The Vestibular Monologues: Pottery and Pilates

The Wife Unit uses Bonine when we go scuba diving, she has a bad time with motion sickness on the boat.

Tiger, I was thinking about those wristbands this morning. I have some leftover from our last cruise and will try them. Joan, stretching out and staying very, very still does help, or at least staves off the worst of it, but that's only a temporary measure. I saw the doctor this morning and have a prescription for prednisone to take down the inflammation in the inner ear. I'm seeing an allergist tomorrow, because evidently allergy flare-ups can make the inflammation worse and trigger the vertigo. I'm also seeing the head of this ENT practice in two weeks, and she might be able to help. Meanwhile, I'm doing what I can to limit the stress.

Sheesh.

Posted By: PeggyCMeanwhile, I'm doing what I can to limit the stress.

DRINK!

Mmmmmm, beer......

Ah, Deffy, you have no idea how much I wish that was an option. Unfortunately, I'm now on a low-alcohol, low-salt diet. Blech. Of course, both aggravate the ear problem. :fierce:

Posted By: PeggyCAh, Deffy, you have no idea how much I wish that was an option. Unfortunately, I'm now on a low-alcohol, low-salt diet. Blech. Of course, both aggravate the ear problem.

Hmmmmm, interesting problem. How about an interesting solution? Instead of drinking massive amounts to getting banged up, what about a couple shots of Everclear. As a matter of fact, I have a bottle of peach shine that should do the trick. :devil:

Peggy, they are doing some fascinating research - read the first couple of chapters of The Brain that Changes Itself. There's a way to reprogram the way the brain handles the messages it receives from inner ear so the world doesn't keep shifting.

Ginger tea also helps with combatting motion sickness effects.

Joanne, who's doing that research? My impression is that no one is paying any attention to Meniere's because it's such a low-profile disease that there's no money in it for any pharmaceutical company that finds a cure, or treatment. I will look up that book, however.

I've been doing the ginger tea, too. We keep fresh ginger on hand at all times, and I've started growing it. :thumbup:

Peggy, a friend of mine was dealing with it a few years ago and did the no-salt, no-wheat thing, at least for awhile. My mom said my grandmother had it and back then they just spent a lot of time in bed I guess.

Interesting about the no-wheat thing. No doctor or web site has suggested that, but my husband said it would be worth trying. Much more difficult to do than avoid alcohol or salt, but I can cut down.

PeggyC it's all part of the general neuroplasticity research these days. The book has a great chapter on the Wobblers, which also refers to people with all kinds of vertigo implications (so anyone with inner ear issues as well as brain/info processing issues). And clues on all manner of neat tricks you can slowly use to teach yourself to overcome your current ways of processing info so you can navigate more confidently around the world independently. I just love the book - and love the whole area of research!!!!!

PC, Joanne recommended the book to me and I bought it. Never read it and don't know where it is (typical me) but if you want to borrow it I will find it.

:facepalm: read a chapter apiece!!!

sopa, I think for you it was the beneficial effects of chokky and why it works the way it does. So you can get a 'script filled out!!! :wink:

The shortcut is to check out the PositScience website but the really good bits cost and it doesn't cover everything in the book anyway.

Yeah, but to read it I have to find it!!!

:wall::wall::wall: wonder if chokky is good detective-fuel???

:flowers:

Did you ever do the networking lunch, people? How'd it go?

I forgot to look - no brain to remember anything. Let me go and look now while I remember

OK, found it.

So PeggyC, do you want to read it? I would say that since i've found it I should read it but no reading gets done nowadays, and i'll just lose it again.

SOParent, why don't you read it first, then I'll have a go at it? YOu might as well go first, while you know where it is. :wink:

For the love of g-d I put the damn thing down and i've no idea where it is, I only had it a few minutes ago!

There must be gremlins in this house.

Posted By: SOParentFor the love of g-d I put the damn thing down and i've no idea where it is, I only had it a few minutes ago!

There must be gremlins in this house.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

And another great opportunity goes up in smoke!

I'm so PISSED with the NJ Dept. of Labor. I've been trying to claim my unemployment benefits for two days now, and neither the automated online system nor the phone system will process my claim. I keep putting in all my information, then getting a message that they cannot process my claim until I speak to a person at some office, and they give me the phone number. I call the phone number, only to hear that "due to the high volume of calls they have waiting," they "cannot take my call at this time." No option to hold. Just a message that I can "call back later." I've called probably two dozen times already, and have gotten this message each and every time. ARGH!

Something tells me the NJ DOL is completely and totally overwhelmed with all the newly unemployed trying to get their share of the money. Maybe they have an opening for someone to field the phone calls?

Jeez.

Peggy:

This is a common problem unfortunately. There truly are more unemployed filing for benefits than these field offices can handle. Is it possible to call a different office than you have been? Perhaps someone knows of an "inside" number you can use to reach someone who can help you.

I don't know if going to a field office in person is an option and in your present condition it might not be physically possible but that is another possibility to look into.

How is the Meniere's today? Has the doctor come up with a treatment that helps? It doesn't sound as if stress reduction is working right now. :sad:

Peggy first of all I wish you the best in your job search...like you I was let go in June so I know what it's like.

As for the unemployment I ran into the exact same thing...I was worried that I wouldn't get unemployment...I finally used the "contact us" email option and within a 1/2 hour someone from unemployment called me and got it all straightened out.

BTW If anyone has any job leads for me too, you can whisper me. I have database management, development operations, computer, writing, researching, skills to name a few. Also am completing a Masters in Liturgical Studies so I am also open to church related jobs like a director of religious education or pastoral associate, campus ministry etc.

Posted By: PeggyC... then getting a message that they cannot process my claim until I speak to a person at some office...

does the message seem generalized or specific to the info you entered?
did you wait the mandatory week before you can claim benefits?

NY unemployment has been a breeze. I guess that's why it a few hundred $'s less a week tho...
:cry:

Posted By: larsdoes the message seem generalized or specific to the info you entered?
did you wait the mandatory week before you can claim benefits?

I have no way of knowing if it was generalized or specific. And I've been told by others that we should file asap, that there is no waiting period?

I'm going to try the email from the contact us section. Didn't even know that existed. Their site is a horror to navigate.

NY unemployment was really easy by comparison, but that was five years ago, and I'm sure there are oodles more applicants now. :cry:

The Meniere's isn't as bad today. I did our customary six-mile walk into Maplewood and back, and although I started out a little bit dizzy, it straightened out by the time we turned around to come back home.

I'm working with an ENT and an allergist to try to get it under control and prevent future extreme episodes (or at least lengthen the time between them!). Am taking prednisone for the inflammation in the inner ear, short-term, and am back on a bunch of asthma meds to make sure my allergies are under control, too, because that can affect the inner ear also. Sheesh. So much inter-connectedness.

OK, so I will email the NJ DOL, and if that doesn't help, I'll go to the nearest office. I'll also try the other two phone numbers for different offices, and hope someone else can help from there.

Red Tape. BLECH. :fierce:

I think there was a weeks waiting period to RECEIVE the $, but that was NY.
don't listen to me...

good luck, though.
red tape DOES suck...

...and don't forget, all the State agencies are feeling the pinch, too. Even if there were no lay offs, there has been a lot of attrition and the State is under a hiring freeze. Things are tough all over. The State is expected to do, if not more, just as much with less.

Some days I feel like Sisyphus

Posted By: calliopeSome days I feel like Sisyphus

I believe it... I'm just trying to figure out where our money is going to come from for the foreseeable future.

PeggyC, {{{{hug}}}}} :flowers:
Hang in there.

I have vertigo periodically. I was in a grocery store, and tried to steady myself from reeling and the woman saw me trying to steady myself. She identified herself as a firewoman and taught me to pinch my nose and blow out to "pop" my ears. It worked! Only for a few seconds but it did give me a break from the feeling.

Wishing the best for you.

PeggyC, if you need to go to one of the offices in person and your menieres is still playing you up, please let me know and I will drive you there and back.

My husband is still on vacation, so I'm debating going in today. I emailed the office through the "contact us" address. The phone line is still overwhelmed this morning, or was when I called at 8 a.m. I'll try calling the other numbers I've got.

I hope this gets easier when I'm trying to make claims in the future.

The Meniere's is a little better. Now I'm kind of jangly and jittery from the prednisone, but at least the world isn't swimming violently around me and threatening to tip over and roll away.

Thanks, everyone. The support is much appreciated.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.