For seniors — and for those with seniors in their lives…

unicorn33, oh wow, sympathies to your daughter's family!  All i can suggest is that the son-in-law try to reach whoever his parents may be in contact with, to find out if there's any help available:  doctor's office? neighbor? house cleaner? gardener? congregation/religious leader??  Otherwise, Arizona does seem to have a 211 number to call for service referrals, or their town/development may have senior services available.  Best quick recoveries to all!!

unicorn33, oh wow, sympathies to your daughter's family!  All i can suggest is that the son-in-law try to reach whoever his parents may be in contact with, to find out if anyone knows who can help:  doctor's office? neighbor? house cleaner? gardener? congregation/religious leader??  Otherwise, Arizona does seem to have a 211 number to call for service referrals, or their town/development may have senior services available.  Best quick recoveries to all!!

Edited to add:  based on family experience, they may be able to avoid passing the infection to the wife by observing the usual protocols, given some luck.

unicorn33 said:

This question is not for me, but for my son-in-law's parents in Arizona. They are both seniors, not in the best of health. The father had Covid symptoms and now has tested positive, while his wife has significant health issues and can't be left alone; plus, she likely will herself catch Covid from him. Under better circumstances, my son-in-law would travel there from his home in Washington State. However, he himself, his wife (my daughter), and their kids all are ill with Covid, too (and their daycare center is presently closed). If his father has to go to the hospital, who will take care of his mother?? Unfortunately, they have no caretaking arrangements in place. Any suggestions for what they could do would be most appreciated. (We're obviously thousands of miles away and are ourselves seniors.) Thanks.

Does the parent's local or state government have a department for the aging or equivalent in place that would have a caseworker or social worker on staff who could help with referrals to resources that could help?   

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm also reaching out to the AARP.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/02/business/japan-elderly-surveillance.html

Interesting approach to cognitive loss from the nation with the oldest population: Japan.

A story in the NYT today has this to say….

In New York City, about a third of residents over 65 live alone, at risk of 

becoming socially isolated — a condition that carries a health risk comparable to 

smoking 15 cigarettes a day.

I thought I posted on possible social security changes, a senior issue. Possibly I forgot to hit submit.

Its a copy of my post in the political sub-forum. Some seniors may not look in that sub-forum so making them aware here may be of use.

The posting can be seen at

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/subforum/the-death-of-social-security/politics-plus?page=next&limit=0#discussion-replies-3600680

I question your motive for reposting that link on this thread, for its content is obviously political. 

While we seniors may be elderly, we are not stupid, nor easily frightened by obvious pre-midterms scare tactics.

mtierney said:

I question your motive for reposting that link on this thread, for its content is obviously political. 

While we seniors may be elderly, we are not stupid, nor easily frightened by obvious pre-midterms scare tactics.

Duh. Guess what? Social security benefits are political and of obvious interest to seniors. What is given, such as COLA increases, can be taken away or deferred. Look in NJ at the Homestead rebate (now Anchor) which in 2021 processed the 2018 application. Years of deferral.

I posted because some seniors may not look in the political sub-forums. Also, its not a scare tactic considering some politicians said they need to cut entitlements.

If you were in a township senior center which has a no political rule, would you then object if someone brought up possible changes to social security or Medicare?

Why do you object to seniors being informed?

RTrent said:

That has to be the most incorrect observation directed at me since the 1990s when  things related to seniors became a personal interest to my spouse and I.

Since the 2000 tax reveal and the subsequent fall out for long term Maplewood homeowners, I have used this platform — and others — to inform seniors what’s happening in their world — the good and not so good news. Over my 48 years in town, and the years since, I have always “said something when I see something”. 

mtierney said:

That has to be the most incorrect observation directed at me since the 1990s when  things related to seniors became a personal interest to my spouse and I.

In other words, when it became relevant to you you began to care.  Like seemingly all Republicans, it's only a matter of concern when it impacts you personally.

P.S.  It's "my spouse and me."

Steve said:

mtierney said:

In other words, when it became relevant to you you began to care.  Like seemingly all Republicans, it's only a matter of concern when it impacts you personally.

P.S.  It's "my spouse and me."

Astute observation. 

Crime, watching people mindlessly hurled onto train tracks, are no longer horrific, but relatively rare occurrences, but every few days. The sidewalks of our cities are putrid, foul smelling, and dangerous encampments.  The revolving door set up by the criminal justice system results in disturbed individuals randomly slashing bystanders. 

Before I was a senior myself, as I already have noted, I fought hard against many issues which hurt senior citizens, be it confiscatory taxation, zoning, or  quality of life choices. Our parents,  as they aged, also painted a realistic vision of “our golden years” for us.

If you are very fortunate and blessed, you too, will live a long, productive life, and have the opportunity to thank new generations of Americans for providing safety and security for all.

Bet you haven't stepped foot into NYC in over a year and are simply regurgitating the gruel being fed to you by "that station."

mtierney said:

RTrent said:

Since the 2000 tax reveal and the subsequent fall out for long term Maplewood homeowners, I have used this platform — and others — to inform seniors what’s happening in their world — the good and not so good news. Over my 48 years in town, and the years since, I have always “said something when I see something”. 

You know very well what I meant. Or do I have to spell it out? Why do you object to seniors being informed about the Social Security issue? That's what we were talking about. Instead, you avoid answering by claiming all these supposedly great things you brought up in the past.

You wrote

While we seniors may be elderly, we are not stupid, nor easily frightened by obvious pre-midterms scare tactics.

From where I'm sitting it seems the you're the one who thinks seniors are stupid and easily scared. Why else go to the trouble of attempting to prevent them from learning of this. Let them look at my Social Security posting and let them make their own decision, instead of trying to stop them.

I'm not going into this further here because this thread should be on senior issues.

RTrent said:

You wrote

While we seniors may be elderly, we are not stupid, nor easily frightened by obvious pre-midterms scare tactics.

From where I'm sitting it seems the you're the one who thinks seniors are stupid and easily scared. Why else go to the trouble of attempting to prevent them from learning of this. Let them look at my Social Security posting and let them make their own decision, instead of trying to stop them.

I'm not going into this further here because this thread should be on senior issues.

Ahem, you are the poster who chose to post in this thread — one I started for senior news sharing on Sept 10, 2015.

Again, I'm posting a new link to the possible threats to social security and Medicare for the benefit of those who don't look in the politics sub-forum.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/subforum/the-death-of-social-security/politics-plus?page=next&limit=0#discussion-replies-3602320

Defined as people in their forties with children and parents needing care and financial aid…

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/02/opinion/sandwich-generation.html

@jamie

Got to reading Jamie’s post and felt sad to hear of  MOL aging out. I joined during the dial up days of the great reveal, circa 2000! 

I have a Twitter account, seldom read; an Instagram account, which I loath, for the sake of my seven grandkids; and Facebook, which provides me a presence in the world I really enjoy! I “talk” with people worldwide about gardening, sharing container tips and photos. I revel in cat, dog, and senior issue cartoons, which lighten the aging alone load considerably. Cooking solo is tough after cooking for six, but lots of tips come via FB. Streaming, books, 

low battery, will pick up this conversation again….

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.