Call from eldest 46 yr old son

Hey, any excuse for dancing is a good one! ;-) you've just got one of the best!

Yaay for your son, you of course, and your entire family!

Wishes for continued improvement ..

Much happiness ahead for all of you!

Good news. Very happy for you guys. oh oh

Oh my goodness, what wonderful news! Hope he continues to get better and better and that he's never troubled by health problems again!!! oh oh

Right Peggyc? He looks and feels healthy. He enjoys his bike riding from Brooklyn through Central Park. He enjoys his four kids, his wife and his work. Whatever he is doing it is working!

Thanks everyone for for your loving support. It is so appreciated and helps a lot!

Another update. Sean just completed a harvesting of his own stem cells for a bone marrow transplant in January. He kept track of all that was done in case his brother or sister need to do this for him in the future. He says he has tons now for his future but you never know.

I am just so heartsick that this is his life from now on. I want to say it sucks and yet I am so grateful he is still here with us. Ach!

He is surrounded by love, ootg, and when something this frightening happens one of the best things a person can do is stay in the moment and feel the love. But from a mother's perspective it must be so hard to be in that place with him.

I know your family is aware of clinical trials, but since I always feel the need to be helpful, here is a good site:
http://myelomacenter.org/research_and_clinical_trials/

Sending you wishes for your son's improving health.

Lisat, you are so kind and very helpful. It's wonderful that in this day and age Sean has so many options. When I speak with him again I will share this site with him. Thankfully I have my sisters to keep me grounded and pray for me to stay strong. And blessed MOL for my weak moments. Thank you.

Sending love and PVs.

Also sending love and PVs. We all know too much about illness and our loved ones these days, don't we? He is facing it bravely, and I hope all will be well for him for a very, very long time to come.

Thanks Joanne and Peggyc. It's a good hope and may very well come true.

I too am very sorry for what your son is going through and that you have to watch this heartache for your child. I can't imagine how hard it must be. I hope he continues to do well and live a happy life.

My friend's husband now celebrates a 2nd birthday each year: the day of his stem cell transplant. He was like a baby with his immunity being so low that he had to avoid contact with people for a while. But it was a miracle cure for him. So I think you should look forward to your son's second birthday and we will celebrate with you online. Think positive! question :*

Oh what a joyful thing to read just before I go to bed. Thank you musicmz! :X

Wow. This is the first real-life example I've heard of the potential of stem cells. I keep wistfully hoping that somebody will find that stem cells can cure some of MY problems (she said selfishly) wink

Musicmz, I'm SO glad your friend's husband has found that treatment so successful. That's really heartwarming and gives us all hope for better things in the future.

musicmz said:

My friend's husband now celebrates a 2nd birthday each year: the day of his stem cell transplant. He was like a baby with his immunity being so low that he had to avoid contact with people for a while. But it was a miracle cure for him. So I think you should look forward to your son's second birthday and we will celebrate with you online. Think positive! question :*
I also have a friend whose life was saved by a stem cell transplant almost ten years ago. Different disease, but another miracle outcome.

Unfortunately, his brother and father passed away 20 and 15 years ago from the same thing; his doctors from Hackensack Medical said that they normally re-did the procedure automatically six months (?) down the line, but have adjusted protocol in the last 3 years to save the extra cells for back-up, not a re-do. I'm a little foggy on details, but when I see my friend today I'll ask her for specifics.

I guess that is why this disease is so scary to me having lost a brother to it who was only 53. ( years ago, 1993) I remember sister's telling me he was tired of the disease and did a trial thing that would either make him better or kill him. It killed my brother Billie.

I don't think my son's drs would be so cavalier and of course we have come a long way in the last 21 years.

I'm so sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis - especially at his young age. My husband was diagnosed nearly 12 years ago when he was 44.
While it's definitely a tough disease there gave been so many options for treatment in the past dozen years. If you or your family need or want to talk please PM me at any time.

Thanks Agnes. I am taking a hiatus for the holidays from worrying about him. Come January I may take you up on that.

PeggyC said:

Wow. This is the first real-life example I've heard of the potential of stem cells. I keep wistfully hoping that somebody will find that stem cells can cure some of MY problems (she said selfishly) wink

@PeggyC, we have a 3 yr old friend who was diagnosed 2 months ago with neuroblastoma. They did a stem cell harvest last week and plan to transplant in the near future. Hoping as hard as I can that it works.

Sending love and strength...

Thanks justmelaura. We are all happy now and anticipating a good outcome at least for the near future.

Our neighbor had MM several years ago, and he is healthy and doing great, which I'm sure will be the outcome for your gorgeous son and daughter in law. You can just see the joy and life force pouring out of them in that picture! I am so glad they have such a great support system. I will keep you all in my prayers. @IM80, I am very sorry for your devastating loss, and will pray for you as well. Xo

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.