Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news & Bible verses

crazier by the minute…

Try not to bite them…

mtierney said:

That is an extremely racist reaction and comment. 

If South Sudan cannot look for help within its own black neighborhoods — certainly not from Sudan —  what would you suggest?  Obviously, the nation is turning to their Christian community — of multi-colored hues.

Jaytee said:

Try not to bite them…

Well, there's an image I won't be able to get out of my head.

mtierney said:

A tale of courage for our weary, beleaguered minds….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/253569/the-four-chaplains-selfless-heroes-of-wwii-honored-for-sacrifice-80-years-ago

personally, my mind is neither weary nor beleaguered, thank you very much.

you should never assume.

mtierney said:

A tale of courage for our weary, beleaguered minds….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/253569/the-four-chaplains-selfless-heroes-of-wwii-honored-for-sacrifice-80-years-ago

It's an amazing story and the actions of these clergymen would be hard to describe as anything other than heroic.

That said, when considering stories like this and their meaning in the larger world of religion, it should always be born in mind that the German's had chaplains too.

May I just go back to slugs as food for a moment? Have you all forgotten the highly nutritious and delicious witchetty grub??

https://www.pilotguides.com/articles/taste-of-the-outback-witchetty-grub/  
(yes, I realise that this wasn’t the point of the barb however since we’re building up general knowledge …) 

If you’re desperate for protein sources, don’t overlook what’s right next to you. 

Ml1 says”:

“personally, my mind is neither weary nor beleaguered, thank you very much.

you should never assume.“

You must market your method of remaining unaffected by 11,000 people being buried alive by an earthquake; A Chinese spy balloon — wait, that didn’t sail across New Jersey turf; or the homeless, drug-fed camps lining our city streets; or, well, just read the front page of whatever news source you favor.

joanne said:

May I just go back to slugs as food for a moment? Have you all forgotten the highly nutritious and delicious witchetty grub??

https://www.pilotguides.com/articles/taste-of-the-outback-witchetty-grub/  
(yes, I realise that this wasn’t the point of the barb however since we’re building up general knowledge …) 

If you’re desperate for protein sources, don’t overlook what’s right next to you. 

To be kind to fellow MOLERS, I won’t include a photo. is a grub and a slug one and the same?

Food Facts

Where it’s found: Exclusive to the deserts of Outback Australia.
Uses: Essential vitamins and nutrients.
Serving suggestion: Eat fresh of the Aussie Barbie.
Taste: Cross between chicken and prawn.
Don’t think of: Slurping on a garden worm.

Witchetty grubs are the small, white larvae of the ghost moth, which is native to Australia. They are dug out of the trunks and roots of gum trees during the summertime, and although the very though of eating grubs may be frowned upon by Europeans, witchetty grubs have been an essential part of the Aboriginal diet for centuries.

mtierney said:

Ml1 says”:

“personally, my mind is neither weary nor beleaguered, thank you very much.

you should never assume.“

You must market your method of remaining unaffected by 11,000 people being buried alive by an earthquake; A Chinese spy balloon — wait, that didn’t sail across New Jersey turf; or the homeless, drug-fed camps lining our city streets; or, well, just read the front page of whatever news source you favor.

you're right the Chinese balloon didn't upset me. China and the U.S. spy on each other all the time. I'm more concerned when foreign agents hack into government and private databases and steal my PII. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

With regard to your point about the "camps lining our city streets", it is a delusion, so of course that doesn't concern me. I'm in the city all the time so I know it's not true.

The earthquake in Turkey and Syria is of course very saddening. My family visited Turkey about a decade ago, and it is a wonderful place full of very friendly, hospitable people, tremendous culture, and magnificent natural beauty (and the Turks love cats). But does it have me weary and beleaguered to think of it?  No, I think I'm tougher than that. It takes a lot to overwhelm me. If anything the rise of Erdogan and authoritarianism in Turkey has been far more difficult to witness than a natural disaster. The Turkish people can rebuild homes and infrastructure. Getting their full freedoms back will be more challenging.

so, again, you should never assume...

I met a newish neighbour this week, a lovely professional fisherman with a talent for growing vegetables. Kadir was born in Ankara and still has some relatives there; naturally he’s worried. We’re bonding over the love of good coffee (I have an ibriki at home, and know how to boil the strong brew cheese )  (yes, he knows I was taught by Greeks!!!)

Often the simple things are universal, and we complicate them by over-thinking.

We’re learning this every day our unhoused friend stays with us, too.

Ml1 posts that he  is not weary over the “saddening” earthquake in Turkey which has killed 11,000 people, and does not see the homelessness in NYC ( who was it the Mayor was sleeping with a couple of days ago on a NYC sidewalk? Or who were being put up in $500 per night hotels?

With no relevance to the earthquake topic at all, I recall my memorable visit to the mosques and churches of Turkey, the pyramids in  Egypt, and sailing  down the Nile. 

mtierney said:

Ml1 posts that he  is not weary over the “saddening” earthquake in Turkey which has killed 11,000 people

I'm really confused by this statement, mtierney. Can you clarify? Exactly what is it about this horrific natural disaster that's supposed to make us sleepy?

She’s trying to “wake” up the supposedly “woke” crowd in maplewood. No one has started a thread about the earthquake so it seems like no one cares, just like there’s no threads on the tent cities popping up all over in the “awoken” states of the union…but she’s atoned her sins because she walked among the pyramids and sailed along the Nile…unlike these hedonistic folks inhabiting Essex county.

To clarify any confusion…..and avoid “assuming” stuff, my reference to the pyramids, etc was in response to some relatives of Ml1 going to Turkey. Any connection to the devastating  earthquake? Not really. Reread Ml1’s post of 2/8, 4:11 and things will be sorted out.

Ml1 said…

ml1

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:20pm

mtierney said:

A tale of courage for our weary, beleaguered minds….

personally, my mind is neither weary nor beleaguered, thank you very much.

you should never assume.

mtierney said:

Ml1 posts that he  is not weary over the “saddening” earthquake in Turkey which has killed 11,000 people, and does not see the homelessness in NYC ( who was it the Mayor was sleeping with a couple of days ago on a NYC sidewalk? Or who were being put up in $500 per night hotels?

With no relevance to the earthquake topic at all, I recall my memorable visit to the mosques and churches of Turkey, the pyramids in  Egypt, and sailing  down the Nile. 

I haven't denied the existence of homelessness in NY. But there are not homeless camps "lining the streets."

and to echo Mr. ridski -- why should we be "weary" over any natural disaster? Katrina for instance, was horrifying, tragic, infuriating.  Pick your own adjective. But "wearying" it was not, at least no to me.

Matthew 7:3-5 is applicable here. 

Defending religious freedom -

https://religionnews.com/2023/02/08/democrats-pass-resolution-condemning-white-religious-nationalism/

“Democrats pass resolution condemning ‘white religious nationalism’

‘Theocracy is incompatible with democracy and religious freedom in a pluralistic society,’ the resolution read in part.”

mtierney said:

To clarify any confusion…..and avoid “assuming” stuff, my reference to the pyramids, etc was in response to some relatives of Ml1 going to Turkey. 

sorry for not being clear. I went to Turkey. With my family.

It's a wonderful country and it is indeed quite sad what has happened there.

See screenshot of memo. Having difficulty uploading the memo at this time.

RealityForAll said:

See screenshot of memo. Having difficulty uploading the memo at this time.

Shot from first page of memo, with the definition of the groups being discussed (in the first footnote).

Link: https://i0.wp.com/www.uncoverdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Richmond_Intel_product-1.png

Hey mohero thanks for trying.  But your image (as posted on my device) shows only left margin of the document.

ETA:  now displaying five or six lines of memo.  No header or footer displayed..

nohero, appears the definition of Radical Traditional Catholic (AKA "RTC") as set forth in the FBI memo footnote is in agreement with the SPLC definition of RTC.

Link to SPLC RTC:  https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/radical-traditional-catholicism

Today, is the first term that I ever heard/saw the acronym "RTC."

RealityForAll said:

nohero, appears the definition of Radical Traditional Catholic (AKA "RTC") as set forth in the FBI memo footnote is in agreement with the SPLC definition of RTC.

Link to SPLC RTC:  https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/radical-traditional-catholicism

Sometimes they're just referred to as "Rad Trads".

nohero said:

RealityForAll said:

Sometimes they're just referred to as "Rad Trads".

Until today, I have not heard/seen the term, "Rad Trads" (nor RTC).  I am curious, where have you heard/seen the term "Rad Trads" (prior to today)?

RealityForAll said:

Until today, I have not heard/seen the term, "Rad Trads" (nor RTC).  I am curious, where have you heard/seen the term "Rad Trads" (prior to today(?

It's a term and a topic discussed in Catholic circles.  Here are two examples from over the years.

Bishop Barron hosts invite-only meeting to discuss 'rad trads,' online vitriol | National Catholic Reporter (ncronline.org)

"Los Angeles Auxiliary Bishop Robert Barron hosted an invite-only meeting of Catholic media professionals last week to discuss "disturbing trends in the online Catholic world," including the rise of 'radical Traditionalist' movements that are often marked by personal attacks and vitriolic commentary."

Confessions of a Post-RadTrad Millennial: The Perfect Sacrifice | Church Life Journal | University of Notre Dame (nd.edu)

"This mindset followed me throughout college when I was part of the Latin Mass Society of Quincy, Illinois. It started as a casual encounter covering a story for my undergrad’s newspaper of the 'Tridentine Mass' coming back to Quincy after a forty-year absence. Next thing I knew, I was firmly entrenched in the 'Rad Trad' (radical traditionalist) ghetto of Quincy. What I saw and heard scandalized me. The leader of this group openly said to me in the article, 'It’s called the Novus Ordo "mass" because "NO Mass" happens.' Senior year, I was so fed up with post-modern interpretations of liturgy on campus and the rad trads across town that I sometimes drove to St. Louis for Mass."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.