The 2020 Democratic Candidates - NO VIDEO/PICS thread

Yes, it's beyond help on the other one.  So if anyone cares to discuss the candidates - without the opinion piece videos - please use this thread.  Lets avoid pics as well.  

Here's a list of the latest polls:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/democratic_nomination_polls/

Biden - Warren tied in Iowa.  Warren has a lead in New Hampshire.  And Biden is very strong in South Carolina.

But words are hard, Mr. Ross ...

Sounds like Tulsi is in the debate.  I guess her temper tantrum to boycott wasn't getting enough attention.  She is a bizarre candidate.

jamie said:

Sounds like Tulsi is in the debate.  I guess her temper tantrum to boycott wasn't getting enough attention.  She is a bizarre candidate.

On that stage, she'll be like the Russian torpedo at the climax of "Hunt for Red October" - safeties off, roaming around, nobody knows which target is going to be fixed upon.

jamie said:

She does seem Trumpian in her need for the cameras. Thank you for the new thread.

PVW said:
Hey, time for one of my hobby horses -- pushing for replacing our current system of government with a parliamentary one! The Constitution's pretty good, as far as foundational governing documents go, but it has a fatal flaw in assuming away partisanship. Co-equal branches checking each other, with members of each branch jealously guarding their branch's power against the other two? Clearly hopelessly naive. I mean look at the current situation, where Republicans and Democrats get to claim they're just private institutions that can set their own rules, including primary debates, but in fact de-facto run the actual government.
What we need is a system of government that accepts partisanship as a fact of political life and looks to party competition, not branches of government, as the source of checks on power.
Which candidate's running on this? How hard can overhauling an entire system of government be?

This could be a possibility.  One thing is certain and it is that the current system, which gives Joe Bob the Wyominger the same amount of representation as 30 Californians, is irretrievably broken.

Perhaps there needs to be a process by which demographically irrelevant states (like Wyoming) could be devolved back into territories.

I'm betting Tulsi will be asked about her position on the withdrawal from Syria. Her answer could be the start of a heated debate on stage.

Looks like Bloomberg is considering a run.  

Biden had his moment four years ago. I wanted Clinton to be President but I think if he had run we might be looking at President Biden and wondering if Nikki Haley would become the first female president. Based purely on the electoral college results I think Biden might have done better in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin than Clinton did. But that's in a different universe entirely (hey just for fun, who is Biden's Veep in that universe?)

But we're not re-running the 2016 election. 2020 is a new ball game entirely.

mrincredible said:

(hey just for fun, who is Biden's Veep in that universe?) 

I had hoped for a Biden-Warren ticket in 2016 with Biden saying that he wouldn't run for reelection.

Steve said:

mrincredible said:

(hey just for fun, who is Biden's Veep in that universe?) 

I had hoped for a Biden-Warren ticket in 2016 with Biden saying that he wouldn't run for reelection.

Its never too late for Biden to pledge not to run in 2020. One wonders whether he would even be in this race if Beau were still around to gently guide him along his path.  Sadly, Hunter is no Beau.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.