own profit.

nohero said:

The real problem is their lack of principles, and willingness to "do evil" for their own profit.

Mussolini is prime example. 

STANV said:

Didn't even know there was a remake!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360556/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

By all accounts it wasn't very good.

Thanks. I'll skip it

Let's see how the scramble in the GOP is doing today. Oh, Trump passed along a picture of Ron Desantis as a pedophile teacher drinking with his students.

nohero said:

Let's see how the scramble in the GOP is doing today. Oh, Trump passed along a picture of Ron Desantis as a pedophile teacher drinking with his students.

It’s quite entertaining to watch these cretins self combust. I wonder what books he allowed his students to read back then…

nohero said:

DJT remains classy! Then again, all these people deserve one another.

There is not bottom in Florida.

Doctors raise concerns over Florida possibly requiring student athletes’ menstrual info

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/doctors-raise-concerns-over-florida-233238336.html

Thoughts on Nicki Haley?

Not my cup of tea, but the sanest of the declared and likely to declare. Does that make her unelectable?

Also the skinniest.  A greyhound in a field of pigs.

Will DeSantis demand to see her menstrual info?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.