The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

oh dear LOL. I keep hoping things will get smoother, more peaceful. {hugs}

I was reading this opinion piece that essentially argued that the Trump presidency could (unwillingly) trigger an era of more progressive policy in the US. You have to think long term of course, not necessarily mid terms this year, but let's say over the next 10 years. Because Trump/GOP are doubling down on a demographic that is slowly but surely in decline. And millennials, immigrants, and others could be triggered into becoming politically active by them. And even if they did nothing, they are simply becoming a bigger voting block than old/white/GOP. And things like gerrymandering and the structure of our political system can mask this reality, or slow it down, but it cannot change that simple truth. This (growing) part of the population is less capitalistic, wants stricter gun regulations, better healthcare, fairer economy for everyone, more social freedom, etc.

Of course this only works if the Democrats renew their candidate pool and leadership (from 70+ year olds into more current and relevant people).

I’ve just read this BBC article on proposed new visa requirements: while of it seems fair enough, the details are quite alarming. I can’t remember my last landline number; I can’t remember my current one (it’s never used, it’s required by the landlord for some reason), and I’m always forgetting the new office numbers. Does MOL count as social media, in which case do I have to watch what I write?? What about my professional networking memberships here, most of which are online and closed, for confidentiality because of our industry??

How would I know if a young distant relative decided to get silly and involved in some weird cult, causing some consternation in a distant country? I can barely keep track of the dozen siblings and cousins I do interact with semi-regularly... 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43601557 

Best not to mention MOL given its mostly anti-trump sentiment.

as one of the brave MOL independent conservative voices —maybe the only one — I will not be traveling to California any time soon. wink 

What's happening at the White House? The Easter Egg roll.

“I want to thank the White House Historical Association and all of the people that work so hard with Melania, with everybody to keep this incredible house or building or whatever you want to call it because there really is no name for it,” the president said, referring to the White House.

“It is special. And we keep it in tip-top shape. We call it sometimes tippy top shape,” he said.

is it true that aides had to explain to him that attending the "Easter Egg Roll" didn't mean he was going to be taking anyone's money from them?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/president-trump-apparently-doesnt-know-what-daca-is.html

Even before President Trump attempted to terminate DACA last year — multiple judges have blocked his move from taking effect, which has lessened the urgency to find a legislative solution — the program only applied to immigrants who had entered the country by 2007, so his contention that current immigrants are attempting to take advantage of the program makes no sense.

Ridski, what is your take on what’s happening in London?

After murder rate passes NYC, London Mayor Sadiq Khan calls for sharper knife control

, USA TODAYPublished 5:23 p.m. ET April 9, 2018 | Updated 6:00 p.m. ET April 9, 2018

(Photo: Daniel Leal-Olivas, AFP/Getty Images)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 5COMMENTEMAILMORE

London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a crackdown on knives Sunday in response to the rising levels of violence in London, which recently surpassed New York City's homicide rate for the first time. 

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife," Khan tweeted. "Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law." 

There have been more than 50 homicides in London so far in 2018, and much of the violence is tied to gangs. 

Guns are strictly regulated in the United Kingdom and the rising homicide rate in London is directly attributable to a rise in knife-related crimes, with stabbings claiming at least 31 lives to date in 2018. By contrast, New York — which has a population roughly the same size as London — has seen a steady decline in violent crime. 

There were 15 murders committed in London in February and another 22 in March, while New York saw 14 murders in February and 21 in March, according to murder rate statistics provided to USA TODAY by London's Metropolitan Police and the New York Police Department.

We need more good people with knives.

must be great to live in a country where they actually take action after people are killed, instead of saying "knives don't kill people, people kill people."

ridski said:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/07/who-can-solve-londons-knife-crisis

There is some very sound advice in your link, Ridski. I hope London’s mayor, aka deBlasio, reads the Guardian.

I’m prentry sure that, as a Labour member, he does read the guardian. But no one calls him deBlasio.

mtierney said:
This article could be a wake-up call for Democrats — if they believe something is broken in the Party.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/opinion/democrats-liberal-tea-party.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

They appear to be saying that not having a "Tea Party" is working for the Democrats.

This year, Democratic candidates remain focused on challenging vulnerable Republican-held seats more than purging ideologically impure incumbents. Unlike Republican debates over philosophical fidelity, Democratic primaries produce arguments about who will do a better job addressing the real-world priorities of key constituencies as well as competition to secure endorsements from party-aligned interest groups. Liberals have dutifully mobilized behind Democrats (often centrist) who fit their districts, leading to special-election victories like Conor Lamb’s recent capture of a Republican-leaning seat in Pennsylvania.

Liberal candidates and activists can succeed in pushing the Democratic Party to the left on specific issues. But they will do so by appealing to the interests and loyalties of social groups rather than engaging in broader ideological debates.

The article is favorable to the Democrats and critical of the Republicans.

These two paragraphs speak volumes re the differences, especially the second question which is really hard to comprehend!

“In October 2015, John Boehner was driven from office by right-wing members of his own caucus. His successor, Paul Ryan, despite having been chosen as the Republicans’ 2012 vice-presidential nominee based on his ideological bona fides, faced similar pressure from his right as speaker — ultimately deciding to spend only three years in the role before announcing his resignation from the House last week. 

“Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader, is still leading her caucus despite losing her party’s majority nearly eight years ago.”

It's only hard to comprehend if you think Pelosi is a she-devil.

oh. right.

mtierney,

You have completely missed the point of the article.

LOST said:
mtierney,

You have completely missed the point of the article.

what a stunning development!

you guys should take your act on the road

I am sorely behind on the latest news from the Capitol, I will readily admit, but my reading comprehension is quite good — unless my take differs from yours. 

Baseball and TCM’s old movies are our TV favs these days.

The article was favorable to the Democrats and critical of the Republicans. 

mtierney said:
These two paragraphs speak volumes re the differences, especially the second question which is really hard to comprehend!

“In October 2015, John Boehner was driven from office by right-wing members of his own caucus. His successor, Paul Ryan, despite having been chosen as the Republicans’ 2012 vice-presidential nominee based on his ideological bona fides, faced similar pressure from his right as speaker — ultimately deciding to spend only three years in the role before announcing his resignation from the House last week. 

“Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader, is still leading her caucus despite losing her party’s majority nearly eight years ago.”

John Boehner and Paul Ryan, Republican leaders were driven from leadership by extremists in the GOP. The Dems remain united. 

LOST said:

It was critical of Democrats if you believe this sentence was a criticism "Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader, is still leading her caucus despite losing her party’s majority nearly eight years ago.”  You and I would see that as a simple statement of fact.  If you have a hatred of Nancy Pelosi, it reads like a criticism.

ml1 said:

LOST said:
It was critical of Democrats if you believe this sentence was a criticism "Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader, is still leading her caucus despite losing her party’s majority nearly eight years ago.”  You and I would see that as a simple statement of fact.  If you have a hatred of Nancy Pelosi, it reads like a criticism.

And if you are a right-wing extremist who hates Boehner and/or Ryan, this is a positive:

mtierney said:

Baseball and TCM’s old movies are our TV favs these days.

Start a thread about either (or both) of these.  I'd be more enthused.

mtierney said:
6’7 Comey is a big target likely to get even bigger...

http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/20/5-things-james-comeys-trump-memos-make-look-like-tool/

wow. if that's all the federalist can come up with, you guys are effed.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.