DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

Speaking of hot sauce, Margaret KImberley of the Black Agenda Report gave a brutal weigh in on Kamala Harris that mentions the hot sauce but not in a trivial way - 

Freedom Rider: Kamala Harris: The Fix is In

“Her record as a prosecutor and California attorney general ought to make her persona non grata with black voters.”
The Democrats are hoping that having another biracial black person on the ticket can make up for their lack of substance and hers. All Harris knows how to do is pander, and she doesn’t even do that very well. On The Breakfast Club radio show she was asked if she opposed marijuana legalization. “That’s not true. Look, I joke about it, I have joked about it. Half my family is from Jamaica. Are you kidding me?” The promotion of a stereotype didn’t go over very well, including with her own father, who was angry enough to call her out in public. Donald Harris said that his ancestors “…must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics.” Not only had she offended her father but she was also lying. As attorney she opposed a 2010 proposition that would have legalized recreational use. She opposed it as late as 2015.
Not content to offend her own father she followed Hillary Clinton with another reference meant to make herself appealing to people she doesn’t respect. Hillary Clinton famously sought to ingratiate herself with black voters with cultural connections. She claimed, also on The Breakfast Club radio show, that she carried hot sauce in her purse at all times. Harris can now be seen putting hot sauce on her collard greens too but the absurd mimicry isn’t hurting her any. The endorsements are already coming her way.
“Democrats are hoping that having another biracial black person on the ticket can make up for their lack of substance and hers.”

As to Warren's belief in her Native American ancestry, I'm thinking of people who jumped at the chance to claim such heritage. She's a Baby Boomer and there was a period when half the hippies in NYC lived in buckskin and fringe. Most of whom had never ridden a horse. Lots of Pow Wows in the Wild East. I chalk it up to that. Half of those who came from the real west claimed that someone's great grandmother was part Cherokee. 

I dread the opposition research on all of these poor candidates. Somebody grabbed someone's something and someone else was snorting something in public. Some Baby Boomer will have smoked banana peels, and someone's ex will say they never put the garbage out.

I thought we used to complain that Republicans were the hall monitors.

Isn't the most popular anti war candidate a former soldier? That would have never gained traction with the anti war hippies.

Just show me someone who can win and I'll file my wish list with my banana peels.

drummerboy said:

annielou said:
Re: Warren. Plucking a Native American ancestry out of her a***, above and beyond all of her other known and provable ancestries, screams of impropriety. Whether she actually gained advantage has nothing to do with the intention.
 I have no idea where you get this nonsense. out of her a**? HER MOTHER TOLD HER!  And the DNA tests show there was some truth to it.
I just don't get it. The information is out there. Do you just choose to disbelieve it and make up your own version of the truth?

Elizabeth Warren is a visibly white female within an obviously white family. Why on earth would she list her ethnicity as Native American, or claim to be Native American, other than to gain some perceived political advantage? “Family lore” implies that there did not exist a known relative to identify with certainty as Native American. She’s not an impressionable teenager exploring alternate identities. She’s a grown Rachel Doziel. 

nan said:
Speaking of hot sauce, Margaret KImberley of the Black Agenda Report gave a brutal weigh in on Kamala Harris that mentions the hot sauce but not in a trivial way - 

“Her record as a prosecutor and California attorney general ought to make her persona non grata with black voters.”
The Democrats are hoping that having another biracial black person on the ticket can make up for their lack of substance and hers. All Harris knows how to do is pander, and she doesn’t even do that very well. On The Breakfast Club radio show she was asked if she opposed marijuana legalization. “That’s not true. Look, I joke about it, I have joked about it. Half my family is from Jamaica. Are you kidding me?” The promotion of a stereotype didn’t go over very well, including with her own father, who was angry enough to call her out in public. Donald Harris said that his ancestors “…must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics.” Not only had she offended her father but she was also lying. As attorney she opposed a 2010 proposition that would have legalized recreational use. She opposed it as late as 2015.
Not content to offend her own father she followed Hillary Clinton with another reference meant to make herself appealing to people she doesn’t respect. Hillary Clinton famously sought to ingratiate herself with black voters with cultural connections. She claimed, also on The Breakfast Club radio show, that she carried hot sauce in her purse at all times. Harris can now be seen putting hot sauce on her collard greens too but the absurd mimicry isn’t hurting her any. The endorsements are already coming her way.
“Democrats are hoping that having another biracial black person on the ticket can make up for their lack of substance and hers.”

Since the writer of that piece thinks that Hillary's hot sauce event was pandering, she is obviously an idiot. 

annielou said:

drummerboy said:

annielou said:
Re: Warren. Plucking a Native American ancestry out of her a***, above and beyond all of her other known and provable ancestries, screams of impropriety. Whether she actually gained advantage has nothing to do with the intention.
 I have no idea where you get this nonsense. out of her a**? HER MOTHER TOLD HER!  And the DNA tests show there was some truth to it.
I just don't get it. The information is out there. Do you just choose to disbelieve it and make up your own version of the truth?
 Elizabeth Warren is a visibly white female within an obviously white family. Why on earth would she list her ethnicity as Native American, or claim to be Native American, other than to gain some perceived political advantage? “Family lore” implies that there did not exist a known relative to identify with certainty as Native American. She’s not an impressionable teenager exploring alternate identities. She’s a grown Rachel Doziel. 

You've been told several times why she believed she had NA ancestry.

Rather than believe she is being honest, you believe she's lying.

Whatever.

my only knowledge of my heritage was that I was told that three of my grandparents were Irish and one was English. Until Ancestry DNA I had no other way to know if that was true. It turns out it is apparently true. But it might not have been. If it hadn't been and the stories I was told were not true, would that make me a phony and a liar?

nan said:

I find Harris way more sizzle than steak. At the Kavanaugh hearing there seemed to be some expectation that she’d tear it up, but I thought she was pretty meh and really didn’t make any statements or line of questioning that others hadn't already made. 

I predict Harris will be the first Democratic candidate who’s currently in the top tier to fizzle. 

You don’t get it or don’t want to get it. She was told by her mother that she had some Native American ancestry. So what??? She is clearly white. She chose to elevate her family lore by ignoring her more obvious ancestry in order appear to be a minority on official paperwork and in speeches. Stop making excuses for that. It’s becoming offensive.

drummerboy said:

You've been told several times why she believed she had NA ancestry.

Whatever.

One can believe Warren believed she had NA ancestry and also have a problem with her self-identifying as Native American. 

annielou said:
You don’t get it or don’t want to get it. She was told by her mother that she had some Native American ancestry. So what??? She is clearly white. She chose to elevate her family lore by ignoring her more obvious ancestry in order appear to be a minority on official paperwork and in speeches. Stop making excuses for that. It’s becoming offensive.

if you're going to make these accusations it might be a helpful to provide some evidence as to the advantages that Warren gained from her claims. 

Smedley said:

drummerboy said: You've been told several times why she believed she had NA ancestry.

Whatever.
One can believe Warren believed she had NA ancestry and also have a problem with her self-identifying as Native American. 

how?

If she really believed that was her ancestry why would it be problematic that she identified as such?

ml1 said:

annielou said:
 if you're going to make these accusations it might be a helpful to provide some evidence as to the advantages that Warren gained from her claims. 

I don’t know that she gained any advantages by misrepresenting herself as a minority, but I can definitely assume that she thought she might. Why do it otherwise? If I believed I was some small percentage of an ethnicity that I did not see anywhere in my immediate family, I most definitely would not list that ethnicity on any paperwork. It’s just bizarre.

annielou said:

I think you don't realize it, but saying she's clearly not Native American because of her appearance is also offensive.

There are lots of people with various ancestries who don't look like your expectations. 

I think the whole Elizabeth Warren Native American thing is a huge embarrassing regrettable experience that gave Trump the bully more ammunition.  But, It also gave real Native Americans a chance to explain some things to the rest of us that we probably did not know (me included). So it was also a teachable moment and she can frame it that way and maybe move on. She's a quality, non-superficial candidate and known to be strong on issues.  She can also be seen as a bridge between the establishment and the Progressives, so she may have strong support depending on how large that group ends up and also how she does in the debates. She has been coming up with some strong proposals also so that will help. 

annielou said:

ml1 said:

annielou said:
 I don’t know that she gained any advantages by misrepresenting herself as a minority, but I can definitely assume that she thought she might. Why do it otherwise? If I believed I was some small percentage of an ethnicity that I did not see anywhere in my immediate family, I most definitely would not list that ethnicity on any paperwork. It’s just bizarre.

that's not apparently what she believed. She thought it was a significant part of her heritage 

mrincredible said:

annielou said:
I think you don't realize it, but saying she's clearly not Native American because of her appearance is also offensive.
There are lots of people with various ancestries who don't look like your expectations. 

I have no expectations based on appearances. And I might add that Native American ancestry stories are very common in many families, including mine. But no one I know, especially family members, would consider listing that on a form. There are, however, many reasons for doing so if you are trying to get a jump up.

ml1 said:

Smedley said:

drummerboy said: You've been told several times why she believed she had NA ancestry.

Whatever.
 how?
If she really believed that was her ancestry why would it be problematic that she identified as such?

I believe she believed she had *some* NA ancestry (like some distant relative), but that’s different from believing NA *was* her ancestry ( like who her mom and dad were). 

Running with the *some* NA ancestry to the extent of self-identifying as that, and that alone, is weird to me. I don’t know why she self-identified as NA, but it may have been to try to gain an advantage somehow.

annielou said:

drummerboy said:

annielou said:

That's an amazingly stupid post. 

annielou said:
 She was told by her mother that she had some Native American ancestry. So what??? She is clearly white. 

It's hard to keep track of exactly what qualifies these days, but this just might be a racist statement. 

Red_Barchetta said:

annielou said:
 She was told by her mother that she had some Native American ancestry. So what??? She is clearly white. 
 It's hard to keep track of exactly what qualifies these days, but this just might be a racist statement. 

No more racist than posing as something that you significantly are not.

annielou said:

ml1 said:

annielou said:
 I don’t know that she gained any advantages by misrepresenting herself as a minority, but I can definitely assume that she thought she might. 

That's right, you just go ahead and assume anything you want.  Do the rest of us get to assume things too? 

annielou said:

Red_Barchetta said:

annielou said:
 No more racist than posing as something that you significantly are not.

Whether EW is racist is not at issue in this discussion.  At least I don't think it is.  Are you making more assumptions?

I’m actually quite upset that she did this Native American thing. I’ve been a fan for a while. She is purposeful and smart and clearly qualified. She does not need to pump up some ancestry story to get votes but maybe that’s where politics have gone. It’s sad. I also don’t want to hear these up from poverty stories and origin tales. Just get out there and throw your punches. We have a bad guy to knock out.

Smedley said:

ml1 said:

Smedley said:

Whatever.
 how?
 I believe she believed she had *some* NA ancestry (like some distant relative), but that’s different from believing NA *was* her ancestry ( like who her mom and dad were). 
Running with the *some* NA ancestry to the extent of self-identifying as that, and that alone, is weird to me. I don’t know why she self-identified as NA, but it may have been to try to gain an advantage somehow.

I think it's reasonable to consider what she did weird.  But I didn't grow up in Oklahoma and I can't speak to her experience.  

Let me ask you (and any others who assign nefarious purpose to her course of action) this:  Since she has become a public figure can you think of a single thing you observed in her character, deeds, or words that would lead you to believe she is a self-serving person?

annielou said:
I’m actually quite upset that she did this Native American thing. I’ve been a fan for a while. She is purposeful and smart and clearly qualified. She does not need to pump up some ancestry story to get votes but maybe that’s where politics have gone. It’s sad. I also don’t want to hear these up from poverty stories and origin tales. Just get out there and throw your punches. We have a bad guy to knock out.

She's a folksy person.  She tells stories about her experiences growing up.  You don't have to like the stories or the many politicians who tell them.  I just think it's unjustified and uncalled for to assign devious purpose to EW specifically in doing this.  

And for the record, I think it was dumb for her to have released her ancestry results.  A mistake made by a rookie politician; which is what she is.   

That’s exactly what’s weird about it. She does not seem self-serving at all. Hard to figure this one, but in light of no real explanation, folks will fill in the blanks.

annielou said:
That’s exactly what’s weird about it. She does not seem self-serving at all. Hard to figure this one, but in light of no real explanation, folks will fill in the blanks.

I respectfully recommend, annielou, that you dig around a little more to learn what Warren actually said about her heritage, and where and why. (It wasn’t on official school documents or in speeches, for example. And she has stated her explanation quite plainly.) Whether you end up finding it all credible or not, there’s information out there to help fill in the blanks.

I don’t think it’s too early to pick because in this election, I care about only ONE thing- making sure the pig in the Whitehouse goes home defeated. Period. I don’t care which Dem it is- old, young doesn’t f-ing matter. The only thing that matters is who has best chance to beat Trump. Right now that’s Biden.

conandrob240 said:
I don’t think it’s too early to pick because in this election, I care about only ONE thing- making sure the pig in the Whitehouse goes home defeated. Period. I don’t care which Dem it is- old, young doesn’t f-ing matter. The only thing that matters is who has best chance to beat Trump. Right now that’s Biden.

He is not even running dude. Chill.

Question for the folks who say Warren self-identifying as American Indian was fine: shouldn't she still be doing so? After all, her family lore was validated by the DNA test that showed she has Native American in her ancestry. So why shouldn't she be running as the first major-party Native American presidential candidate?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!