Julian Assange Being Turned over to UK????

LOST said:

drummerboy said:

Factotum said:

Yes, because a few days ago (7/19 to be exact) Jimmy Dore has a great set of clips of Romney on the campaign trail claiming that Russia is our number one geopolitical foe, followed by clips of Obama, Biden, HRC, John McCain, Madeline Albright, etc. all making statements to the effect that the cold war is over and the Mittster was living in the past. We wouldn't want to be reminded of that!
 I don't understand, delusional as I am.
Is Russia a foe or not? Should we be nice to them or not?
Easy! When Mitt Romney is the Republican candidate for President Russia is our enemy. When Donald Trump is the Republican President Russia is our friend.

Russia was also Obama's friend.  He famously told Romney, "The 80's called.  They want their foreign policy back."  

I delelted my post because I think I misunderstood Nan's.

LOST said:
I make a joke about Republicans and you come back with a criticism of Obama. 
Think about it.

I did not know it was a joke, and that's not a criticism.  I agree with him on that. 

nan said:

LOST said:
I make a joke about Republicans and you come back with a criticism of Obama. 
Think about it.
 I did not know it was a joke, and that's not a criticism.  I agree with him on that. 

Yeah, I got confused. Senior moment. oh oh 

recent tweet from Wikileaks.

Discuss

Assange is cut off from all communication now, so someone else is sending this.  

I hope Mueller flies out to visit Assange (while he's in a UK prison for skipping bail) for a nice, long interview. 

nan said:
Assange is cut off from all communication now, so someone else is sending this.  

LOL

dave said:
I hope Mueller flies out to visit Assange (while he's in a UK prison for skipping bail) for a nice, long interview. 

Sure then he can testify as to what he said because Muller is such a well known truth teller:

A million people died because of this lie, but let's get that horrible Julian Assange who revealed war crimes.  

Wow, there are many people here who have ripped up their "Love Trumps Hate" t-shirts and used them to clean their guns!

nan said:

Right, let's assassinate our generation's Daniel Ellsberg.  Great idea.  

Daniel Ellsberg was ready to face the legal consequences. I think that’s an important distinction, because stakes like that tend to clarify one’s judgment of whether an action is worth taking.

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

Daniel Ellsberg was ready to face the legal consequences. I think that’s an important distinction, because stakes like that tend to clarify one’s judgment of whether an action is worth taking.

Anyone who does this has to be ready to face legal consequences. It comes with the job.

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

Good time to revisit Daniel Ellsberg's recent support for Assange:

Starting at about 32:23:

"Julian, I support you, I love you"

sbenois said:
I hope he is executed.

. . . and all the treasonous liberals who hide behind the First Amendment and free press and give money to this treasonous organization:

NEW YORK — The U.N. Working Group on Arbitrary Detention has reportedly concluded that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arbitrarily detained. An official announcement is expected Friday morning in Geneva.
Anthony D. Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, had this reaction:
“In light of this decision, it’s clear that any criminal charges against Mr. Assange in connection with Wikileaks’ publishing operations would be unprecedented and unconstitutional. Indeed, even the prolonged criminal investigation of Wikileaks itself has had a profound chilling effect. The Justice Department should end that investigation and make clear that no publisher will ever be prosecuted for the act of journalism.”
https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-statement-un-panel-finding-julian-assange

nan said:

Anyone who does this has to be ready to face legal consequences. It comes with the job.

Anyone who does all he can to escape the legal consequences is not ready.

paulsurovell said:

I saw this when it was revisited two days ago. It’s possible that if someone asked Ellsberg his thoughts on this particular point — how do you compare your decision to surrender with Assange’s (or Snowden’s) efforts to avoid arrest? — there may be some disagreement between us. As you know, that sometimes happens even with individuals we respect.

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

Anyone who does all he can to escape the legal consequences is not ready.
paulsurovell said:

I saw this when it was revisited two days ago. It’s possible that if someone asked Ellsberg his thoughts on this particular point — how do you compare your decision to surrender with Assange’s (or Snowden’s) efforts to avoid arrest? — there may be some disagreement between us. As you know, that sometimes happens even with individuals we respect.

Ellsberg doesn't think Assange should be arrested.

paulsurovell said:
Ellsberg doesn't think Assange should be arrested.

I gathered that. Did he think he himself should’ve been arrested? My guess is no, yet he turned himself in. Exploring that decision in light of the decisions Assange made would be the gist of my question.

sbenois said:
I hope he is executed.

. . . and this traitorous lawyer of the traitorous NY Times:

https://www.courthousenews.com/judges-hear-warning-on-prosecution-of-wikileaks/

Judges Hear Warning on Prosecution of WikiLeaks
July 24, 2018 MARIA DINZEO
ANAHEIM, Calif. (CN) – Prosecuting WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for publishing leaked documents related to the 2016 presidential election would set a terrible precedent for journalists, the top lawyer for The New York Times said Tuesday.
Addressing a room full of federal and circuit judges at the Ninth Circuit’s annual judicial conference, David McCraw, the deputy general counsel for The New York Times, explained that regardless of how one feels about Assange and traditional news outlets receiving the same kind of deference over publishing leaked materials, his prosecution would be a gut punch to free speech.
“I think the prosecution of him would be a very, very bad precedent for publishers,” McCraw said. “From that incident, from everything I know, he’s sort of in a classic publisher’s position and I think the law would have a very hard time drawing a distinction between The New York Times and WikiLeaks.”
McCraw went on to clarify that while Assange employs certain methods that he finds discomfiting and irresponsible, such as dumping unredacted documents revealing the personal information of ordinary people, Assange should be afforded the same protections as a traditional journalist.
“Do I wish journalism was practiced in a certain way, like it is with The New York Times, The Washington Post, or The Wall Street Journal? Of course. But I also think new ways of publishing have their value. Our colleagues who are not only challenging us financially but journalistically have raised an awareness that there are different ways to report,” McCraw said.
“But if someone is in the business of publishing information, I think that whatever privilege happens to apply – whatever extension of the law that would apply – should be there. Because the question isn’t whether he’s a journalist. It’s in that instance was he committing an act of journalism.”
[ . . . ]

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

Is this the "Unless he's willing to be like Jesus on the cross" I'm not supporting him?  Cause that is what it sounds like. This is not a Christian crusade.  Has it occurred to you that the man has provided a valuable service to the American people and that arresting him will put an end to Wikileaks.  He should be avoiding arrest because he has work to do.

The ACLU supports him and I was told on MOL that I should be supporting the ACLU instead of arguing on-line.  So looks like I'm doing both now!

Just to clarify:  I think Assange should be arrested to face sexual assault charges. 

I think the hacking charges and the media dumps discredit Assange and lower his credibility, making him just another Fox or Palmer Report level conspiracy theorist. So I take most of what he says now as biased and unreliable.  I assume that he is distributing documents selectively.  But I do not think it all necessarily rises to the level of criminal, or at least any more criminal than any other hack and dump.  It would be interesting to find out, though, if he did try to influence a US election, how that might conflict with the laws regarding foreign nationals intervening in our elections.

nohero said:

max_weisenfeld said:
Also, regarding the Swedish charges, whether they rise to any definition of rape or not, why are some on this board so quick to dismiss them, even make the counter charge that they were "political in nature?"  

What happened to listening to women's voices?
 #metooButnotforyou

Because the far left is JUST as hypocritical as the right in overlooking, or finding excuses for, anything it's white male 'heroes' do that doesn't fit the mythology.

"

"Nor does this mean Sweden believes him to be innocent.

“I can conclude, based on the evidence, that probable cause for this crime still exists,” Marianne Ny, the lead prosecutor in Sweden, told reporters today.

The case revolves around accusations from two women leveled against Assange back in 2010 in Sweden. In both cases, the women say the sex began as consensual but when they wanted to stop, it became forced. And in at least one of the cases, the accuser saw her identity tarnished as a result of stepping forward.

But the Swedish lead prosecutors believe the investigation has been completely stymied by Assange’s continued protection by Ecuador. Ny vowed to reopen prosecution — but only if Assange shows up in Sweden before 2020, when the statue of limitations runs out on the case. That’s unlikely to happen.

A lawyer for one of the alleged victims called the dropped charges a “scandal” — and the accuser herself is reportedly “shocked” by the decision."

nan said:

Is this the "Unless he's willing to be like Jesus on the cross" I'm not supporting him?  Cause that is what it sounds like. 

No, it’s “If you’re going to put Assange up there with Ellsberg, there’s a difference between them that I don’t think should be overlooked, for the reason I gave.” That’s what I was hoping it sounded like.

Ellsberg took a great risk, paid a great price and has been vindicated by subsequent revelations.  Assange is in the same position and perhaps, in time, he will be hailed as a hero. Or maybe he will be revealed to be a narcissistic little weasel enjoying his fifteen minutes of fame.

tjohn said:
Ellsberg took a great risk, paid a great price and has been vindicated by subsequent revelations.  Assange is in the same position and perhaps, in time, he will be hailed as a hero. Or maybe he will be revealed to be a narcissistic little weasel enjoying his fifteen minutes of fame.

He's already hailed as a hero for his war revelations. Perhaps someday, some Democrats can see that exposing their corruption was a good thing too. 

Paul posted about the New York Times starting to come around.  Here is another link about how their number #No. 2 lawyer said prosecuting Assange would be a "gut punch to free speech."  Oh, and they now consider Assange to be a journalist as well.  

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/07/25/the-gray-lady-thinks-twice-about-assanges-prosecution/

nan said:

Paul posted about the New York Times starting to come around.  Here is another link about how their number #No. 2 lawyer said prosecuting Assange would be a "gut punch to free speech."  

It’s the same lawyer (and quote) in both articles.

Regardless of any of those allegations and deliberations, in any country, whenever he returns to Australia he will be immediately arrested and sentenced to minimum of 20 years jail for his Wikileaks work. The new legislation that I mentioned elsewhere is retrospective. He has no defence under this legislation, and can no longer set foot in Australia or in any country with which we have an extradition agreement. 

So, according to nan, journalism is already dead. 

Of course Assange is unwilling to face the US "justice" system: deeming people enemy combatants, Guantanamo, renditions, black sites, inappropriate use of the Espianage Act (thanks Obama), etc. were not the norm when Ellsberg blew his whistle. The "justice" he might receive is evident in this thread by the many here that have already played judge, jury and executioner.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.