How did the PARCC go for your child today?

Call me crazy but I doubt 68% of Montclair high schoolers opted out because the test was "a little out of the comfort zone."

They never took it. How could they know what it was like? They did learn a good lesson, though. If something might or might not be effective, the best approach is to have your parents shield you from it.

It will be interesting to see what kind of draconian provisions districts like Montclair will feel compelled to implement when there is the threat of losing state funding due to the low participation rates.

I hope that was an empty threat. I have been in favor of testing, but I don't want the schools hurt by the state.

You're right. School districts should do whatever they want to, however they want to, without any interference or penalty from the state.

Though given Montclair's huge problems as it is, they don't seem to need any help in screwing themselves over on the financial front. May as well add this to the list.

Perhaps someday, school districts will offer to pay students a fee to take the tests so that they don't lose state funding. Then the students can unionize and demand higher pay and extra days off to prepare.

I can dream, can't I? :-D

ctrzaska said:

You're right. School districts should do whatever they want to, however they want to, without any interference or penalty from the state.

Though given Montclair's huge problems as it is, they don't seem to need any help in screwing themselves over on the financial front. May as well add this to the list.

Well, Montclair families aren't alone in refusing to go along with PARCC in mass numbers.

Princeton had almost 1,000 opt outs.
Bernards had over 1,000.
East Orange and West Orange had over 1,000.
Ridgewood over 1,100.
Livingston over 1,400
Cherry Hill had over 2,500.
(And these are just preliminary numbers. No doubt actual numbers will be higher, especially after the May round of testing.)

And if you really, really believe that these districts have screwed themselves of funding, I have a bridge to sell you.

I didn't say I believed Montclair would ultimately get screwed (though nothing would surprise me in this state), just that I could care less if they do other than to express bemusement at the repercussion.

I live in Madison and my 4th grader took PARCC a couple weeks ago. He went into the test with no anxiety and said the test was pretty easy. He was most delighted that on PARCC days there was no homework. I asked him if anyone opted out and he said no. When I asked other parents I knew in town, they all said their child took the test. I know this is not the most accurate assessment of PARCC attendance for my district, but I wonder why there's so much resistance in some districts and not so much in others?

Some districts are "progressive" and some are not.

Sorry, do 'progressive' districts take the test or not take the test...I'm confused.

Depends on how you define "progressive". The word is sorta like "smurf" or "diversity".

Was referencing xavier67 comment above

A piece in NPR about the opt-out movement in New York.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2015/04/20/400396254/anti-test-opt-out-movement-makes-a-wave-in-new-york-state?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150420

With the second half of PARCC completed, the district now says that 16% of its students ended up opting out. After the initial round of testing in March, the district had touted the low 2% opt-out rate. I wonder how we got to 16%. 

http://villagegreennj.com/schools-kids/parcc-opt-outs-hit-40-columbia-high-school/ 

From the article you posted, it's pretty clear how it got that high: because of the high school student opt-out rate.

If you're asking how come the district didn't mention this sooner, here's my guess: The number of HS students who didn't want to take the test was high, but there were no 'opt out letters' beforehand for the district to track this. I believe that if the HS students don't answer some minimum # of questions on the test (even if they log into the tests site), it is not considered an attempt. Thus, it's an opt-out.

As you can see from the article you linked, for elementary and middle school, the opt-out rate ranges between 1%-7% by school. I'm guessing these were more likely to be associated with opt-out letters from parents, and tracked earlier.

Proponents of expanded testing need to take a step back and think about what they are doing. Right now, teachers hate the tests, kids hate the tests and there is no incentive to take the test seriously. Do you think there might be some dysfunctional behavior?

As education has moved into the political arena, the clear victims are the students. You can be sure that politicians and test proponents don't really about the kids except maybe their own. Politicians care about reducing complex problems to simplistic numbers they can use to befuddle voters. Or they care about using the tests as a club with which to beat their favorite bogeyman - teachers.

tjohn said:
Proponents of expanded testing ...

What is "expanded" testing?

PARCC. Consumes more resources than any previous testing.

True - definitely an administration time suck from what I can tell. I don't know if it's a 'first year' thing, or if that's forever.

But the time students spend actually testing doesn't seem much different from NJ ASK (from what I can tell with my own child... and from some comparison sheet I saw with the time spent on the test itself).

If I were to guess, I think next year we'll see some combining of testing days. (Either students taking 2 sections in one day, or multiple grade levels testing the same day). My kid said they took the 4th grade PARCC on the chrome books in their classroom -- so there doesn't seem to be a 'computer room' constraint that forces such a large number of calendared testing days.

I suppose I am a proponent of having some standardized measure by which to compare student learning in different classrooms and schools. Preferably it's a standardized measure that measures something useful for understanding something else - and that link is helpful in some way.

That said --- I don't have an opinion on the PARCC yet. We won't know if it will be helpful in understanding something else until that link is found. If the same thing could be understood in a simpler standardized way, then I would be a proponent of that simpler way.

I am disappointed by that rate of opt out at the high school level, but I can understand it. The Parcc test is supposed to check how we are doing with the common core, and since the common core is relatively new here it is the younger kids who we should be assessing as the years go by.

I am glad my child took the tests, since they don't count as much now. It let us see what works and what doesn't, and while I still want to see the results I already have drawn some conclusions. First, this pass was a good idea if only to iron out the administrative glitches and let the kids know what the test is like. Second, we do need to find a way to have it take up fewer days of school, either by doubling up sections or some other means.

My son has told me that he will be less nervous next year, now that he has a better idea what to expect. Since testing is here to stay I think it is good that he took it.

I am all for constant improvements in the quality, content, and administration of the tests. Opting out doesn't help with any of that.

I think the numbers reported in the Village Green article are actually low. The table says that 2 MMS 8th graders refused testing--I know of at least 4, and I don't know that many people.

sprout said:
If I were to guess, I think next year we'll see some combining of testing days. (Either students taking 2 sections in one day, or multiple grade levels testing the same day).

Middle school did have 2 sections of the same subject each day. In my opinion, this was a bit much. Almost 3 hours of testing in a day. HIgh school also had 2 sections a day, one for each subject.

frances said:
I think the numbers reported in the Village Green article are actually low. The table says that 2 MMS 8th graders refused testing--I know of at least 4, and I don't know that many people.

It's also true for Clinton. I know of at least eight 3rd grade families who opted out but the district says there were only 6. The district, once again, is spinning things. And these are people who supposedly work for us.

Interesting. These percentages will all be publicly reported with the assessment summaries next year, so it makes no sense at all to try to pretend things are better than they are. It also makes no sense to report the numbers before the numbers are all in, as it will only look worse later -- leaving the district looking foolish.

... But, since the district already lost a half-million on a useless SPED report because of lack of data collection, I suppose this data mix-up would just be small potatoes. Unless the district loses more than that from the opt-out rate.

Looks like a decision was made yesterday to shorten the testing time, and reduce it to one testing window instead of two.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/states-vote-to-shorten-common-core-aligned-tests-known-as-parcc/2015/05/21/0e6807b6-ffc2-11e4-833c-a2de05b6b2a4_story.html

Wow, that's some real rocket science there. Do they really expect substantive changes in results between March and May?

No. The test was divided into two parts. I really wish people would make some effort to understand this issue before they blast everything about it. Not everyone involved in creating this test is a moron. There is room for intelligent disagreement, but a little research goes a long way.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.