The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

It was a much earlier version of this story:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46908505

As the byline now says it was updated 3 hours ago, I’m not sure how it’s changed (linking without reading first). I’ll edit after I’ve read, if necessary. 

Edited to add: the earlier version said he was caught as he was blowing in the door (I guess, being caught in the act to remove all doubt), and that he acted alone. I remember thinking ‘weird he got that far, probably due to the shutdown’. 

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2019/01/17/georgia-man-charged-with-plotting-attack-on-white-house--media/

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/north-america/georgia-man-arrested-in-plot-to-attack-white-house-security-officials-20190117-p50rw6.html. Well, a different version again. Still, scary and detailed enough. 

at the same time these compassionate words were being spoken by the President, the White House folks, including SOS Clinton, via talk shows and before the media, spun  a different story — for  two full weeks. Wonder what ever happened to that video guy?

I don't know who you're referring to, but the current President has never spoken compassionate words to anyone in his life.  

He wanted to travel to go fight overseas, but he didn't have a passport so he couldn't travel, so instead he decided to attack within the United States?

Couldn't somebody have told him about the crisis at the southern border, and that if you are a legitimate terrorist you can just freely enter and leave the country there? That would have been much cheaper than an undercover operation, and now a trial, and have to lock him up for the rest of his life.

mtierney said:
wasn’t Spartacus Greek?

He was from Thrace, somewhere in the general area of modern day Bulgaria.  Not Greek, even in those days.

mtierney said:
at the same time these compassionate words were being spoken by the President, the White House folks, including SOS Clinton, via talk shows and before the media, spun  a different story — for  two full weeks. Wonder what ever happened to that video guy?

Yes, tell me about compassion.

Family Separation May Have Hit Thousands More Migrant Children Than Reported

mtierney said:

all these years later, it doesn't appear that you ever did one bit of reading into any of the actual events in Benghazi. Because if you did, you'd know that the evidence was very strong that the attackers used a protest about the video as cover for their attack.

it was fueled in large part by anger at an American-made video denigrating Islam.

A deadly mix in Benghazi

Trump to Morticia:  No Belgian Waffles For You!

Red_Barchetta said:
I don't know who you're referring to, but the current President has never spoken compassionate words to anyone in his life.  

That original quoted comment wasn’t about the current President, hence the confusion. 

It’s making for messy reading in this topic oh oh

basil said:
He wanted to travel to go fight overseas, but he didn't have a passport so he couldn't travel, so instead he decided to attack within the United States?
Couldn't somebody have told him about the crisis at the southern border, and that if you are a legitimate terrorist you can just freely enter and leave the country there? That would have been much cheaper than an undercover operation, and now a trial, and have to lock him up for the rest of his life.

I guess, due to the Shutdown, they just wanted to do the least amount possible...?

Robert_Casotto said:
Trump to Morticia:  No Belgian Waffles For You!

Yeah, the stop in Belgium was actually for the military crew to rest and refuel before the harrowing flight into Kandahar. You wouldn't want to give a damn about our men and women in uniform, would you?

joanne said:

Red_Barchetta said:
 That original quoted comment wasn’t about the current President, hence the confusion. 

More than enough confusion to go around. Our media, last I looked, hadn’t reported the BBC story. 

I can’t figure what was going on in Pelosi’s mind to think of going on a junket with her crew on the country’s dime during a government shutdown. The trip was in the works before I assume, but she had time to cancel it herself “for the good of the nation in its time of need” as she could have claimed. Dense and entitled, bad combination in a politician.

mtierney said:

joanne said:

Red_Barchetta said:
 More than enough confusion to go around. Our media, last I looked, hadn’t reported the BBC story. 
I can’t figure what was going on in Pelosi’s mind to think of going on a junket with her crew on the country’s dime during a government shutdown. The trip was in the works before I assume, but she had time to cancel it herself “for the good of the nation in its time of need” as she could have claimed. Dense and entitled, bad combination in a politician.

A "junket".

yeah, a junket to freaking Afghanistan.

Just the place to have a good time on the taxpayer's dime.

You're really an ******, you know that?

This Trump - Pelosi thing is not really that interesting. She pulls the State of the Union, he pulls the Afghanistan trip. Tit for tat. No big deal.

What is more important to me (and I am going to say this again throughout 2019):

1. We should not impeach Trump. He should sit out the remainder of his term. And even if he manages to get re-elected, he should not even be impeached in his second term. We want Trump to do maximum damage to the conservative GOP / brand. We want it damaged for years, possibly decades. The country is going to be damaged by him anyway, might as well make something good come out of it.
  2. No pardoning "for the good of the country", or "for the country to heal". Nobody is above the law. If Trump, or his family, or his cabinet members did nothing against the law, they are fine. But if they did, there shouldn't be any pardons. They should serve their time, whether or not it is him, his children, or anyone close to him. No exceptions and no funny stuff about bringing the country together.

mtierney, there were loads of Murdoch news links to that domestic terrorism story, as well as what some would call ‘fake’ news. It was on Reuter’s and AAP. 

I suppose you’d have to ask why media would choose to cover certain lines of investigation to cover and leave others less visible inside your country but obvious to external readers.

basil said:
This Trump - Pelosi thing is not really that interesting. She pulls the State of the Union, he pulls the Afghanistan trip. Tit for tat. No big deal.
What is more important to me (and I am going to say this again throughout 2019):

1. We should not impeach Trump. He should sit out the remainder of his term. And even if he manages to get re-elected, he should not even be impeached in his second term. We want Trump to do maximum damage to the conservative GOP / brand. We want it damaged for years, possibly decades. The country is going to be damaged by him anyway, might as well make something good come out of it.
  2. No pardoning "for the good of the country", or "for the country to heal". Nobody is above the law. If Trump, or his family, or his cabinet members did nothing against the law, they are fine. But if they did, there shouldn't be any pardons. They should serve their time, whether or not it is him, his children, or anyone close to him. No exceptions and no funny stuff about bringing the country together.

No impeachment means he will get all the privileges of an ex-president. A federally paid for office, office expenses and staff, a fat pension and lifetime secret service protection with all its privileges. Such as not having to deal with in airport lines like the hoi polloi, or lines anywhere. A life of comfort almost all Americans would love to have.

Also, suppose he is criminally convicted after his presidency. How does jail work considering that secret service protection is required? Will his protectors be living in jail with him? Will he be housed in a special separate jail wing? Will it only be house arrest?

The only way Trump will be impeached is if he is charged with serious crimes AND the Republicans decide it is best to throw him under the bus.  And the only way that will happen is if support for Trump among Republicans shrinks dramatically.

I don't really care if the Nazi bastard is actually impeached.  Losing support will be for Trump the worst possible punishment.

mtierney said:

He went to jail for bank fraud prior to making the movie, then went back to jail afterwrds for parole violation. As of 2015, he was living in a homeless shelter and working part time in a pizza place. But we've told you this before, and it's easy to look it up on Wikipedia, so why ask?

Sent an email this morning to the White House to tell Trump that he should either give up or resign.  Contacted Payne, Menendez and Booker by phone to tell them to keep up the good fight.

Did you sign it Klinker from MOL?

Mueller Statement Disputes Report That Trump Directed Cohen to Lie

Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s longtime lawyer and fixer, was sentenced last month to three years in prison.CreditStephanie Keith for The New York Times

Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s longtime lawyer and fixer, was sentenced last month to three years in prison.CreditCreditStephanie Keith for The New York Times

• Jan. 18, 2019

WASHINGTON — The special counsel investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election disputed on Friday a report that said President Trump had directed Michael D. Cohen, his longtime lawyer and fixer, to lie to Congress about his role in negotiations to build a skyscraper in Moscow.

The rare public statement by a spokesman for the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, challenged the facts of an article published by BuzzFeed News on Thursday saying that Mr. Cohen had told prosecutors about being pressured by the president before his congressional testimony.

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the special counsel’s office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s congressional testimony are not accurate,” said the spokesman, Peter Carr.

The rest of the article is reiteration — (even the picture popped up twice)

Ummm.... they didn't say that it wasn't true, it just said that they weren't the source.

Klinker said:
Ummm.... they didn't say that it wasn't true, it just said that they weren't the source.

Hush.  Don't spoil a day when they think they have a point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/business/media/buzzfeed-news-trump-michael-cohen-mueller.html

A lawyer might say something is “not accurate” rather than say “lie” to protect and obfuscate his position on a legal matter. BuzzFeed’s sources are perhaps not accurate!

We found that people who engaged in more reflective reasoning were better at telling true from false, regardless of whether the headlines aligned with their political views.

Why Do People Fall for Fake News?  

https://nyti.ms/2RV2yCB?smid=nytcore-ios-share

We gauged whether our participants would engage in reasoning or “go with their gut” by having them complete something called the cognitive reflection test, a test widely used in psychology and behavioral economics.

Some examples:

• If you’re running a race and you pass the person in second place, what place are you in? _____ place
  • A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? _____ cents
  • If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets? _____ minutes
  • In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake? _____ days

DaveSchmidt said:

We gauged whether our participants would engage in reasoning or “go with their gut” by having them complete something called the cognitive reflection test, a test widely used in psychology and behavioral economics.
Some examples:
  • If you’re running a race and you pass the person in second place, what place are you in? _____ place
  • A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? _____ cents
  • If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets? _____ minutes
  • In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake? _____ days

I had never heard of that test, but that is pretty cool, a whole test with trick questions

basil said:

I had never heard of that test, but that is pretty cool, a whole test with trick questions

On one hand, a test full of them can dilute their potency; if you know they’re all trick questions, you’re likely to spend more time reflecting on wrinkles you might be missing.

On the other hand, that’s probably a good way to approach any question in a political or policy discussion. 

DaveSchmidt said:

basil said:

On one hand, a test full of them can dilute their potency; if you know they’re all trick questions, you’re likely to spend more time reflecting on wrinkles you might be missing.
On the other hand, that’s probably a good way to approach any question in a political or policy discussion. 

I agree, but unfortunately social media (incl MOL) probably stimulates "going with your gut" over reflection

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.