Kismet's Life in Maine

if you only have a few days to spare.............nice place just a short walk to the lighthouse. I have no financial interest in the hotel.............wish I did.

http://www.hotelpemaquid.com/

Oooooo, how beautiful!

PeggyC..........the full picture merits a "double sigh".

The Lighthouse itself is quite picturesque, but it is the rocks that run down from the Lighthouse that are absolutely grand. The ocean waters crash into them in a most dramatic way.

Hope I can publish this..........

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mgs/explore/bedrock/sites/jul02.pdf

Hey all! Fall is approaching...summer was good. We had 8 groups of visitors to show off mid-coat Maine to- all enjoyed (how could they not?). Must say, no regrets re the move at all (other than missing people-heart folks know who they are-and we had the best neighborhood and neighbors in SO). As the saying goes "Life the way it should be"...YES.
Hasn't all been roses (family stuff, medical stuff) but living here is wonderful.
If you have not explored mid- coast Maine, you may want to think about it (hey! I'm not the only one right @Lisat?

kismet said:

Hey all! Fall is approaching...summer was good. We had 8 groups of visitors to show off mid-coat Maine to- all enjoyed (how could they not?). Must say, no regrets re the move at all (other than missing people-heart folks know who they are-and we had the best neighborhood and neighbors in SO). As the saying goes "Life the way it should be"...YES.
Hasn't all been roses (family stuff, medical stuff) but living here is wonderful.
If you have not explored mid- coast Maine, you may want to think about it (hey! I'm not the only one right @Lisat?

That's right!

I believe you, yet I fear the coming of winter this year as I have never feared anything else in my life.

Peggy...........

"Fear knocked on the door
Faith answered
And there was no one there"

I don't think that applies to atmospheric conditions, Author. wink

I keep things simple in my life. I managed to avoid high school physics after watching a few bright friends who were ahead of me in school attaching rubber balls to string and trying to write some kind of scientific theorem with what ever information they obtained.

When I was drafted into the Armed Services I did so poorly on the spacial relationship tests an officer told me he would have thought I was trying to avoid slogging through the swamps of South East Asia.......except I did way above average on the math and science part of the test.

If this typewriter had the proper keys I could do this in Greek............but English it must be

Nikos Kazantzakis.....................Zorba the Greek

I want nothing
I fear nothing
I am free................Covers the bases for me.. Winter weather, I bite it off and spit it out.
And then I put on my fuzzy slippers till the snow melts.

I so agree with you author. I think it comes from me being submissive in my elder years. And learning to believe life is good no matter what it throws at me. This too shall pass. And the best of all, no expectations, no disappointments.

Of course, I AM living in Florida now, so who am I to judge. blank stare

fuzzy slippers rock (not to mention flannel sheets)!

All that would work so well for me if someone else would deliver groceries (no, there is no such service here) and if my husband didn't think I ought to use the snowblower on our 100-foot, steeply inclined driveway on days when he's working and it snows while he is out.

Yeah, I'm grumpy. Sorry.

But on the "up" side, I just finished washing a new flannel duvet cover in a warm, toasty, dark red plaid to go on the goose down comforter for my light pine wood, fourposter bed. smile

Can you call in the groceries and have some one pick them up for you? Do you have a neighbor teen that could do the snow blowing for you? Think outside of the box, there might be a way.

Peggy........I have an elderly Uncle. He is my mom's youngest brother. He has a gorgeous house on top of a hill in Central Pennsylvania. Probably has over a half acre of property .....mostly level.

He checked the cost of lawn care services for the warm weather, grass growing season.
It was just out of sight. So he did a clever thing. He bought a rider mower off season and on sale.
Then he hires a local teen for $10.00 an hour to take care of grass cutting all season. Since he has been there a few years the original cost of the mower has been absorbed and he has peace of mind all Spring and Summer. Priceless.

There comes a time when we just have to recognize that we can not do what we did easily 10 years ago.
Some people might be rugged individualists............but I know Cardiac Rehab sessions notwithstanding
I will probably never pick up a snow shovel or do any serious lawn work again.

And the other side of the coin is.........we have paid our dues and earned a break from the drudgery of those chores.

Believe me...........stay away from the companies that provide the services and spend a few hours working through the high school counselors......place notices on Supermarket bulletin boards etc.

There are plenty of young strong kids that are happy to work for $10.00 cash.

I would invite you to post on the real Maplewood Community Bulletin Board...........we have power and abilities far beyond those of most boards..........but I think you are now a bit too far away.

Good luck.

I can't get this to come out right side up! It's winter trees, January, 2014, Eastham, Cape Cod MA. It was right after a blizzard.

@kismet I hope that's not a current picture in your neck of the woods!

@alice31 - that's gorgeous
@annieBB - no, from last winter although I did hear the S word on the weather report this morning..."possibility of wet snow on Saturday"...ack!

Thanks, Kismet. It's from last January on Cape Cod.

Winter arrived a bit early...6-10 inches with 35-50 mph gusts in the forecast

Yeah, I heard Maine was going to get snow... I hope the winds have slowed down and that clearing the white stuff isn't too painful. We lost our power here in CT for about an hour this morning because of the high gusts. But I'm glad the wind helped blow a lot of leaves off the lawn and into the woods. oh oh

Hit Maine hard...180,000 without power at one point. Lots of tree damage. We have a generator so no problem there BUT internet was out until last night (since Sunday!)...really hate to admit I missed it.

Ouch. So sorry the winter's getting off to such a bad start for you! But I'm very glad you have a generator. We are considering one again, after last winter. We got so lucky last year, never losing power in any of the multiple storms. This year, I think if there are bad storms, our number is up. LOL

Our town is served by two wind turbines. Electricity, provided locally, is about $50.00 per month, no matter how much we use. It blinked a couple times but never went out. Nearby Hingham and Cohasset had a few blackouts, but nothing really severe.

We only got 1 inch mercifully in Portland area.

Don't know if any of you out there are into Food Network (my secret obsession...rarely watch TV but when I do....) - hubby got us tickets to Alton Brown Live for my birthday (birthday in Aug, show was last night). 3rd row AND a preshow meet and greet. It was GREAT. Alton is charming in person (now have his autograph on a few things) and we have photos of us with him. The 2 1/2 hour show was ridiculously funny, informative, musical (yes, he also plays guitar and sings - nice voice)....just a wonderful evening. Silly I know but was more excited for this than a rock concert (must be getting old).

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!