Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

mtierney said:

Jewish Bible resurfaces after 600 years!

https://joltofjoyful.com/the-worlds-oldest-hebrew-bible-found-and-up-for-sale/

And I just ordered one on Amazon for my mother in law. The problem is that the print is too fine for her to read it, but I asked my Jewish friend in Montclair to help me find one with bigger print. Anyone knows where I can get one to buy that would be easier for older folks to read?

When or if the buyer allows the book to be online, a reader would be able to enlarge the type.   Unless this buyer isn’t interested in sharing.

While on the subject of the Bible, as a Catholic who spent 12 years in parochial schools, my Lenten resolution is to read it a bit each day! i am way too old to give up chocolates for Lent!

Today’s random choice…

mtierney said:

While on the subject of the Bible, as a Catholic who spent 12 years in parochial schools, my Lenten resolution is to read it a bit each day! i am way too old to give up chocolates for Lent!

For reading the Bible online, this is a good resource-

https://bible.usccb.org/bible

Great link, no hero. This one (below) is for the actual Hebrew Bible plus standard weekly teaching, historic commentary (including from ancient sages and oral teaching) etc. 
The study version of the 5 Books is called the Tanakh. Rashi was a revered early medieval rabbinical scholar, teacher, scribe & translator.

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/63255/jewish/The-Bible-with-Rashi.htm 

NOTE:  I haven’t checked, but the pagination is probably backwards, because we read Hebrew from right to left. That means if there is full Hebrew text as well, the Bible will start at the ‘end’ of the book. 

The reading on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday…..

mtierney said:

Today’s reading…

nowadays we know that as a seizure, and not as demonic possession.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Today’s reading…

Was there a follow-up on this kid? I mean, he appears to be suffering from epilepsy of some kind, and if this was a short seizure we have no way of knowing if the kid was cured, or if it continued for the rest of the boy's life.

ridski said:

Was there a follow-up on this kid? I mean, he appears to be suffering from epilepsy of some kind, and if this was a short seizure we have no way of knowing if the kid was cured, or if it continued for the rest of the boy's life.

HIPAA prevented any follow-up by the authors.

ridski said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Today’s reading…

Far easier to hope and pray that this story has a happy ending!

Gospel, day after Ash Wednesday…

Gospel

Mt 9:14-15

The disciples of John approached Jesus and said,
"Why do we and the Pharisees fast much,
but your disciples do not fast?"
Jesus answered them, "Can the wedding guests mourn
as long as the bridegroom is with them?
The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them,
and then they will fast."

mtierney said:

Gospel

Mt 9:14-15

The disciples of John approached Jesus and said,
"Why do we and the Pharisees fast much,
but your disciples do not fast?"
Jesus answered them, "Can the wedding guests mourn
as long as the bridegroom is with them?
The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them,
and then they will fast."

That's today's Gospel reading.  This is from today's reading from the Hebrew scriptures (Isaiah 58:1-9) -

This, rather, is the fasting that I wish:
releasing those bound unjustly,
untying the thongs of the yoke;
Setting free the oppressed,
breaking every yoke;
Sharing your bread with the hungry,
sheltering the oppressed and the homeless;
Clothing the naked when you see them,
and not turning your back on your own.

Gospel

Lk 5:27-32

Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, "Follow me."
And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him.
Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house,
and a large crowd of tax collectors
and others were at table with them.
The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying,
"Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?"
Jesus said to them in reply,
"Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do.
I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners."

If anyone should be worshipped from that story, it's Levi, who out of thin air has a banquet ready not just for the large crowd of tax collectors, but also the Pharisees and Jesus and his disciples, and of course the first thing the Pharisees do is complain... 

So is this now the daily gospel thread?

ml1 said:

It should be changed to the religion category, as it no longer is about politics.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

ml1 said:

It should be changed to the religion category, as it no longer is about politics.

Yes, the last thing any Republican politician wants to be reminded of is that excerpt from Matthew 25.

During Lent, Catholics used to make resolutions and give up stuff during the 40 days of Lent. I really don’t know when that ritual went out of fashion, or even if it has. The Church never gave support to the behavior, rather hoping Catholics would choose more religious pursuits during Lent. Even as an adult, I continued to try to give up things during Lent, while attending Church more often.

My family and I, and my girlfriends, always pledged to give up ice cream, chocolate, and desserts — with an eye to losing weight —with resolutions to attend weekly Masses as often as we could, avoid “occasions for sin,”  and Pray the rosary daily. 

Please feel free to contribute comments related to the thread’s topic any time you want to. This Lent, I  “resolved “ to post the Gospel daily. Will I make it through 40 days? Only God knows.

Maybe giving up MOL for lent would’ve been better… this daily religious posting is not a sacrifice for you. 

mtierney said:

For those missing Pope Francis’ Lenten message here…. 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/253748/pope-francis-the-devil-uses-three-widespread-and-dangerous-temptations-to-divide-us

the devils are right there in the church. Looking like sheep…

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart:
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!

- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice", Act I Scene 3.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.