Twitter is a Private Company

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

He asked a question. And the mindset that we shouldn't ask questions -- or risk being canceled as an "enemy" -- has a whiff of fascism.

I’m surprised that anyone who read the Fox News Digital story and saw what “gender ideology” in math (“them/their” pronouns in word problems) and “secret gender changes” (nothing that N.J. law doesn’t already allow) actually entailed still had that question.

Possible that Musk just read the headline (like most Americans) so he asked Target for an explanation, which he got through his "Readers Notes".

Would you prefer we believe you actually believe that -- insulting to you as that would be -- or understand that you don't really believe that -- insulting to you as that would be?

If Elon really wanted to know, why didn't he text Brian Cornell? Richest man in the world and he's asking questions to a corporate communications department, SMH.

I just read on the BBC news site (yes, I’m slow catching up on news this week) that Twitter is definitely pulling out of the EU’s voluntary code on fake news. So I have to ask, what good are any of the so-called ‘verification’/authentification checks one can arrange to be displayed against a particular account name or tweet? What good is any business reputation either Mr Musk, anyone else on the Twitter board or any other account holder has, if the company openly doesn’t seem to care if either ‘news’ or ‘news fiction’ or ‘news parodies’ are equally disseminated with no way to distinguish between them??

It’s worse than a supermarket tabloid. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65733969

paulsurovell said:

Possible that Musk just read the headline (like most Americans) so he asked Target for an explanation, which he got through his "Readers Notes".

And questions posed without reading the material ought to be immune to pushback because free speech.

PVW said:

Would you prefer we believe you actually believe that -- insulting to you as that would be -- or understand that you don't really believe that -- insulting to you as that would be?

I believe it’s possible, and leave the insulting implications of that belief to others.

paulsurovell said:

Musk had the audacity to ask Target whether the Fox News attack article was true. What transpired was a substantive rebuttal of Fox by Musk's "Readers Notes" feature. A much better outcome -- that has the chance of changing minds -- than attacks on Musk for asking the question. Such attacks tend to harden positions, and raise the additional issue of appearing to oppose free speech.

As Mark Twain once said, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.”  That's exactly what Musk wanted to happen and probably what did happen.  How many of Musk's followers/adherents do you think saw his post before it was fact-checked (and even after it was fact-checked how many refused to believe that it was not true) and now think that Target is "doing bad things" and will now try to cancel it.

All this is apparent and you twist yourself into a knot trying to defend Musk.  Unbelievable. 

Steve said:

As Mark Twain once said, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.”

Reader adds context he thinks people might want to know

Mark Twain is as likely to have said that as Voltaire.

DaveSchmidt said:

PVW said:

I believe it’s possible, and leave the insulting implications of that belief to others.

Exactly.  Some people don't think it's insulting to be thought of making excuses for anti-LGBTQ messaging.

paulsurovell said:

Musk had the audacity to ask Target whether the Fox News attack article was true. What transpired was a substantive rebuttal of Fox by Musk's "Readers Notes" feature. A much better outcome -- that has the chance of changing minds -- than attacks on Musk for asking the question. Such attacks tend to harden positions, and raise the additional issue of appearing to oppose free speech.

Musk asked if Target donated to GLSEN. He asked the question with the assumption that supporting GLSEN would be a negative for Target.

The "Readers Notes" said that Target had donated for years. Whatever "substantive rebuttal" anyone thinks is there (and it's some more information without formally "rebutting" the aspersions), it doesn't change the fact that GLSEN is still viewed as negative by the Fox audience, which negative view is supported by Musk.

paulsurovell said:

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

He asked a question. And the mindset that we shouldn't ask questions -- or risk being canceled as an "enemy" -- has a whiff of fascism.

I’m surprised that anyone who read the Fox News Digital story and saw what “gender ideology” in math (“them/their” pronouns in word problems) and “secret gender changes” (nothing that N.J. law doesn’t already allow) actually entailed still had that question.

Because he doesn't know how to use Google to get the answer?

ml1 said:

Or, because even if he knew the answer he'd ignore it.

Elon posted this today.  He's posted the same video in the past.

It's a comparison compiled in 2018 from Sinclair Broadcasting local news programs.  Sinclair is a right-wing, Trump-boosting owner of stations, who had its anchors read this script in order to support Trump's attacks on the "mainstream media".

Here's the last time before this one, when Elon posted about those Sinclair stations and that comparison (note the "Readers added context", which Elon ignores). 

PVW said:

I prefer that you believe whatever you want to believe.

Personally, I prefer to be thought a fool, as a fool who recognizes ones own foolishness can learn.

I don't think you're a fool, so I guess that leaves the second interpretation.

joanne said:

I just read on the BBC news site (yes, I’m slow catching up on news this week) that Twitter is definitely pulling out of the EU’s voluntary code on fake news. So I have to ask, what good are any of the so-called ‘verification’/authentification checks one can arrange to be displayed against a particular account name or tweet? What good is any business reputation either Mr Musk, anyone else on the Twitter board or any other account holder has, if the company openly doesn’t seem to care if either ‘news’ or ‘news fiction’ or ‘news parodies’ are equally disseminated with no way to distinguish between them??

It’s worse than a supermarket tabloid. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65733969

I wonder whether the "EU voluntary code on fake news" caught these fakes:

PVW said:

Personally, I prefer to be thought a fool, as a fool who recognizes ones own foolishness can learn.

I don't think you're a fool, so I guess that leaves the second interpretation.

I hope that makes you feel better.

DaveSchmidt said:

Steve said:

As Mark Twain once said, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.”

Reader adds context he thinks people might want to know

Mark Twain is as likely to have said that as Voltaire.

Who said it is irrelevant to susbtance of the comment (and you know that).

Steve said:

Who said it is irrelevant to susbtance of the comment (and you know that).

A lighthearted drop of information is all it was.

nohero said:

ml1 said:

It's a comparison compiled in 2018 from Sinclair Broadcasting local news programs.  Sinclair is a right-wing, Trump-boosting owner of stations, who had its anchors read this script in order to support Trump's attacks on the "mainstream media".

Here's the last time before this one, when Elon posted about those Sinclair stations and that comparison (note the "Readers added context", which Elon ignores). 

Dave S was on top of this long before Community Notes

paulsurovell said:

Once informed, you didn’t repeat the misunderstanding. What do you think of Elon Musk’s repetition?

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

If you open the link and listen to the Spaces discussion, Musk says it's open source. 

Paul’s earlier post described “a joint venture with the Ford Motor Co that will give Ford EVs access to Tesla's dominant super charger system”. 
I don’t know if that fits in the definition of “open source” if they have to form a joint venture. 

My non-tech expertise tells me "open source" means the software is available if others want to build them. Ford has formed a joint venture with Tesla that gives it access to chargers that Tesla has already built.

This earlier report answers some of your consistent attempts to obfuscate Musk's contributions to the fight against climate change, in this case with regard to superchargers:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-open-us-charging-network-rivals-75-bln-federal-program-white-house-2023-02-15/

Tesla to open U.S. charging network to rivals in $7.5 bln federal program

By Hyunjoo Jin and Jarrett RenshawFebruary 15, 20237:22 PM ESTUpdated 3 months ago

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 15 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) will open part of its U.S. charging network to electric vehicles (EVs) made by rivals as part of a $7.5 billion federal program to expand the use of EVs and cut carbon emissions.

The move could help turn Tesla into the universal "filling station" of the EV era - and risk eroding a competitive edge for vehicles made by the company, which has exclusive access to the biggest network of high-speed Superchargers in the United States.

By late 2024, Tesla would open 3,500 new and existing Superchargers along highway corridors to non-Tesla customers, the Biden administration said. It would also offer 4,000 slower chargers at locations like hotels and restaurants.

Biden wrote on Twitter that the plan to open a "big part" of Tesla's network to all drivers was a "big deal" and would "make a big difference."

In response, Tesla Chief Executive Musk said, "Thank you, Tesla is happy to support other EVs via our Supercharger network."

A White House official said at a briefing that Tesla would be eligible for a subsidy - including retrofitting its existing fleet - as long as its chargers allowed other vehicles with a federally backed charging standard called CCS to charge.

The administration said Tesla had not committed to adopting CCS as its standard, but it must comply with the requirements to qualify for federal funds.

Tesla has 17,711 Superchargers, accounting for about 60% of total U.S. fast chargers, which can add hundreds of miles of driving range in an hour or less. There are also nearly 10,000 "destination" chargers with Tesla plugs that can recharge a vehicle overnight.

Opening up access to Tesla's network would be a quick win for an ambitious federal program to build 500,000 EV chargers by 2030, up from 130,000 currently.

"Select Tesla Superchargers across the US will soon be open to all EVs,"Tesla wrote on Twitter, without elaborating on when, where and how it would open its chargers. It had already planned to more than double its U.S. Supercharger network by the end of 2024, it said.

I'll just reiterate that I give credit to Musk for popularizing EV and home solar technology.

But again, Tesla charging technology would have been compatible with all vehicles right from the start if Musk and Tesla's primary interest was saving the planet. Even now, as your article makes clear, Tesla is making a portion of its network available to other vehicle makes in order to be eligible for billions of govt subsidies.

I have no issue with Musk or anyone else making lots of money off technological innovation. It's our system after all, and it often does lead to important breakthroughs that have widespread benefits.

But if Musk's main goal was to fight climate change, and not to amass a personal fortune, Tesla would have been giving away their IP to anyone who wanted to use it to build EVs, home solar, or charging stations. And it wouldn't have taken the carrot of government subsidies to make it happen.

again, credit to Musk for making EVs cool among a segment of car owners. But the notion that these technologies wouldn't be moving forward if there was no Elon Musk is pretty dubious.

Good post, but Tesla's involved not only home solar technology, but industrial solar technology and industrial battery storage (Megapacks), as well as home battery storage (Power Wall):

https://insideevs.com/news/663527/tesla-solar-energy-storage-business-2023q1/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-tesla-continue-help-162355486.html

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

Once informed, you didn’t repeat the misunderstanding. What do you think of Elon Musk’s repetition?

Regarding his first post, he obviously doesn't follow me or you.

Regarding the second, either he forgot, or he was making the point that Sinclair was engaging in mind control.

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

ml1 said:

Since "Community Notes" was responding to Elon not being "on top of this", who knows when those people were "on top of this" - more likely long before, which is why they recognized that Elon was mistaken.

And then of course, there's Elon's repeat of the same "mistake".

paulsurovell said:

Actually, "Community Notes" was "on top of this" even before Paul retweeted the tweet from "AMC 2 Moon". The "Community Note" was already appended to the tweet on November 25, but Paul ignored it in making his comment on November 26.

Not sure what point is being made here by either Musk or paulsurovell or nohero, but John Oliver was on top of this back in 2017.

ridski said:

Not sure what point is being made here by either Musk or paulsurovell or nohero, but John Oliver was on top of this back in 2017.

For myself, the point was that Elon keeps sending out that video and claiming that it shows something sinister about all of the MSM - when its explanation is years old, as the John Oliver video shows.

At some point, people like Elon or Paul should at least learn a little more about something they send out that "blows the lid" off of whatever it is they have resentments about. For example, if you're "retweeting" something and ignoring the context that's right in front of you as you "retweet" it, then you're just part of the disinformation problem. That goes "double" if, once pointed out to you, you "double down" on it.

[Edited to add] The guy who originally did the story about the video may say it best (commenting on one of Elon's earlier uses of it] 

Timothy Burke made the video while at Deadspin, which was owned by Univision. You could say MSM is the only reason Musk or anybody else knows about it.

DaveSchmidt said:

Timothy Burke made the video while at Deadspin, which was owned by Univision. You could say MSM is the only reason Musk or anybody else knows about it.

I doubt that Elon is unaware of that fact. I disagree with Mr. Burke saying "Elon Musk may be the stupidest person on the planet". Elon probably knows what he's doing, cultivating a "fan base" from among the willfully ignorant.

nohero said:

DaveSchmidt said:

I doubt that Elon is unaware of that fact. I disagree with Mr. Burke saying "Elon Musk may be the stupidest person on the planet". Elon probably knows what he's doing, cultivating a "fan base" from among the willfully ignorant.

exactly. it's not Musk being stupid. It's Musk doing marketing for Twitter by setting it up in opposition to the "MSM."

paulsurovell said:

Good post, but Tesla's involved not only home solar technology, but industrial solar technology and industrial battery storage (Megapacks), as well as home battery storage (Power Wall):

https://insideevs.com/news/663527/tesla-solar-energy-storage-business-2023q1/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-tesla-continue-help-162355486.html

yes, I'm aware of Tesla's other technologies. I didn't feel I needed to list all of them to make my point, which doesn't change with that additional info.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.