Living Room Furniture Arrangement (was Interior decorator on a budget)

I hear you. I get very itchy when I look at furniture prices, and Pottery Barn is certainly not the lowest price point out there. Beyond that, I have not been terribly happy with some of their wood furniture (dining room table comes to mind). But we recently bought two easy chairs from them when they were clearing floor models, and this couch is the icing on the cake. I think their upholstery might be better than the wood pieces... fingers crossed that I still feel that way in a year!

We bought a sofa from Macy's about 4 years ago in a micro fiber suede type of fabric. We had to wait five weeks as well for delivery since we did not go with the standard gray color but have been pleased at how it is holding up so far under daily abuse from 2 kids and a dog. The fabric is honestly amazingly easy to clean. Just a cloth and water will get out almost any stain (maybe not red wine but we drink that in the kitchen!). We got it on sale (Macy's is ALWAYS having a sale of some kind!) and were happy with the price. We looked very seriously at Bassett but the style and fabric that we wanted was out of our price range at the time. Good luck! There are a lot of furniture sales going on right now with the upcoming holiday so it is a great time of year to buy!

I was watching tv and saw this sofa. I can't speak to the quality, but itis only $450. http://www.mybobs.com/living-room-furniture/collections/colby/colby-sofa-24062

@cupoftea thanks...really good to know about the fabric. Macy's actually has a modelwe like (and even the right color!) but I was concerned about the fabric. How does it do with dog hair? Easy to vaccuum?

PetuniaBird said:
I was watching tv and saw this sofa. I can't speak to the quality, but itis only $450. http://www.mybobs.com/living-room-furniture/collections/colby/colby-sofa-24062

Thanks!! We actually looked at that one and really wanted to like it, but the color is pretty light in person and wouldn't match well with our existing chairs. Grrr!!

Beagle hair vacuums up just fine!

cupoftea said:
Beagle hair vacuums up just fine!

Well that's exactly the type we have! oh oh Great. I think it may help if I widen the search to include microfiber.

This is the sofa we bought but we just got one small section and a chaise.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/elliot-fabric-microfiber-2-piece-sectional-sofa?ID=522837&CategoryID=29391

Here it is! The color is a dark coffee brown.

I've been looking just for tan because I'm trying to match our existing chairs, but this one just caught my eye from Jennifer Convertibles. It's the right style and fabric, but will it be too dark for our room and for the chairs? Or not the right "tone" to complement the chairs? Hmm....

http://www.jenniferfurniture.com/category/living-room/finley-chocolate-sofa.html

Here's the picture of the chairs again, since that was many pages ago!

My picture doesn't really accurately reflect it but we get quite a bit of light in our house and the walls are a light color as well. I went with brown because it hides dirt and I wanted some contrast but I also know that not everyone likes such a dark sofa. Definitely check it out in person as Browns can vary greatly in tone. Our chair in the room actually appears to be similar in color to yours so it might work. I will post a pic when I am back home.

I would strongly suggest getting swatches of the fabrics you consider so you can hold them up against the existing chairs. I also think maybe it would be smart to try for contrast rather than matching... matching might not be possible, and it might make the room too "one note." At least, according to the PeggyC school of designing. {{embarrassed grin}}

What we did when we were shopping for the new sofa was we took a cushion with us from the chaise we were trying to coordinate with a new fabric when we were shopping. Worked pretty well!

TarheelsInNj said:
I've been looking just for tan because I'm trying to match our existing chairs, but this one just caught my eye from Jennifer Convertibles. It's the right style and fabric, but will it be too dark for our room and for the chairs? Or not the right "tone" to complement the chairs? Hmm....
http://www.jenniferfurniture.com/category/living-room/finley-chocolate-sofa.html

Here's the picture of the chairs again, since that was many pages ago!

STAY AWAY from Jennifer Convertibles. My experience both with the product and the service has been terrible. Years ago, we bought a couch from this company and the middle broke within a the second year. They sent someone out TWICE and they did absolutely NOTHING about fixing the couch.

They are worse than Raymour & F. The couch ended up in the dumpster. Never again.

STAY. AWAY.

Thank you!! That's very good to know!

When I say "match" I really mean complement. It would be almost impossible to exactly match which is why I've stayed away from brown...afraid it may look close-but-not. Swatches are a good idea.

OK, glad to hear it. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to be sure. oh oh

Oooh, this one has promise! Allegedly the back cushions are attached.

http://www.suburbanfurniture.com/item.aspx?itemid=-1539237236&itemnum=7650338

I would definitely stay away from matching the exact chairs. Contrast is in right now and it will add depth to the room. You may want to consider a slight print or pattern which will minimize the differences while still blending. Or you may want to get some pillows that bring both colors (couch and chair) together to transition them.

These are the ones I mentioned earlier. I like the back support on these. We have bought vintage from this store and I really trust their quality.

http://icandigthis.com/custom-sofas/

TarheelsInNj said:
Oooh, this one has promise! Allegedly the back cushions are attached.
http://www.suburbanfurniture.com/item.aspx?itemid=-1539237236&itemnum=7650338

I like the look of that one.

How do you buy a piece of furniture without being able to sit on it and give it a test drive, so to speak?

Give your credit card and pray grin We actually bought our current couch online sight unseen at JC Penney, and it's super comfy. The issues we have with it now are just due to 10 years of dog and kid abuse. We had shopped exhaustively, and didn't have such specific needs then.

That's a big reason I really would like to find one at a brick-and-mortar if possible. I'm particularly concerned about color and fabric.

Our biggest issue with buying furniture is our relative lack of height. I'm 5'4", and Mr. PeggyC is 5'6". That means on a lot of sofas, we are left with acres of space between our backs and the nearest cushion, and our little feet dangle several inches off the floor. So we have to be careful about the measurements of height and depth. Both of us have back issues, so I can't buy the sofas that are all deep down cushions for me to wallow in. *sigh*

Sad to say, our beloved new Pottery Barn sofa is a lot taller than we expected! We sat on the one in the store, but didn't realize quite how many other people had sat on it before us, so the cushions were a lot flatter than the ones on our own sofa. So, for now, our feet are dangling, but I'm sure the cushions on this one will collapse a bit soon, and our feet will meet the floor again.

Sheesh. So many things to consider!

Very nice. Where did you get it? Macy's? And I see it was 30% off. Awesome shopping. smile

PeggyC said:
Very nice. Where did you get it? Macy's? And I see it was 30% off. Awesome shopping. smile

Nope, it was at Suburban Furniture in Randolph, the place I linked above (though a different model). When I saw it I actually out loud said "thank goodness!" LOL. Unfortunately it won't come for 4-5 weeks but at this point I'm just DONE shopping.

It was 30% off AND tax and delivery were included at no extra charge!

I've never been in and out of a furniture store so quickly. Saw it, bought it, and got back in my car in about 15 minutes.

15 minutes! That is great

15 minutes! That is great

After all the research you've put into it already, you knew the right one when you saw it. No need to linger.

The dog is in mourning over the loss of her couch

That certainly does look comfortable. And with attached cushions on the new sofa, she won't be able to do that any more. I think you are very inconsiderate not to take her needs into account.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was in the Pets & Animals category. smile

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!