Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

The outs are plastered everywhere and yet this happens pretty regularly. Guillorme on the Mets last night went to turn a DP last night when they had two outs. He threw it to first and the announcers said,"He got the 4th out." 

Think Reds fans are having fun?

I told a pro-Mets colleague at work on Thursday not to worry: Whatever ails the Mets, the Phillies lately have had the cure. But those miscues on Friday and today were more than even the Phillies could undercome.

Still, what’s that — the first Phillies series win against the Mets out of the last eight?

I think the Phils need another lefty that takes called 3rd strikes and can't play a position. Vogelbach for anything? 

jfinnegan said:

I think the Phils need another lefty that takes called 3rd strikes and can't play a position. Vogelbach for anything? 

DaveSchmidt said:

maybe the Phanatic's scooter to get the pitchers in and out of the game quicker.

Last 22 games:

Phillies 17-5.

Braves 19-3.

Sheesh.

ETA: Marlins 16-6.

Oh, and a Yankee threw a perfect game.

Thanks for omitting the Mets.  Yeuff.

DanDietrich said:

Thanks for omitting the Mets. Yeuff.

The Braves (3-0) and Phillies (2-1) couldn’t have done it without them.

What weird schedules this balanced era has wrought. The Mets were 5-2 against the Marlins through April 9 — and don’t play them again until Sept. 18. The Mets have played nine more road games than home games, and the Phillies have played 10. (A Citizens Bank Park rainout is 1 percent to blame.) I didn’t check how the Mets will make them up, but the Phillies have an August with 19 games at home and only eight on the road.

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

Figured some of you might be interested in this, especially Phillies fans today. I can't think of somebody that played for the Phillies and Rays.

jfinnegan said:

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

Figured some of you might be interested in this, especially Phillies fans today. I can't think of somebody that played for the Phillies and Rays.

Without cheating, I’d guess Jose Alvarado, but I can never remember if he was the Ray or Jose Alvarez was. If it’s Alvarado, he’s the rare pitcher the Rays couldn’t fix and the Phillies could.

Thanks, I’ll try my hand at the grid later. Not hopeful: When I subscribed to Baseball Digest, my son would always need to give me tons of clues when testing me on the trivia quiz.

DaveSchmidt said:

Without cheating, I’d guess Jose Alvarado, but I can never remember if he was the Ray or Jose Alvarez was. If it’s Alvarado, he’s the rare pitcher the Rays couldn’t fix and the Phillies could.

Thanks, I’ll try my hand at the grid later. Not hopeful: When I subscribed to Baseball Digest, my son would always need to give me tons of clues when testing me on the trivia quiz.

Alvarado's a good one! I didn't think of him. I picked a guy that the Rays fixed after many years of him having potential with the Phils. 

jfinnegan said:

Alvarado's a good one! I didn't think of him. I picked a guy that the Rays fixed after many years of him having potential with the Phils.

Rather than risk Alvarado/Alvarez confusion, I guessed the SS who got the Phillies a hot prospect named Bobby Abreu in a three-team trade.

Took me a while to get the hang of the game. Blew too many guesses on the Tigers ROY.

jfinnegan said:

I picked a guy that the Rays fixed after many years of him having potential with the Phils.

Doh. If history holds, he’ll be injured any week now. Not that I wish that on him, and not that that was why the Phillies couldn’t fix him. For a couple of seasons, poor coaching encouraged him to pitch up in the zone, against his strength.

He did a commendable job in the playoff run last season.

He would look great in some games and then fall apart. Their lack of D didn't help him either. You'll get it next time! I almost blew it on the Tigers ROY. It took Trammell a couple of years to start going. My favorite DP tandem growing up. 

jfinnegan said:

He would look great in some games and then fall apart. Their lack of D didn't help him either. You'll get it next time! I almost blew it on the Tigers ROY. It took Trammell a couple of years to start going. My favorite DP tandem growing up.

I guessed Kaline and then Trammell, before alighting on The Bird.

(Phillies with 40-plus homers — so hard to choose!)

I had no problem with the achievements for a team, 5-for-5.

Multiple teams, forget it. 0-for-4.

jimmurphy said:

I had no problem with the achievements for a team, 5-for-5.

Multiple teams, forget it. 0-for-4.

You’ll really hate today’s. I was 6 for 6 until hitting the first column, which pairs the Rockies with three other West teams. (The second column was Pirates and those three West teams; my Pirates/Giants match was a 0.2% rarity.)

Curse you, jfinnegan.

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

(My family celebrates Phillies Dodged a Bullet Day.)

Yesterday’s Immaculate Grid led to an epiphany. I mentioned my 0.2% Pirate/Giant to my son and hypothesized that its rarity spoke to a generation gap, because when I was a kid Matty Alou was pretty famously a veteran of both teams. My son replied, “Well, you know who 99% were guessing.”

Ohhhhh. I hadn’t thought of him at all.

Then there was the Giant who had a 100-plus RBI season. I immediately slotted in the Say Hey Kid, and was disgusted that Immaculate Grid didn’t have a head shot of Willie Mays?

My son: “Well, that is inexcusable, but again …”

Knowing how successfully I’ve erased BB from my consciousness sure feels good.

DaveSchmidt said:

Belatedly, this play. I don’t think any other catcher makes it.

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/video/craig-kimbrel-in-play-out-s-to-nick-madrigal?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

What a play! He's getting up there, but not slowing down, and playing almost everyday.

DaveSchmidt said:

Yesterday’s Immaculate Grid led to an epiphany. I mentioned my 0.2% Pirate/Giant to my son and hypothesized that its rarity spoke to a generation gap, because when I was a kid Matty Alou was pretty famously a veteran of both teams. My son replied, “Well, you know who 99% were guessing.”

Ohhhhh. I hadn’t thought of him at all.

Then there was the Giant who had a 100-plus RBI season. I immediately slotted in the Say Hey Kid, and was disgusted that Immaculate Grid didn’t have a head shot of Willie Mays?

My son: “Well, that is inexcusable, but again …”

Knowing how successfully I’ve erased BB from my consciousness sure feels good.

I forgot to do it yesterday. I have to add it to the Wordle/Spelling Bee rotation. I like when I come up with a random guy and get the 0.2%. I got it with Doug Drabek on the day where you had issues with the Rockies. The one Rockie one was easy for me, because I'll never forget Mike Hampton. I got SF/Col wrong. Had all of the others.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!