Abuse Testimony, but BOE Reappoints CHS Coach Anyway!

hankzona said:

In general, a problem with defining bullying is that those who are bullies (and that includes students/athletes, coaches and parents too who can be bullies) don't necessarily see themselves as such...and there may be instances too when those who benefited by or were not targeted by bullying behavior and said nothing only speak up when it impacts them or their children. Perhaps they actually failed to see it as bullying because they (or their children) were not the targets...or they failed to speak up about it at the time because they (or their children) weren't targets. There is a difference between tough and unfair/abusive...and it usually isn't that difficult to discern, if people choose to.

Agree

It would probably qualify as hazing, which is illegal.

yahooyahoo said:

Army basic training is hazing. Sports training is hazing. Hazing done correctly is a positive, team-building activity.

From Dictionary.com:

haze
v.
"subject to cruel horseplay," 1850, American English student slang, from earlier nautical sense of "punish by keeping at unpleasant and unnecessary hard work" (1840), perhaps from hawze "terrify, frighten, confound" (1670s), from Middle French haser "irritate, annoy" (mid-15c.), of unknown origin. Related: Hazed ; hazing.

tjohn said:

yahooyahoo said:

Army basic training is hazing. Sports training is hazing. Hazing done correctly is a positive, team-building activity.

You must have been hazed as a student/athlete.

yahooyahoo said:

tjohn said:

yahooyahoo said:

You must have been hazed as a student/athlete.

There's hazing and then there is hazing. If the freshmen on, say, a football team, are expected to carry the equipment to and from the practice field, that is hazing, but acceptable hazing. What happened in Sayreville is also hazing, but beyond the pale.

Army basic training is a form of hazing although it has a pretty vital purpose.

DaveSchmidt said:

mammabear said:

But what if some of the parents think that's bullying??

I can't speak for those parents, but since you're taking this topic seriously, I can only assume this is an honest question and not an attempt to make light of complaints.

I played sports my whole life. And I had all kinds of coaches. This is an honest question. Clearly there are many perspectives on the topic.

Hazing is complex because each of us have different views of what constitutes hazing and we cannot come up with a standard definition. There are some things that we all would agree are hazing or we all would agree amount to bullying. And then there is a large gray area.

Of course, the BOE should still be able to come up with some standards and the AD should be able to work with coaches to address valid complaints.

tjohn said:

Hazing is complex because each of us have different views of what constitutes hazing and we cannot come up with a standard definition. There are some things that we all would agree are hazing or we all would agree amount to bullying. And then there is a large gray area.

Of course, the BOE should still be able to come up with some standards and the AD should be able to work with coaches to address valid complaints.

The gray area includes the increased latitude that we afford coaches whose teams win. Bob Knight didn't start putting his hands on kids 29 years into his career at Indiana. What changed is that his teams had stopped winning championships.

tjohn said:

something to keep in mind...the AD at Columbia really should be the AAAD since the position oversees "all afterschool activities" not just athletics (and he does a much better job at it than his predecessors). Any standards the BOE comes up with should encompass all activities, because this isn't just a sports related issue. One of the biggest high profile hazing tragedies recently in fact involved a college marching band in Florida. Adults overseeing all activities and adults with kids in all activities can be and have been guilty of inappropriate behavior, including bullying, favoritism, currying favor and turning a blind eye. The debate here is specific to a sport, but in general, it can and has cut across all lines where minors and adults are involved.

Chalmers1 said:

tjohn said:

The gray area includes the increased latitude that we afford coaches whose teams win. Bob Knight didn't start putting his hands on kids 29 years into his career at Indiana. What changed is that his teams had stopped winning championships.

Yes, that is true. Kind of like a sense of humor. One person can tell a joke and entertain everybody. Another person can tell the same joke and offend everybody.

Although it is also true that standards of acceptable coaching behavior has evolved over the years. When I was growing up, more or less all of our fathers had gone to school in WW II. Things have changed since then.

And hazing gets more complicated in the modern era, when we are perhaps less willing to have a kid who is good at athletics, but not so mainstream, driven off the team because of the culturally specific flavor of "friendly' hazing taking place.

So, when you think about what is acceptable, think about if it plays out differently if your student-athlete is of a different ethnicity than the rest of the team (or the coach), of a different sexual orientation than the rest of the team, or has special needs (learning disability, Aspergers, or even just shyness). Is it OK if our "standard" coaching model preferentially forces kids who don't fit the dominant cultural model off the team, in spite of interest and talent?

I don't know the right answer, but I think we need to be aware of the cultural biases we are perpetuating when we strive to defend a certain model of coaching.

tjohn,

I'm curious as to why you believe that Army Basic is a form of hazing; particularly so, as you readily concede that it has a vital purpose.

Thanks for any help in better understanding your point.

TomR

Tom_R said:

I'm curious as to why you believe that Army Basic is a form of hazing; particularly so, as you readily concede that it has a vital purpose.

Thanks for any help in better understanding your point.

TomR

You know, I have just looked at a number of definitions of hazing, and I guess military basis training is not hazing although hazing may take place during training. Is deliberately stressing and wearing out a trainee hazing when the purpose is to prepare the soldier for combat? It defies a simple explanation.

tjohn obviously called the Code Red.

BaseballMom said:

tjohn obviously called the Code Red.

Actually, I never experienced anything I would call hazing except for punches in the shoulder on promotion to E-4. Never saw or experienced anything like the SEAL training depicted in the movie Sniper.

hankzona said:

In general, a problem with defining bullying is that those who are bullies (and that includes students/athletes, coaches and parents too who can be bullies) don't necessarily see themselves as such...and there may be instances too when those who benefited by or were not targeted by bullying behavior and said nothing only speak up when it impacts them or their children. Perhaps they actually failed to see it as bullying because they (or their children) were not the targets...or they failed to speak up about it at the time because they (or their children) weren't targets. There is a difference between tough and unfair/abusive...and it usually isn't that difficult to discern, if people choose to.

+1! So true.

susan1014 said:

I don't know the right answer, but I think we need to be aware of the cultural biases we are perpetuating when we strive to defend a certain model of coaching.

Not sure some of the gentlemen posting here quite heard you when you said that, so maybe it needs amplification.

DaveSchmidt said:

tjohn said:

Was it boys being boys (that is to say, roughhousing and causing collateral damage) who need to be helld accountable? Or was it intentional vandalism which your initial post certainly doesn't rule out?

Boys on both teams being boys -- territorial and none too gentle in clearing space for themselves -- upon discovering that they have to share a locker room during practices.

So let me ask...were any punishments handed out for the damages?

Not that I know of (not that I would know if there were, either). The players were called to a meeting for reprimands and instructions on how the teams must accommodate each other.

Happy to see the team is off to a 4-0 start. First real test is today against Roxbury. Up until now they have beaten teams they should have beaten.

Go Cougars.

Cedar Grove on Saturday was a quality win.

The team is off to a hot start - let's lend the boys our support on this thread in the Sports section

http://forum.southorangevillage.com/discussion/115601/columbia-baseball-off-to-a-hot-start

Go Cougars!

Sorry. Did not know about the other thread.

Cedar Grove is 0-2. It is also Group 1. Columbia should not lose to Group 1 schools.

You wouldn't have known about it since it was started after your 10:39 post about the good start. It's in the right place to support the team. And there's no such thing as "should not lose" in high school or the pros. Anything can happen on any given day. Go Cougars! Go CHS baseball!
Wendy Lauter

And Columbia beats Roxbury. 3-2.
Go Cougars!

and now this......

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/06/02/hs-baseball-coaches-accused-bullying-players/

And the beat goes on...

Next BOE meeting should be interesting. I expect a parade of apologists coming out in defense of the coach given that the team had a good season.

What the apologists need to understand is that 99 great experiences do not offset 1 case of real bullying.

Now, is it bullying - well, the district's counsel certainly has the ability to make that determination. Coach misconduct is hardly a new phenomenon.

hankzona said:
I have no horse in this race (or kid in this program), and retribution may very well be possible, because I have seen instances of it in other programs...but it is not really unheard of that seniors get cut from a varsity sport. A main reason I think is because you can play JV through junior year (which wasn't something that existed where I grew up...JV was for through sophomore year), which allows more wiggle room for playing time for juniors but not for seniors who may be straddling the JV/Varsity line. I also believe that at least the freshmen team last year had a bigger roster than in recent years and there were already a number of freshmen/now sophomores not just in the varsity mix, but playing significant roles. It is sometimes unfortunately a numbers game and as the commercial goes "past success is no guarantee of future performance". A possible reality is that there has been better development of the players coming up combined with a large number of them and there are only so many slots on a varsity roster.

Hank is right on, particularly in the last part... talent in any high school sports program is cyclical. For example, there is already talk about how to deal with the smaller numbers of 8th grade baseball players coming into the Freshman program. This has nothing to do with coaching, and everything to do with the fact that there are just smaller numbers playing, particularly at a "high level". To confirm this, just look at the declining numbers in the rec leagues.

It doesn't seem helpful in any way to have this end up on the news. News reports like this are often not exactly thoroughly vetted and researched.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!