What series should I watch next?

surprised

mtierney said:

just started a German film in Amazon’s Prime, which indicated it had captions. “Beat” started off great, and although the action hardly needs translation, the finer points soon get confusing. I tried choosing English captions, but it didn’t work. is there something I am missing?

I figured it out — but the captions are in small print and hard to read. 

goldy said:

The dialog is phenomenal.  The second time around the last two seasons were not as compelling, but I loved seeing a white house (albeit fictional) filled with committed, intelligent people.  I may rewatch Newsroom next.  Or Sports Night if available...

Newsroom was interesting as the hero this time is a Republican.  Jeff Daniels was great as Will McAvoy. I shared his quest for civility. Sam Waterston was terrific and Jane Fonda was an absolute treat.  Seeing her in the Newsroom made me think of one of my favorite Fonda films, The China Syndrome.

It ended too soon. The current attacks on the press would have been interesting material.

Loved watching Will McAvoy listening to Into the Mystic, a beautiful song.

Anybody watching I Know This Much Is True on HBO. Mark Ruffalo is amazing as twin brothers, one is schizophrenic. It's about 5 episodes in. Sad, but compelling.  I'm a big fan and this performance may put him up against De Niro's performance in Awakenings. It's worth a look.

https://www.hbo.com/i-know-this-much-is-true

I binge watched all 6 episodes of the above I Know This Much Is True. It was very dark in places, considering the subject matter, but it was an unusual story, intense, brutal at times but with a big payoff. Glad I gave it another try. It's the kind of film I won't forget. 

Just binged the Gold digger on Amazon. A real soap opera of a story, well acted.

Anyone watching the docuseries Lenox Hill? Its great! 

Yes Cubby!  Loved it.

I am watching Yellowstone, season 1. I have always like Kevin Costner — even in a bad movie. It is worth watching just for the incredibly beautiful scenery .

I am going to Have to watch Perry Mason Again. Very dark. On a personal note, the 1932 setting gave  me an idea of  how tough life was for my parents, raising a family during those years.

Edited to ask: Do film companies image that all viewers can read lips? So much is lost in many TV series — or is enunciation and projection no longer important  for actors? One reason I enjoy watching TCM Hollywood oldies — I can understand every word!

mtierney said:

Edited to ask: Do film companies image that all viewers can read lips? So much is lost in many TV series — or is enunciation and projection no longer important  for actors? One reason I enjoy watching TCM Hollywood oldies — I can understand every word!

I find that subtitles often help - even on shows in English!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

mtierney said:

I find that subtitles often help - even on shows in English!

Subtitles can make a huge difference. Dialogue is often lost amidst heavy accents, loud music, mumbling actors, or the like. And for those of us with less than perfect hearing, they help immensely.

Thanks. Do you have to set caption on for each network’s shows, or set your TV for captions? 

mtierney said:

Thanks. Do you have to set caption on for each network’s shows, or set your TV for captions? 

I've set captions on for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. They are easy enough to turn off when you don't want them for a particular program. For DVDs, you have to set captions for each individual movie. For DVR programs, you can turn captions on or off via the remote (at least, that's how it works with FIOS).

So I watched almost 3 seasons of SHAMELESS with William H. Macy and although I enjoyed the wanton depravity and hilarious, sexy  situations, enough is enough. I'm done. I assume watching 6 or 7 more season would be just more of the same. I've moved on.  

Watching a few episodes of the newest season of F is For Family. 

If you've been into it, "Dark" season 3 is available on Saturday.  It's a German series.  One of the most mind blowing, moody sci fi series ever.  

Anybody watching the Alienist? 

@ridski, I thought it had a Penny Dreadful vibe, a series I lost when my provider dropped Showtime. Have you seen it?

The Alienist is in its second season so I have catching up to do. The one episode I watched this week looked promising. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'm watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. It's up and down but there are some brilliant moments. Lots of Jewish cultural and 50s hip references. (Lenny Bruce is a recurring character.) I'm quite enjoying it. 

Anyone else watching it? 

ETA: There are moments when the "Jewish" dialogue sounds like it's written by goyim trying too hard. 

I recently started watching this and enjoy it very much!  I wouldn't know enough to judge the authenticity of the dialogue.

The Twelve on Netflix— very interesting take on the lives of each juror. With a kicker ending.

Morganna said:

Anybody watching the Alienist? 

@ridski, I thought it had a Penny Dreadful vibe, a series I lost when my provider dropped Showtime. Have you seen it?

The Alienist is in its second season so I have catching up to do. The one episode I watched this week looked promising. 

I haven't seen it (don't have cable) but it looks interesting.

Harry the Cat likes Yellowstone!

ridski said:

I haven't seen it (don't have cable) but it looks interesting.

If there's a way you can get TNT it's looking good. I watched Season 2 episodes 1-3.  It looks like it's available free online. I was going there to get Season 1, 1-3 but I was wary as it said free but asked for my credit card number, so I blew it off. I've had too many surprise subscriptions this year. 

jamie said:

I'll Be Gone in the Dark was well done:

https://www.hbo.com/ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

Were you able to watch all 6 episodes? We've been watching it weekly on HBO and really enjoying it.

actually - I'm seeing 5 available on HBO demand.  I had thought there were only 4 episodes - watching the 5th one now.

I binged INDIAN MATCHMAKING on Netflix and I was totally charmed. It's 8 episodes and sweet and funny and annoying all at the same time And it looks like Season 2 is on its way. Anyone else watching it? 

yes - saw Indian matchmaking - it was ok.  I like the other dating show Dating Around - check out Ben - second episode in season 2 - what a character.

For those who were brought up in the Atari 2600 era - check out Game Over.  I've seen the first 2 (out of 6) it's a great overview of the gaming industry.

Also watching The Good Fight - which is really good!  Trying to binge it within the first free month trial of CBS all access.

Ratched is excellent!

This is ridiculous but I'm obsessed with Home Edit (and the Container Store.)

I'm going to throw myself into home organizing straight through November 3rd and depending upon the outcome, possibly until 2024.

cubby said:

This is ridiculous but I'm obsessed with Home Edit (and the Container Store.)

I'm going to throw myself into home organizing straight through November 3rd and depending upon the outcome, possibly until 2024.

Yeah, Simone binged this.  We've had several visits to the container store in the past few weeks.

A few episodes into Utopia - it's entertaining.

I'm tearing through Season 7 of Shameless. It's a love/hate relationship for sure. 

Enjoyed the 3 part David Tennant’s The Escape Artist — very scary!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.