Kismet's Life in Maine

@jerseyjack, yes, still going good- some ups and downs but no regrets leaving NJ (don't miss NJ, but really miss "my" people). LOVE mid- coast Maine with all my heart.
My "girls" (bees) are a very cool new diversion....fascinating

So, the girls are drawing comb, flying in laden with pollen - seems like a happy hive. Have a mentor coming on Monday to help me make sure her majesty is safely in residence( I did try to find her or locate eggs but as a new keeper was a bit nervous with first hive opening and did not find her or eggs). Forsythia is finally out as well as star magnolia so they are out and foraging!

This is great to hear about, kismet. I so love the phrase 'A Happy Hive.'

I so love that you are doing this! Photos! we want more photos!

That last post made me smile, Kismet.

Photos to come! I too like the phrase "A Happy Hive"!!

My beekeeping mentor just left and.....YES! It is indeed a happy hive. We found her highness, she's laying eggs, there's larva and capped brood. WooHoo - I am ridiculously happy oh oh

WOW. That's awesome, Kismet. Happy bee keeping!

Photos, please of the happy hive! question question question question

RIP Nibbles...17 wonderful years

Oh, Kismet. So sorry to hear this. LOL

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/05/26/alewife-run-increases-restoration-project/9610779/

That is great! Beautiful and beneficial!

That's very cool, about the alewives. How are the bees doing, Kismet?

Bees are going gang-busters! Queen is laying, there's eggs, workers are making honey...it is so cool. Will try to take photo next time I open the hive (should be this weekend...time for a second deep box). Bees are amazing critters (and so misunderstood...most bad experiences with "stings" are from wasps, not honey bees). They communicate in a fascinating manner (Google "waggling") - their social structure is absolutely an amazing thing in nature....I could go on and on (most beekeepers are a bit gaga about their "girls" oh oh .

lisat said:

sac said:

Maybe you need to find a "sharing" arrangement with someone else who feels the same and you could swap back and forth. One (of many, I'm sure) problems with that is that such a person would likely be a good friend and then you would never be in the same place at the same time.

I have been thinking about this for years, sac, and I like this idea. I would even like owning the two homes and then having another family rent the house we aren't in, but I'm not sure how I would go about advertising that. I guess I could start with facebook. It will confirm to some of my friends that I am nutty.

I own a home in Vermont and do this; I rent out the house at a reduced rate during the year with the understanding that when I want to come up and use it tenants have to vacate. I use most of my time in the summer since I work down here, but it works out well. This winter was so brutal I was really lucky to have someone in the house to look after it, especially when a power line went down!

Gorgeous! I'd love to be there right now.

marcav said:

lisat said:

sac said:

Maybe you need to find a "sharing" arrangement with someone else who feels the same and you could swap back and forth. One (of many, I'm sure) problems with that is that such a person would likely be a good friend and then you would never be in the same place at the same time.

I have been thinking about this for years, sac, and I like this idea. I would even like owning the two homes and then having another family rent the house we aren't in, but I'm not sure how I would go about advertising that. I guess I could start with facebook. It will confirm to some of my friends that I am nutty.

I own a home in Vermont and do this; I rent out the house at a reduced rate during the year with the understanding that when I want to come up and use it tenants have to vacate. I use most of my time in the summer since I work down here, but it works out well. This winter was so brutal I was really lucky to have someone in the house to look after it, especially when a power line went down!

I've wondered if something like that would be possible. Is it hard to find a tenant who can do that? I guess they go live in mom's basement or something?

Beautiful, Kismet. That peony is very unusual, both the color and the petal structure. I love it.

Enjoy your lovely Maine summer. oh oh

Nothing like it in the world. Heaven on earth.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.