Kismet's Life in Maine

Portland was more fun in the '80's. There were funky shops and restaurants and an art theater. Stores are now more upscale, Art movie house closed down.

Still, the waterfront is fun and the harbor cruises are good. Regarding the harbor cruises, on a few clear days, you can see Mt. Washington. On July 4, you can reserve a harbor cruise to see fireworks from the harbor.

Off to the dump today, well off to the transfer station as it's called up here. Recycling is great here. not only do we have deposits on bottles, etc so folks return them to "redemption centers" to get $ back but we also recycle newspapers and magazines, cardboard, all other paper, all cans, all plastics, all glass..I'm probably forgetting something. Makes for a light trash bag to take out (except for the cat litter oh oh )

I'm jealous you are in maine year-round grin

Two favorite places in Maine:

Castine, Me View of lighthouse from the Bagaduce/Penobscot Bay

and

view from Sargent MT in Acadia

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/uploads/FileUpload/09/803d5bd9e4745a861b6286e89bd0c2.jpg

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/uploads/FileUpload/40/ef757eef06f020a848275193baad37.jpg

today - warm and very windy, temperature is going to drop and a cold week in store

14 degrees out there with a light dusting of snow...very pretty but brrrr!

Have to tell you........it is wicked cold here in Maplewood right now. Strong wind also magnifies the cold.

I was going to write on the glories of a good lobster roll but my fingers are barely functioning. Maybe tomorrow.

There is some debate about what is the best lobster roll. I am in the "purest" camp - lobster meat with just enough mayo to moisten in a split top(hard to find in NJ!) hotdog roll that has been spread with butter and toasted(on the outside- both sides) and that is it! Yum...(especially with a cold beer ) oh oh

Fingers thawing out finally. I remember about 30 years ago stopping at a small roadside restaurant and having my first lobster roll.

Mon Dieu .........how could I have gone my whole life and never experienced this delicious treat? Well actually I was just being introduced to Maine and I don't think lobster rolls had made there way down to Jersey in great numbers.

For those who like lobster, but don't care for the wrestling match of cracking open the lobster and drawing out the meat.............this is the way to go. I agree with Kismet about the ideal form of lobster roll. I have mentioned that Red's in Wiscasset is my favorite and I know that Kismet, who is fortunate enough to be in Maine has her own favorite. There is I think a certain unspoken standard and just about any restaurant or road side stand will serve the customer a satisfying treat. And this is not to mention lobster bisque soup or the occasional double lobster and one time triple lobster per person dinner I enjoyed just North of Damariscotta ..........Life is good.

When I was a kid, my grandparents' friends lived on Prout's Neck. All the kids would ride our bikes out to the highway, to the lobster shanty. There, I was introduced to the exquisite joy of fresh lobster rolls---it was just as you described, Kismet---except I believe there was celery in it. We bought the lobster rolls because they were 25¢ , half the price of a hot dog. For 50¢, we had a lobster roll,a coke and a bag of chips.

Let us not forget the sweet (and close rival to the lobster roll) and delicious crab-meat roll. Also, the wonderful tiny Maine shrimp (harvest going on now).

Bob's Crab Shack on Rt 1 in Kittery.

Actually, the summer McLobsters aren't that bad.

True, although it just doesn't seem right somehow ....but wouldn't we kill for them in NJ? oh oh

BTW, the tiny shrimp of which I speak define the word delectable.

And the experience of sitting on the docks as the lobster boats come in...............and unload their catch at Shaw's and probably many, man many more restaurants along the coast . Pick out your lobster from the lobster pot...........go inside to order your fries or onion rings and beer or soft drinks. Hearing your number called and 20 minutes or so later carrying your tray back outside and enjoying the salt air and cracking open the lobsters.......or having your wife who is much better at it do it for you.........each time swearing that it is the last she will ever do.....you really have to learn to do it yourself.

I have a somewhat similar experience in another part of the world but let me tell you .........there ain't nothing like it.

Nothing like it!!!!!

Currently 3 degrees. The "sea smoke" is just beautiful.

Definitely LL Bean weather..........

Never heard of 'sea smoke' before, but Rick saw it today and tried to photograph it. Unfortunately he wasn't able to catch it.

Yes, I tried too. wasn't willing to walk down to the water in 3 degrees though (wimp!). The white stuff is the smoke (actually steam as the water is warmer than the frigid air) - when the wind picked up it swirled around- very beautiful

this is a post from a FB page(Born and Raised in Maine) that shows just what sea smoke looks like

That's neat. Is it also a product of fog?

Totally different I believe but similar

I'm guessing fog originates in the atmosphere and this phenomena originates in the water.

BTW, closed on our house here today -wow, we own a home in Maine!

woo-hooo! Blessings on your new home, Kismet! Much happiness and good health for you under that roof!

Oh thank you calliope, a long term dream come true...

"Totally different I believe but similar"...OK that's a silly statement..thanks for clarifying Calli

The contractor will start work on insulating the basement at the new house tomorrow. Next will be the demo of an unused chimney so a new stairwell to third floor can be added(third floor used to be the second before house was raised in 1880, they took out the stairwell to put full bath on second floor and put in a pull down ladder). The third floor (used to be second) has plenty of room for 2 rooms and full bath.
We are less than a mile from where they chuck pumpkins for Pumpkinfest -http://damariscottapumpkinfest.com/
And across the street from a huge alewives festival - can't wait!!!!!

Congratulations! It sounds wonderful. Maybe you posted this and I missed it, but when will you get to move in?

@sac - probably end of March??

6! Robins on the lawn this morning. Could Spring be arriving early??

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!