The Vestibular Monologues: Pottery and Pilates

but so accurate. She is the toughest animal I've ever known. We expected her to die a decade ago from a gastrointestinal disorder the vet never did diagnose, but she hung in there, despite going down to skin and bones. Always unhealthy, but stolidly refusing to die. *sigh*

I'm checking the thread while watching Heroes Reborn, over Sunday breakfast. I'm convinced Tigger has a survivalist superpower!!

hated opening this thread! Been in your shoes more than once. As long as a cat can eat and does not appear to be in pain, I try to keep them comfortable until that changes. Cats have a way of signaling when they are ready in my experience. You will know.

Cats are masters at hiding pain---purring is frequently an indication of pain, at the end it probably does not denote pleasure, but is self soothing behavior. I blame myself for keeping Simon too long, waiting until there was an obvious sign of distress was a BIG mistake. Make an appointment for an in home euth so she is not subjected to more stress during the last  ride.  If you  can't go through with it, you can change the appointment.  But having this so fresh on my heart, I implore you not to look at this sentimentally, as a last tie to your mother, or to keep her alive out of guilt or denial.  If it is advanced enough to write about it, it is advanced enough to give her that final kindness.

I agree with Calli here, back in June my girl went a whole week with out eating, she was 18 years old, took her to the vet, she had some kind of tumor in her chest, but only found this out after I put her down, via the xray results which came in later. it was a sad time and a very difficult decision to make. Good luck, sending positive vibes your way.

I can search for it and ask around, but I don't know that there is such a thing as a mobile vet for that in my part of CT. I know it is almost time, but I'm hoping there will be a moment of clarity that helps me take the next step.

My own vet came to the house.  Many will do that if you ask.  Otherwise , you might contact Eleos vet and ask if they know of anyone in CT.

This is becoming more and more common, and kind of a niche practice.

There is definitely a mobile vet in southeastern CT who travels far and wide.  The folks at the animal clinic in Westerly, RI gave me the name about 18 months ago. Turco Animal Hospital

I just did a search for traveling vets in CT and came up with two that are not far away. So I have that information in my back pocket as I continue to observe Tigger. She is better than she was the day I posted about her time being very near. But I am keeping a very close eye on her and her quality of life. 

Well, Tigger is still tottering gamely from the couch, where she lies on a heating pad on low all day, next to me, to the food and water bowls and litter box and back. So evidently that period of worry was one of those late-life glitches that make your throat tighten but no more, for now at least.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to spring with great enthusiasm. So far, this winter has been so easy that I got through February without that inner clenching I get almost every year. 

We spent a few hours yesterday at our old CT house, cutting down small trees damaged by the storm last week beyond hope of recovery. And this week, weather permitting, I will start at our current house, removing shrubs that the harsher recent winters killed to make room for pretty replacements. It will be nice to give a fresh new look to the landscaping.

I am also making plans to improve my health. Cooking healthier foods is part of that, but I also plan to have the pool opened for the season soon, get some parts repaired or replaced, and learn to take proper care of it and use the solar heating cover so I can start using it every day. I am draining the hot tub and plan to use it for easy resistance exercise and soaking the aches and pains. And I am buying a pair of hiking poles. There are too many wonderful trails and parks around here to keep letting them go to waste. We took a great hike on New Year's Day, but I have been afraid to go anywhere on my own because my balance is so bad. If I have the poles and my iPhone, maybe I can strike out into new territory?

Did I mention here that we have my family's little sailboat in our back yard now? I want to take Jim and get some sailing classes in one of the huge lakes near here, hoping we might start using the boat until my nephew has a place where he can keep it. And I really want to try kayaking, still. We can rent kayaks and get lessons in Mystic, and the scenery is to die for. So many inlets on the coast, so many lakes and ponds, and so little use of them, so far.

Yep. It's spring, or will be very soon, and I am trying to raise myself from the muck and move forward. Busting out of winter lethargy, getting past the immobility of grief and health problems. 

For now, though, I am starting a project to paint the dining room and living room in two shades of a neutral greenish blue: Sherwin-Williams' Sea Salt and Riverway. The darker will go below the chair rail in the dining room, and the lighter will be everywhere else. 

And in the very good news category, my mother's house is under contract. We got a good price, and what seem to be very reasonable buyers. So I hope we will move smoothly to a closing sometime in April. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday marked the end of an era. We sold my parents' house on Long Island to a nice young couple. He is a firefighter, she is a nurse, and they look to be in their late 20s. I am hopeful they will love the house and take good care of it. I went around the back yard to take some plants that evoke the place and my family, including a fern I loved, a handful of daffodils, and a few shoots from the Rose of Sharon Dad planted. Thank goodness those things are so prolific I could take what I wanted and leave no obvious gaps in the yard! They are getting a good soak today in the rain, and tomorrow I will find places for them here.

*Sigh*

Now we can turn to completing the sale of our first CT house, refinance our current house, and start some renovations. First up: Get rid of that nasty carpeting on the second floor. WTH were they thinking???

Jeez. My heart is pounding from an email exchange among me, the realtor and the lawyer for the sale of our first CT house. Apparently, the buyers' agent was agitating today for a closing this week, and this is the first I have heard that a specific date was being discussed. The contract said "on or before May 10," and that ship has just sailed, but they were apparently still wanting to close this week.

I get that closing on two homes (sale and purchase) is stressful and very difficult to coordinate for the folks who are buying our house, but we have had no notice that they were this close to ready. Those dates in contracts have 30 days of leeway, IIRC, so I was totally blindsided. And, in fact, it seems there is some doubt that their buyer has the "clear to close" from their lender. But the realtor is making noise about closing this week, which might or might not be possible.

Given Jim's usual prompt attention to jobs that need to be done (HAH!) there are still some items of ours at the old house, including some exotic woods, a planer, and a dorm fridge. *sigh* All stuff that I can't handle on my own, but I'm not allowed to get help from a guy with a truck or anything like that. 

Sound familiar?

Anyway, within a week we should be done with all our adventures in real estate. And I just need to stay in as much control of the situation as I can and stay calm. After all, they can't close if we aren't there. 

tongue wink 

I don't know if it helps, but I've closed remotely on several properties. No need to be there in person.

You still have to move your stuff, though  

Yeah, the stuff is really the issue at this point. 

Honestly, we have both been worn out with emptying and fixing up houses this year -- first our old one, then Mom's, then our old one again, all in cycles around other events. It's been maddening. And this is coming at a time when we have to get our current house in good shape for family to visit later this month. Nieces and nephews graduating, family traveling in from out of state, etc. Too many moving parts! 

So it is pretty easy to push my stress button these days. Well, we will borrow a van and get it all out in one shot, vacuum, and wash our hands of it. FINALLY.

Oddly, I mentioned remote closings to the lawyers for the sale of my mother's house and our CT house, and in both cases was told it's not an option. I have done remote closings in NJ and loved that approach. Much more relaxing if you can just sign documents and return them by mail, or in your own lawyer's office, but for whatever reason, we can't do it on this one. *sigh* I guess all the lawyers have to be in the room at the same time here? Whatever.

Soon it will be done!

We were not present at the closing of our previous home in NJ.  Gave our attorney power of attorney.

NJ is amenable to remote closing down. CT not so much, evidently. I'm really looking forward to being done with real estate b.s.

Ahh, finally. We have almost completely emptied the old house, and closing is set for Thursday. I will go back tomorrow and get the very few remaining items, and while I'm over that way, I'll take the opportunity to go to some of my favorite little boutiques and have lunch at Mrs. Bridges' Pantry in Woodstock. And we can bring another era to a close and focus on fixing up our current house to make it exactly what we want. I'm very excited to be able to have a kitchen designed for ME for the first time ever.

You deserve that kitchen, for putting up with all the b.s. "they" make you endure....!

P.S. to the closing on my parents' house and the plants I liberated from their yard to plant here: There were several shoots coming up alongside other things that looked promising even though I could not identify them because they were so small, so I let them grow to find out what they were. They turn out to be Lily of the Valley, one of my Mom's favorites.  rolleyes 

And I went to the old house in CT yesterday and removed the last of our items. We are now officially done with that house, with closing set for Thursday. Thank heaven.

How lovely that you "liberated" one of your Mom's favorites!  

Sending positive thoughts for Thursday - hope all goes smoothly.  

A piece of garden serendipity. I have about eight, and my memories of them indicate they will be very fruitful and multiply in an effort to take over the world. Which is fine with me for the spot I have in mind.  smile 

Here we go again with Tigger. 

I had a concert this afternoon, and as I was on my way out the door I realized she had pooped on the sofa. I cleaned that up and went -- no choice about not turning up. I came home three hours later to find she had hauled herself all the way upstairs to the master bedroom and was perched in a small pile of Jim's dirty clothes. Maybe it smells like him? She doesn't want to move, didn't want to drink, sniffed at her wet food and licked it a little, but is otherwise basically shut down.

I think I will create a nest for her in the laundry room/bathroom for the night, but unless there is a truly miraculous recovery overnight, I think we will be going to the vet tomorrow.

LOL 

So sorry Peggy.  I hope for the best for you and Tigger.

Oddly, she has become Jim's cat. She has always been a crusty customer, but he never takes no for an answer from a cat. He is a master of socialization, and he tamed Tigger. In response, she is a real Daddy's girl. So I think this could hit him a bit harder than he would like to admit. 

I am leaving her in the laundry pile for now, with a bowl of water and a bowl of food. No need to scare her by forcing her to move. I just check on her once in awhile. 

She is a little more alert this morning. I gave her some water and left some of the best food in the house next to her. She meowed, and even stood up and stretched, but she seems very weak. I know Jim was awake when I left the room, so I'm sure by now he is curled in a ball around her.

Here is a question: how do you know when it is time to call a visiting vet? She has always been so terrified of visits to the vet, and unless I'm absolutely sure it is time, I don't want to make the appointment for the vet to come here... She doesn't seem to be suffering, only very weak and very puzzled. I wonder if she had a stroke yesterday? But anyway, how can I be completely sure now is the time?

I never thought I would get so fond of such a crotchety cat.

Last week as my husband was heading to the hospital, he asked me "to please not give Chloe away!"

His cat from the moment we saw her in the shelter.

Peggy - check with the visiting vets about their cancellation policy.  It might be possible to make an appointment and cancel as needed.  Visiting vets are in high demand.  

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you and Tigger.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.