Meanderings...

There is a faint greenish tint to pistachios when they are still in the shell, but it's NOTHING like the color you get with things that are "pistachio-flavored." Horrible stuff. As for the walnut... I got nothin'.

I have decided to speak out against the neo-fascist movement of al dente pasta and vegetables. We have been lied to by the foodies. I am tired of toothsome ziti and crunchy broccoli. These foods should be tender.

There. I said it. Al dente is for the birds.

"Toothsome" just made me snort

Hey, how's the south? Got a drawl yet?

I do live in southern west orange, I suppose you could say.

Still in nj until thursday

Is this the place for random musing? May I play?

Almond milk should be called almond juice. It's nothing like milk. Any resemblance to milk is the color. They're both white.

Interesting you mention almond milk. Mother Jones has been carping about what a monstrous waste of resources the production of almond milk is. Yet another hipster driven piece of nutritional woo.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/07/lay-off-almond-milk-ignorant-hipsters

Actually another example of leftist elitism. And a failure created by government intervention in the market. If there was a free market in water in California it would not be economic to grow almonds to make almond milk. But because of government there is not a free market so growers get water at below its economic cost and can grow crops that are crazy to grow in a desert.

NSFW, but it's Lewis Black, so I don't think I really need to tell you that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXS5GBuk-GQ

so, surgery is approaching. will probably be on 12/11 or 12/18. I've decided to go on a farewell tour of foods that I'm unlikely to ever eat again, or certainly not for a long while, and definitely not in the usual portion.

I'll probably hit up some restaurants that I'm unlikely to visit again for a year or two. My eating out over the next year will probably be limited to diners where I can order small amounts like a soup or a couple of eggs.

Luckily my tastes are pretty plebeian so making the rounds of restaurants will be pretty cheap. And yes Olive Garden will be included, so SHUT UP. I find decent but schlocky Italian food comforting.

One thing I'm having trouble finding is a corn dog. I have a hankering for a corn dog, and minus a Country or Street Fair, where the hell am I going to find a corn dog? I scoured the ShopRite freezers hoping for a frozen variety but couldn't find anything. Anyone know of a corn dog source?

update: well I'll be. corndogs.com (yes, that's what I said) says that shoprite carries them. Will have to double check.

If you want decent but schlocky Italian food, try Macaroni Grill rather than Olive Garden. Much tastier food. smile

Corndogs.com oh oh

Macaroni Grill is ok. I've been there a number of times and might include them in the farewell tour. Olive Garden is homier. I like the soggy salad with the pepperoncini peppers.

I do miss the hot artichoke dip appetizer from Macaroni Grill though.

No reason why you can't fit both into your busy schedule... wink

You can go to Carmine's in NYC and eat the family portions yourself.

Can I just say it would be extremely unhealthy to go into the surgery after an orgy of gorging? I know, I know, I'm preaching... but if it were me, I would go to all the restaurants I love, but eat in moderation. Just to taste the foods I would be missing for awhile.

Do you have to give up all those foods in perpetuity? Or can you still eat what you love in much smaller amounts once you have recovered from the surgery? I know there is a substantial lifestyle change involved, and that in the early days after the surgery your eating habits will be radically affected, but I'm not clear on what the ongoing program is for your particular procedure.

Well, I wouldn't call it an orgy of gorging, exactly. It's just a handful of restaurant meals and a corndog.

As for giving up foods - I'll have to radically cut back on my carb intake, but that should be largely taken care of by the reduced appetite resulting from the surgery. The biggest change will be in the size of portions, again, that should be handled by the surgery itself as I'll feel full after a very small portion. I would still be able to eat foods that I used to enjoy, just in much smaller amounts.

However what I am finding out from my various user forums is that after surgery a lot of people can no longer tolerate foods that they used to eat before surgery. This seems to be more common in the gastric bypass surgery than in the gastric sleeve surgery. I'm getting the sleeve so hopefully I won't be affected by that too much.

Also, the first year or so is an adjustment period as the stomach heals so you have to be kind of gentle as to what sorts of food you introduce to your new plumbing. Things become more normal the further out you are from the surgery.

The first month after surgery is two weeks of liquid diet followed by two weeks of pureed mush. Can't wait.

This might give you some inspiration.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/

The "orgy of gorging" comment was more of a response to the suggestion of Carmine's. I remember the size of the family portions at Carmine's!

The plan for your first months/year sounds like what my SIL did after the gastric bypass. It makes sense. I had not heard of the problem of not being able to enjoy the same foods... that would be disconcerting. I hope you find that you can enjoy all the things you loved before!

Never been to Carmine's, but I've been at the never ending dinners of my Mom, so I can imagine.

Yeah, the stories about food rebelling on people are disconcerting to say the least because you just don't know what to expect. A lot of people even report not being able to tolerate water, which is hard to believe. Even water has to be taken in small amounts, which will be tough for me because I tend to be a guzzler.

New research out today from Sweden about consumption of milk not being great for your health, so careful about replacing food with a milk-based smoothie or other drink, when you're post-op.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_149181.html

A short while of substitutions should be OK, if you tolerate it. And one a day, for example, should be OK. Just - be careful.

Trader Joe's has twp kinds of corn dogs.

I've never been a big milk consumer (well, except for ice cream, my downfall) and I've always given some credence to the idea that milk isn't really a natural food for adult humans.

But the study only found increased risks in women who consumed more than 3 glasses of milk a day, which is quite a lot in my book.

nan said:

Trader Joe's has twp kinds of corn dogs.

Do they? I found some at Pathmark but they were pretty disappointing. Maybe I'll check out TJ's.

DB, there were some increased risks for men too. In any case, glad that you're aware. Most meal supplements/replacement drinks seem to be based on milk products, so thought the research could be helpful to know about.

Yeah, I'm not sure if my doctor goes for the protein shake supplements or not, which usually are milk based, though they don't have to be. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

I have used a number of protein powders over the years that can be mixed with juice, or even water. There are choices out there, if that kind of product passes your doctor's inspection. cheese

Hi Peggy. I've read some of the labels of packs easily mixed with water or juice (because I wanted to use them) and the base ingredients already in the pack are often derived from dairy products...hides in ways you wouldn't realise. Sugars, flow-agents, thickeners, some flavour enhancers, and yes, as DB mentions, some of the proteins, and nutritional elements (calcium, etc) themselves.

Because these come from dairy, they're perceived as 'natural' and 'wholesome', 'health giving'. They still affect you same as if you have some milk or cheese, butter or yoghurt if you're sensitive enough. The study indicates in enough quantity, we all can be. After radical surgery, an individual's digestive system may become temporarily or permanently reactive to dairy in any form.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!