The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

ml1 said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Never heard of it either… 

I only heard of it in Killing Eve. So never thought of it as a SB word. 

There's a word I don't ever expect to use in polite conversation. Or impolite.

There was no way I was getting to genius yesterday anyway, but "alcopop"? That's a new one on me...

KarenMarlowe said:

There was no way I was getting to genius yesterday anyway, but "alcopop"? That's a new one on me...

I got Alcopop. I think Zima was the first.

Barely got Genius, which felt like an accomplishment.

KarenMarlowe said:

I actually made it to Genius and got to within 6 words of QB with "alcopop" (a word I've never heard before) being one of the six I was missing. 

No “attaboy”s for me. Only word I missed yesterday.

I'm one word away today. 

jimmurphy said:

No “attaboy”s for me. Only word I missed yesterday.

nice play on words on "attaboy"  cheese

ml1 said:

I'm one word away today. 

I'm three words short and likely to stay there today

eta: just found another word...now I'm down to two

One word away yesterday ("buyout," sigh).  Made QB today, but i use the Hints.  Didn't even really try the other day (Sat?) when there were about a hundred words. : )

ml1 said:

I'm one word away today. 

me too.

jimmurphy said:

me too.

I got the QB. Admit I used the hints for the last word. But I don't feel guilty though because I'm sure I would have got it if I stared at it long enough. 

ml1 said:

I got the QB. Admit I used the hints for the last word. But I don't feel guilty though because I'm sure I would have got it if I stared at it long enough. 

Oh how I loathe when multiple spellings of a word like “loath” trip me up.

Only word missed…

jimmurphy said:

Only word missed…

my last word was "aloha." Kind of funny. And I'm pretty sure I would have got it without a hint grin

Finished my first week ever on Sunday where I reached "genius" every day.

Saturday took a while.  6 pangrams is a bit much.

jimmurphy said:

Only word missed…

on a similar note...yesterday the two words I missed were :"alga" and "algal"

yahooyahoo said:

congrats on your Genius streak  snake

alha said:

on a similar note...yesterday the two words I missed were :"alga" and "algal"

Ha Ha, alha! ;-)

yahooyahoo said:

I got all six pangrams. Still seven words that I missed, including algal--I got alga--and luau. I knew all of them. I just didn't see them.

KarenMarlowe said:

I got all six pangrams. Still seven words that I missed, including algal--I got alga--and luau. I knew all of them. I just didn't see them.

I'm three short today. And I'll bet when I see the solution tomorrow I'll know all three. 

ml1 said:

KarenMarlowe said:

I'm three short today. And I'll bet when I see the solution tomorrow I'll know all three. 

For sure. Six words shy. Not looking at the hints though. I'll take my lumps.

I made it to QB today, but again, it took my son getting there first to light the fire. 

A short one today (6 July).  19 words get you to QB.

I missed yesterday by “aback.” Should have got that one. 

ml1 said:

I missed yesterday by “aback.” Should have got that one. 

That was my last word!

Queen Bee today.  The word list is pretty short.

yahooyahoo said:

Queen Bee today.  The word list is pretty short.

Same. Though I did look here this morning by mistake so had a hint going in (number of words), so it only kind of counts. Gotta remember not to look here until I’m done!

Got QB with hints. (I felt left out)

But for some family remarriages, no way I’d have sussed out the last word. grin

ETA: not the Pangram, which was the first word I got. 

jimmurphy said:

Got QB with hints. (I felt left out)

But for some family remarriages, no way I’d have sussed out the last word.
grin

ETA: not the Pangram, which was the first word I got. 

I stopped 3 short. I was never going to get "chuppah" because even though I know the word, I tried a few different spellings and gave up figuring it wasn't one of the solutions. It's weird to me some days what words are or aren't in the puzzle. Today's puzzle does not include a fairly common word for a type of fish that's on restaurant menus. And today's puzzle has so many words I don't expect to make it to Genius, much less QB. I've got 32 words and I'm just over half way to Genius points.

I got Captcha, but was trying it just for kicks.  Couldn't believe it worked.  This game is ridiculous sometimes.

mooewe said:

I got Captcha, but was trying it just for kicks.  Couldn't believe it worked.  This game is ridiculous sometimes.

I got that one too.  But I also missed two really easy ones -- "hath" and "attach". Some days I can stare at the puzzle and obvious words like "attach" don't appear to me.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.