What series should I watch next?

Have watched The Widow on Prime.  ok some good situations and a little confusing with flashbacks on flashbacks.  Somewhat worthy...

For very light watching, when you only have half an hour and you'd like something light and fun:

• Kim's Convenience
  • Working Moms 

Both on Netflix, episodes of both are under 30 mins. Moms episodes are only 22 mins.

I went Sunday night to see "Fleabag" on stage in Manhattan. If you've seen Phoebe Waller-Bridge in the Amazon Prime version, this was very different. She originally wrote and performed it for the stage, in London, and then turned it into a TV series. The staged version was very different in that it was an extended monologue. Was very cool to see her live.

Best series find yet! Prime’s BBC Gardeners series.

Started on The Enemy Within....like it so far...also last summer some scenes were shot by my building in the Gateway Center in Newark .

Anyone watch Crashing?  Love it.  Half hour comedy.  Right up my alley. 

jeffl said:

Is that the one about folks living in an abandoned hospital?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:
 Is that the one about folks living in an abandoned hospital?

No, it’s about a struggling stand up comedian with actual comedians in it.  Similar premise to Mrs. Maisel but completely different.  Some nudity so don’t watch with young kids.  

Crashing is great.  Unfortunately they cancelled it - but fortunately - I thought the final episode was a great ending.  CHS grad Jessica Kirson was featured in a few episodes.  

Many of the posts are of shows on Netflix. Are most people on Verizon Fios as opposed to Optimum cable? Asking because I'm considering switching to save money. A little nervous about the contract. Sorry for the slight thread drift.

Netflix’s Highwaymen movie  (I have Comcast and Amazon Prime) is good on many levels — very revealing coverage of 1934 and the Great Depression in America. Tells the true story of Bonnie and Clyde.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
Speaking of which, I binged whole season of Sex Education. Netflix   I really liked it a lot. It’s sweet and funny and totally explicit about teenaged sex - and how everybody develops as a sexual individual differently.  The cast is great - and Gillian Anderson is wonderful as the sex therapist mother of Otis, the main character. Her character so wants to do the right thing with her son, Otis. But she’s frustrated about her own writing career and loneliness and she so wants everyone to feel good about their sexuality.  She celebrates the sexuality of kids who want anything except attention on their new, awkward, confusing, freightening, embarrassing, filthy feelings of sex. The kid that plays Otis is fantastic. 
It’s funny that this is a live action version of Big Mouth, another great Netflix show about puberty, among slightly younger kids. It’s adult and animated and profane but very insightful and hystericallly funny. 
Curious what others think. 

We love it.  I first saw Gillian Anderson in The Fall.

Recommendations requested:

Every Tuesday my 26-yo daughter comes over, I make dinner and we watch This Is Us.

Yes, it's lovely. We talk about her work, her relationships, her plans and so much more. And we both enjoy This Is Us. But, tonight is the final episode of This Is Us (a new season has not been announced). We're looking for another show, probably streaming, that we can watch together on a weekly basis. Something dramatic but not violent. Something romantic but not cloying or sappy. Something, maybe like This Is Us, maybe not, that we can watch each week that will keep our interest and make us laugh and groan and make fun. All recommendations appreciated.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
Every Tuesday my 26-yo daughter comes over, I make dinner and we watch This Is Us.

Yes, it's lovely. We talk about her work, her relationships, her plans and so much more. And we both enjoy This Is Us. But, tonight is the final episode of This Is Us (a new season has not been announced). We're looking for another show, probably streaming, that we can watch together on a weekly basis. Something dramatic but not violent. Something romantic but not cloying or sappy. Something, maybe like This Is Us, maybe not, that we can watch each week that will keep our interest and make us laugh and groan and make fun. All recommendations appreciated.

Parenthood (2010-2015 TV series)

unicorn33 said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Parenthood (2010-2015 TV series)

Perfect. But we’ve seen it.   

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

"Catastrophe" popped into my head. It's a comedy with complicated tension, and if you are inclined to discuss it, there's a lot of substance.

That's a nice tradition!

Catastrophe is the one I was thinking of, too.

ridski said:
Catastrophe is the one I was thinking of, too.

We've seen Catastrophe. Loved it. I think we're gonna watch The Affair.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
 We've seen Catastrophe. Loved it. I think we're gonna watch The Affair.

Yikes! Okay.

In that case, how about "Enlightened"? Laura Dern is a riot. ("The Affair" wasn't my favorite, and I don't think I could watch it with adult children, but I do like its actors in other series - particularly Ruth Wilson in "Luther," which is another great one.) 

To go in a completely different direction, maybe "Deadwood," for the excellent writing as much as the acting. Unless you're trying to avoid grisly entirely. But the bad stuff and comically foul language happen in what feels like a long-ago parallel Old West universe. 

j_r said:
In that case, how about "Enlightened"? Laura Dern is a riot. ("The Affair" wasn't my favorite, and I don't think I could watch it with adult children, but I do like its actors in other series - particularly Ruth Wilson in "Luther," which is another great one.) 
To go in a completely different direction, maybe "Deadwood," for the excellent writing as much as the acting. Unless you're trying to avoid grisly entirely. But the bad stuff and comically foul language happen in what feels like a long-ago parallel Old West universe. 

I'm not familiar with "Enlightened." I'll look into it. We're not married to The Affair, no pun intended. We have until Tuesday to decide, I guess.

Watched the free preview episode of Twilight Zone--The Comedian. Meh. Very disappointing. Black Mirror is better, as is the old Twilight Zone series for sure.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Last Tango in Halifax. Perfect for multi generational viewing.

I watched the first episode of Hanna on Amazon.  It's a remake of the movie of the same title starring Eric Bana and the then young Saoirse Ronan in the title role.  If you liked the movie (I did), the show has the same vibe and atmosphere.  The two adult leads in the show are the same 2 actors who were in the miniseries "The Killing" (is that what it was called?).  I seem to recall, when that show was on and under discussion here, that the female lead had some kind of Maplewood connection.  

Winter is here! Game of Thrones returns and today begins a season a day till Sunday's big event.

I just want to move onto the set and live there forever.

so, we watched Episode 1 of The Affair last night. Whoa, I had no idea there was so much sex in it! Luckily, my daughter is much more mature than I am.

just watched Netflix ‘s Fugitiva — it is action-packed and set in Mexico City and Madrid — shows how the 1%ers live and party — and lie and cheat and abuse — Worth watching for the beautiful cinematography.

Anyone watched Rectify on Netflix? Someone was raving about it last night....

I loved Rectify. The slow pace is refreshing once you get into it. Aden Young's character is complicated and heartbreaking. And the theme music is really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=014dScYyvP8

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.