John Ramos - Ex Super of Bridgeport CT choosen as new Super

Take some comfort from the fact that miracle workers in an impoverished school district will accomplish less than average workers in a healthy school district. In other words, the new super could be spectacularly awful and the most serious problem would be that a lot of people would experience premature aging from the stress of it all.

davidfrazer said:

mod said:

I think that googling has created a bunch of instant experts. Realistically , given the salary cap we were looking at either new untested Supers looking to make their mark and using our district to build their resume , or a super with experience looking for a soft landing for their last job. I think we have had the resume builder and really needed to find someone with experience and a track record. Our BOE are not naive and I am sure they dug into the controversies surrounding his tenure at Bridgeprt, Bridgeport was and is a very troubled district. It looks like Ramos had his successes and his failures.

mod said:

I'll just say that having an extensive track record is both a blessing and a curse. It is quite a bit easier to withstand scrutiny as an up and comer.

These comments are spot on. In an age of school "reform" and "accountability" and a demand for "results" any super who takes on tough assignments like Bridgeport is going to make some enemies and have mixed results. Any experienced supers who have avoided this fate almost certainly helm districts without the educational or political challenges of places like Bridgeport or SOMSD. We don't really need someone from a homogenous wealthy suburban district. We need someone with experience in the educational and political trenches. Ramos seems to fit the bill.

Yes.

Ramos should be applauded for working in Bridgeport and not ducking the tough issues. I've been reading about Bridgeport--their school board politics makes ours look like paddy cake. I like that toughness.

I also like his focus on funding. This is really where our school district is feeling the pain. If we don't figure out a way to resolve our budget situation as an Abbot Rim district, our children are going to keep hurting from a hundred little cuts.

Bottom line--I'm keeping an open mind.

ace11 said:

He looks pretty impressive to me, high school principle in Norwalk, then moved to assistant superintendent, He left Norwalk to become the superintendent in Coventry.  When he left Coventry he worked at the State Department of Ed before becoming superintendent for Bridgeport Public Schools.  Unfortunately, four years ago Bridgeport was taken over by the State and John was forced to leave. State Commissioner Pryor brought in a group from Chicago to take over the Bridgeport Schools and clean house.  Ironically, the Chicago group and Commissioner Pryor were asked to leave a year ago. His peers in Norwalk think highly of him. This info came from people that worked for him.

mantram said:

This article sheds some much needed light on the thinking behind the hire:

http://villagegreennj.com/schools-kids/south-orange-maplewood-hire-ramos-superintendent

Thanks for this information. I hope people who posted links to the first articles they found on Google will take a little time to understand the sequence of what happened in Bridgeport. And even better go and meet the man in person.

From the VILLAGE GREEN: Dr. Ramos will be visiting South Orange and Maplewood in April. At that time, there will be an opportunity for him to engage with students, District administration and staff, ASCA and SOMEA leadership, PTA and community leaders, and the community at large. A community forum is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, April 7th from 7:30 – 9:00pm. Dr. Ramos will also be visiting schools. Plans are being finalized now, and more details will be forthcoming shortly.

Ctrzaska-

I try to not be "doom and gloom" but 2%/year does not cover paying teachers, operating facilities and addressing the growing special needs requirements. I think the district is at some risk of peril.

Then you should be relieved to know that the BOE approved a budget last night with a slightly over 2% tax increase. Actually the tax levy increase for the operating budget was around 2.3%. Legally they could have approached 4%, but did not.
Still may not be enough, but 5 of the 9 board members saw the need and had the courage to respond to it.
Under any circumstances, Dr. Ramos and the board will have to make tough decisions every year going forward, and that IS a bit depressing.

The 2% cap is full of exemptions.

ice said:

Then you should be relieved to know that the BOE approved a budget last night with a slightly over 2% tax increase. Actually the tax levy increase for the operating budget was around 2.3%. Legally they could have approached 4%, but did not.
Still may not be enough, but 5 of the 9 board members saw the need and had the courage to respond to it.
Under any circumstances, Dr. Ramos and the board will have to make tough decisions every year going forward, and that IS a bit depressing.

Our district may be uncommonly hard-pressed for money, but the money problem affects all districts. Of course, as we are Americans who, according to Churchill, can be counted upon doing the right thing only after first exhausting all other possibilities, I am not expecting us to fund public education at the necessary levels for some time to come.

The guy's solution to Bridgeport's school budget problems was to not pay attention to the money, say whatever money they had was not enough, and then push the board to resign and let the state take over. SOMA is facing a money crisis. Would you want him to take that approach here? And FFB is 100% on the mark in terms of future home values.

I'm not religious, but a couple of his listed influences from jayjap's link above seem pretty positive to me:

http://warwickonline.com/stories/Rev-McCaffrey-hopes-to-attract-new-parishioners-at-Edgewood-Congregational,53943?print=1

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/01ctintro.html?pagewanted=all

(scroll down to Pastor and Activist)

Not that it's ever been done before cough, but Ramos might be a foil to make who the board really wants to hire look like a response to an outraged public uproar.

dave said:

Not that it's ever been done before cough, but Ramos might be a foil to make who the board really wants to hire look like a response to an outraged public uproar.

Someone's been watching too many episodes of House of Cards...

I did write that while looking at my camera....

ctrzaska said:

dave said:

Because who wants ideals and aspirations all mixed up in education? grin)

I agree. Here's one: Every kid should get a pony.

+10

I smell an illuminati conspiracy.

Wayne Eastman elaborates on the selection, including thoughts on Ramos's time in Bridgeport ("an excellent sign of someone who stepped into a very, very tough environment and brought about big change in a positive way”):

http://villagegreennj.com/schools-kids/ramos-head-shoulders-qualified-superintendent-candidates/

And Ramos offers an open letter to the community ("Further, I believe in the concept of servant leadership"):

http://villagegreennj.com/schools-kids/letter-south-orange-maplewood-school-community-new-superintendent-ramos/

Why do I feel that whenever anyone feels the need to emphasize "ALL" the kids, there is an underlying idea that not all the minority kids are being served, especially when that phrase is used by a minority individual. Its like code speak. I've got news for Dr. Ramos. The segment of "ALL the kids" that is not being served is the gifted and talented segment regardless of race. What is he going to do about that?

jjp... you don't even use this school system. But thanks for tossing into the air the few pieces of the many-faceted discussion of this district's education system that fits your world view.

sprout said:

jjp... you don't even use this school system. But thanks for tossing into the air the few pieces of the many-faceted discussion of this district's education system that fits your world view.

+1

I think Ramos as Superintendent sounds quite promising.

"Brought about big change in a positive way?" Does he think we're all a bunch of f**king idiots? The state took over the district. Well, that's definitely "change." WTF?

meandtheboys said:

"Brought about big change in a positive way?" Does he think we're all a bunch of f**king idiots? The state took over the district. Well, that's definitely "change." WTF?

For myself, I can't tell from the articles, about what point in the process he was brought in. As in, was he brought in as a guy to fix something that was doing badly, and was he part of the process to transition to a solution? That's the part that I can't seem to find being communicated. It would help if that was clarified.

It sounds like Ramos requested that the state take over the Bridgeport school system.
The details are not clear to me though.

Two things stand out from his letter.

First, if I hear the hackneyed phrase "equity and excellence" one more time I might just hurl. Seriously. Enough.

Second, I like his reference to the concept of servant leadership. Whether he can achieve a paradigm shift to actually implement an effective structure is the million-dollar question, but I appreciate the mindset.

If one is to believe NYT reportingd on this topic, he along with other board members urged the State to take over the District, which would make sense, considering it was failing and he was a former CT Deputy Ed Cmmsr. so doubtful he thinks we're all f**king idiots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/nyregion/next-bridgeport-conn-board-of-education-to-be-appointed-by-state.html?_r=0

"The board president, Barbara P. Bellinger, with the support of five other members as well as the superintendent and the mayor, went to Hartford on Wednesday to request that the State Board of Education replace all nine Bridgeport board members with new appointees. The state board, appointed by the governor, agreed despite its own divisions: its vote was 5 to 4."

meandtheboys said:

He built 7 new schools, oversaw changes to teacher evaluation systems, and several of the schools in Bridgeport were named blue Ribbon Schools under his watch. So not as simple as your post would make it seem.

But would he have called an early dismissal for today and, if so, when?

ctrzaska said:

Two things stand out from his letter.

First, if I hear the hackneyed phrase "equity and excellence" one more time I might just hurl. Seriously. Enough.

Second, I like his reference to the concept of servant leadership. Whether he can achieve a paradigm shift to actually implement an effective structure is the million-dollar question, but I appreciate the mindset.

Servant leadership is a term used often by born again Christians. They are "serving god" while leading their workplace. Tim Tebow and Kevin Durant often use this term (not that there is anything wrong with this), but is definitely a religious perspective. (also, not that he is going to be overtly religious while doing his job)

The equity and excellence stuff is well overplayed. It seems to be more about equity of outcomes, and have very little to do with excellence of anything.

Perhaps he will work out fine. Perhaps he is also another "vision" person like Osborne, who will implement things based on fuzzy data, and then not bother to evaluate them. But, I think the BOE has wised up to this and will probably tamp down on these ideas that are supposed to "close the gap" but have so far done nothing. What the district needs now is someone who will manage the budget and determine what, if anything should be done about IB. There needs to be a fiscal and administrative manager, not a visionary.

The good thing is that at this stage of his career, he is probably not looking to polish his resume by bringing about transformations and innovative programs which have dubious value, and then leaving for greener pastures on the basis of his "success" here.

Sprout- Any taxpayer has a right to an opinion as to how their tax dollars are being used or abused, regardless of whether their kids currently use the school system.

I'm wondering. Is the BOE going to provide moving reimbursement from Qatar? IF so, is this his way of getting back stateside on our dime?

The whole SL thing has been appropriated all over the place. It's actually an AT&T thing if I'm not mistaken (though my memory is fuzzy on that front). The concept itself I've found interesting. It does work, but takes a strong and effective leader to implement and solid buy-in.

ctrzaska said:

The whole SL thing has been appropriated all over the place. It's actually an AT&T thing if I'm not mistaken (though my memory is fuzzy on that front). The concept itself I've found interesting. It does work, but takes a strong and effective leader to implement and solid buy-in.

I did not know the term had gone viral. I obviously spend too much time watching SEC sports cheese

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.