Julian Assange Being Turned over to UK????

nan said:

bets said:

nan said:

bets said:
Nan, you seem to ascribe to the Trump supporters creed that "say something enough and it makes it true."  Please stop.  
 bets, you act like a troll.  You just come on here and on Facebook and attack me and never offer any examples or engage in conversation.  It seems you don't like it when someone does not agree with you.  Please stop.
 Holy crap you are relentless. When do YOU listen? 
 I'm not going to listen to an endless tirade of personal attacks.  Grow up.

No reason to go after real journalists for reporting the story.   Lots of reasons to go after Assange for soliciting the stolen info and then selectively posting it.  

Assange is a rapist and a Russian agent, who helped Russia interfere in our elections, which is an act of war. He deserves to be brought to justice.

callista said:
Assange is a rapist and a Russian agent, who helped Russia interfere in our elections, which is an act of war. He deserves to be brought to justice.

The charges were dropped, and there is no evidence to show what you claim.  Sounds insane.  Where ever you are getting your news, you need to stop or at least add in some new sources.

sbenois said:

nan said:

bets said:

nan said:

bets said:
Nan, you seem to ascribe to the Trump supporters creed that "say something enough and it makes it true."  Please stop.  
 bets, you act like a troll.  You just come on here and on Facebook and attack me and never offer any examples or engage in conversation.  It seems you don't like it when someone does not agree with you.  Please stop.
 Holy crap you are relentless. When do YOU listen? 
 I'm not going to listen to an endless tirade of personal attacks.  Grow up.
No reason to go after real journalists for reporting the story.   Lots of reasons to go after Assange for soliciting the stolen info and then selectively posting it.  

If Assange is prosecuted, than all other journalists will be prosecuted as well.  It will set a dangerous precedent.  Once again, it does not matter if you HATE Julian Assange, for the sake of freedom of the press.  It would turn leaks and whistleblowers into treason.  You don't want that even if you think you do.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-war-on-assange-is-a-war-on-press-freedom/

If they can start with Jimmy Dore I will be good with it.

The Death of Truth:

https://www.truthdig.com/dig/the-death-of-truth/

Excerpt:  " . . . Assange, Manning and WikiLeaks, by making public in 2010 half a million internal documents from the Pentagon and the State Department, along with the 2007 video of U.S. helicopter pilots nonchalantly gunning down Iraqi civilians, including children, and two Reuters journalists, effectively exposed the empire’s hypocrisy, indiscriminate violence and its use of torture, lies, bribery and crude tactics of intimidation. WikiLeaks shone a spotlight into the inner workings of empire — the most important role of a press — and for this it has become empire’s prey. . ."

This is some of what Assange has been able to bring to light.  The US gunning down children and journalists.  And no one participating was ever charged with a crime for doing that. Only Manning and Assange were punished.  And so many of you are celebrating his arrest and at least one calling for his execution.  

You complain about Trump being a dictator and then you celebrate the possibility of a totalitarian state where no information like this can be shared.  

Nan, with respect (a phrase you no doubt deplore), there are many other well-established journalists whose brilliant and patient exposés over several decades will lead to prosecution and almost lifetime jail sentences in your nation and mine, as a result of changing legislation in the name of 'national security'. 

The future of the world does not depend on Assange alone.

LOST said:

yahooyahoo said:
By definition, the DNC is biased. So is the RNC, they tried everything they could to get rid of Trump before he steamrolled the other GOP candidates. 
 I have not finished reading this thread, but the tragedy of the 2016 Election is that the RNC did not do enough to stop Trump. They should have done anything and everything short of "making him an offer he could not refuse".

Why?  They are getting everything they could possibly hope for, at least in the short term.  You seem to think they put the country first.  

joanne said:
Nan, with respect (a phrase you no doubt deplore), there are many other well-established journalists whose brilliant and patient exposés over several decades will lead to prosecution and almost lifetime jail sentences in your nation and mine, as a result of changing legislation in the name of 'national security'. 
The future of the world does not depend on Assange alone.

There are few as important as Julian Assange and that's why the US wants to get him--specifically so they can make an example.  This is huge and so what if he's not the only one?

As I said earlier, let's hope that Jimmy Dore is next.

Right, let's kill all the champions of free speech. And then complain about Trump doing that.

nan, no.

To you, yes.

In other places and spheres, no. If that were true, Murdoch wouldn't be splurging all his billions for over a decade trying to kill off our ABC, and its journos even after they've left Aunty/Australia or even after they've died and others are quoting their work. 

Then there's Crikey, and others who work independently. And others who began working back in the old UK days of Oz. 

Too many are retiring or dying, literally. This gives some the added credibility to slam harder. But it's easier to be ignored and buried. 

There are many many more.

Go back to the Balibo 5, for starters. Learn about some real covering up.

(I was working in daily press then, graveyard shifts, and mentoring university press, with contacts in radio and TV. That was truly 'interesting times'. Some of those Uni students are now our federal and State politicians)

sbenois said:

Yes, because a few days ago (7/19 to be exact) Jimmy Dore has a great set of clips of Romney on the campaign trail claiming that Russia is our number one geopolitical foe, followed by clips of Obama, Biden, HRC, John McCain, Madeline Albright, etc. all making statements to the effect that the cold war is over and the Mittster was living in the past. We wouldn't want to be reminded of that!

https://www.doughtystreet.co.uk/news/article/inter-american-court-of-human-rights-hands-down-seminal-case-on-right-

The Advisory Opinion was requested by the previous government of Ecuador. The decision sets out the legal principles applicable to the case of Julian Assange and sets out the obligations of the current government of Ecuador governing any negotiation regarding Mr Assange’s situation in the Ecuador embassy in London . . . 
In summary, the decision of the Court makes clear that Ecuador cannot return Mr Assange to the British authorities if there is a risk he will be extradited to the United States, which was the basis on which he was granted asylum . . .

Factotum said:

sbenois said:
 Yes, because a few days ago (7/19 to be exact) Jimmy Dore has a great set of clips of Romney on the campaign trail claiming that Russia is our number one geopolitical foe, followed by clips of Obama, Biden, HRC, John McCain, Madeline Albright, etc. all making statements to the effect that the cold war is over and the Mittster was living in the past. We wouldn't want to be reminded of that!

I don't understand, delusional as I am.

Is Russia a foe or not? Should we be nice to them or not?

You guys gotta settle on one story.

(Oh - and it's not possible for Russia to not have been number one in 2012, and maybe things have gotten worse since?)

What were they doing in 2012 that made them number 1?

I betcha Jimmy Dore didn't tell you.

Betcha you can't either.

drummerboy said:

Factotum said:

sbenois said:
You guys gotta settle on one story.

(Oh - and it's not possible for Russia to not have been number one in 2012, and maybe things have gotten worse since?)
What were they doing in 2012 that made them number 1?
I betcha Jimmy Dore didn't tell you.
Betcha you can't either.

Just posted this on a different thread, but in case you don't see that one:

I'm not spending 20 minutes watching a video by a crank (Cohen) for an answer to a simple question.

OK - I gave it 5 minutes and gave up. Cohen is not a serious man. Do you not see how he has his own agenda and spins and spins? The question was the viability of NATO and Cohen is talking about Putin taking on the pensions of the Baltic states.

And it has nothing to do with the questions I asked, so why did you post it?

Read this interview with Cohen.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/interrogation/2017/05/stephen_f_cohen_just_wants_trump_and_putin_to_get_along.html

The man is silly. Relations with Russia right now are worse than during the Bay of Pigs? He's a clown.  The most serious threat to the U.S. right now is the Russia investigation? And for any serious academic to maintain that Trump meeting with Putin could possibly yield positive results is monumentally dumb. Hell, it's been a week, and no one in the U.S. knows what their two hour meeting was about yet.

Yeah, let's send Trump on more summits. He's so gooooood at it.

Cohen has spent his life studying Russia.  You get all your news from CNN. 

He seemed condescending to the host and somewhat senile.  And studying something isn't the same as living it like Kasparov, who has a more, shall we say, reality-based view.

nan said:
Cohen has spent his life studying Russia.  You get all your news from CNN. 

I'm sorry that you are unable to see that he's a blowhard.

Also, I make specific points about his views, and your response is an appeal to authority, rather than addressing my points.

We do need to work with Russia and other adversaries.  Unfortunately, absolutely nobody is putting forth a vision of what working with Russia might look like.  It could be that we have to remain in confrontation until Putin leaves office and then see what happens.  Russia and the U.S. will always have areas of disagreement, but Putin is a product of the Cold  War and sees the world that way.  The next leader might be a bit different.

tjohn said:
We do need to work with Russia and other adversaries.  Unfortunately, absolutely nobody is putting forth a vision of what working with Russia might look like.  It could be that we have to remain in confrontation until Putin leaves office and then see what happens.  Russia and the U.S. will always have areas of disagreement, but Putin is a product of the Cold  War and sees the world that way.  The next leader might be a bit different.

I would have no problem if a competent administration wanted to work with Russia. But we don't have that at this time - which means that any interaction will probably just make things worse.

sbenois said:
I hope he is executed.

. . . and all the liberals who gave him money

tjohn said:

Here's a fairly detailed article on Putin's strategy to minimize Iran's role in Syria with the ultimate goal of "protecting Israel," a point that was alluded to by Trump in Helsinki:

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/07/russia-syria-helsniki-summit-israel-iran-us.html

paulsurovell said:

tjohn said:
 Here's a fairly detailed article on Putin's strategy to minimize Iran's role in Syria with the ultimate goal of "protecting Israel," a point that was alluded to by Trump in Helsinki:
https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/07/russia-syria-helsniki-summit-israel-iran-us.html

Well, I guess it's a good thing that Netanyahu and Putin are talking.  War between Syria and Israel to curtail Iran is not in Russia's interests.

Although more than a little of Trump's bombast starts with a kernel of logic (e.g., we should be talking to Russia), he doesn't build on that in any sort of coherent way.  So, spare me the defense of Trump.

paulsurovell said:

sbenois said:
I hope he is executed.

nah.  just Assange.  thanks anyway

dave said:
He seemed condescending to the host and somewhat senile.  And studying something isn't the same as living it like Kasparov, who has a more, shall we say, reality-based view.

He's not senile--that's an ageist remark.  He's an American scholar and professor emeritus of Russian studies at Princeton University and New York University.  He's spent plenty of time in Russia, has written numerous books and a friend of Gorbachev. He' knows reality. Kasparov is a pissed off neocon chess player.  

sbenois said:

paulsurovell said:

sbenois said:
I hope he is executed.

nah.  just Assange.  thanks anyway

Right, let's assassinate our generation's Daniel Ellsberg.  Great idea.  

drummerboy said:

Factotum said:

Easy! When Mitt Romney is the Republican candidate for President Russia is our enemy. When Donald Trump is the Republican President Russia is our friend.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.