Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Given that Matz is really stinking up the joint, Vargas is more needed.

"Asked what Matz has been missing so far, Callaway pointed to “a little conviction.”"  

Actually, what he has been missing so far is the strike zone, not a little conviction!!  He is pitching from behind almost every batter, and he is leaving the ball up high in the strike zone far too often.  He does not have the stuff to do that consistently.

Nice comment by Mickey--expect to see a lot of Wilmer Flores at first base, even against righties.  And expect to see less of Adrian Gonzalez, even against righties.  Mickey says that Wilmer has earned it:

“Yes,” Callaway said, smiling. “He’s going to play. It might be a different position every day or the same position three days in a row. But my goal is to get him starting as much as possible. We’re going to be able to do that because guys need days off. Wilmer deserves to play. And not just against lefties. He can hit a good righthanded pitcher too. He’s going to play.”

What is really interesting is that the name Dominic Smith did not even turn up in various articles on this.  Even before he pulled a quad he was stinking up the joint.  While Gonzalez also has been over-matched all Spring as a former star he can do this and still go north with the big club; a 22 year old with only 49 MLB games goes to Las Vegas and tries to prove he can make it.

mfpark said:

Nice comment by Mickey--expect to see a lot of Wilmer Flores at first base, even against righties.  And expect to see less of Adrian Gonzalez, even against righties.  Mickey says that Wilmer has earned it:

“Yes,” Callaway said, smiling. “He’s going to play. It might be a different position every day or the same position three days in a row. But my goal is to get him starting as much as possible. We’re going to be able to do that because guys need days off. Wilmer deserves to play. And not just against lefties. He can hit a good righthanded pitcher too. He’s going to play.”

What is really interesting is that the name Dominic Smith did not even turn up in various articles on this.  Even before he pulled a quad he was stinking up the joint.  While Gonzalez also has been over-matched all Spring as a former star he can do this and still go north with the big club; a 22 year old with only 49 MLB games goes to Las Vegas and tries to prove he can make it.

Dominic Smith. The Invisible Man! Here's my beef... We've been hearing about this guy for a couple of years. He gets here and there are "behavioral issues". This never came up before. If it did was it dealt with? 

The Mets are fun to watch today.  

Nice to see them moving the much talked about line with lots of hits.  Fun to watch.

FilmCarp said:

The Mets are fun to watch today.  

Nice opening day, love seeing lots of 2-out RBI as well. 

and it didn't snow

Not for Mets fans only, but I think they might find this Onion article as funny as the Phillies fans in my family did:

MLB Season Ends 200 Days Early After New Rules Speed Up Games Way Too Much

Missing 70 games in the bathroom.  Hilarious.

At this pace, the Mets will strike out 2187 batters this season and go 162-0.   I am ready!

FilmCarp said:

At this pace, the Mets will strike out 2187 batters this season and go 162-0.   I am ready!

Currently statistically possible!

I'd be happy with 4-5 runs per game.

undefeated, unlike the Yanks

so far the most encouraging news is that A-Gon appears to be healthy again.  I was concerned that 1B would be a black hole this season.  Flores could have taken over and hit decently, but the idea of him fielding that position was scary.

The other is that the bullpen has been pretty good so far.  I guess the next two games will give us a better indication of where Matz and Harvey are in their rehab status.

I think that oblique strain yesterday may be a problem for the bullpen, but I agree that Matz and Harvey are the big questions.  Especially Matz.

I think that oblique strain yesterday may be a problem for the bullpen, but I agree that Matz and Harvey are the big questions.  Especially Matz.

Dear Mets fans,

Does Citi Field have “bullpens”? If so, what are they used for?

Asking for someone who’ll be arriving tomorrow for a visit.

DaveSchmidt said:

Dear Mets fans,

Does Citi Field have “bullpens”? If so, what are they used for?

Asking for someone who’ll be arriving tomorrow for a visit.

Glass houses, my friend, glass houses.  

FilmCarp said:

Glass houses, my friend, glass houses.  

No stone thrown. And precious few balls tossed, too, alas: The fellow I was asking for wasn’t aware, apparently, that bullpens are for warming up relievers.

I know it is early, both in the game and in the season.  But I just saw Syndegaard strike out a batter on a change-up.  Good to see.  Then again, it was a 90 MPH change-up!  Imagine that -- his off-speed pitch is 0- MPH.  The batter had him timed pretty well up to that point--fouled off some good pitches at 94 MPH.  

Yikes, what a great pitcher he can be!

"Broadcasting" on Facebook is BS.

They just showed a between-innings David Wright highlight reel. Holy crap I miss the old him. Well, the young him. You know what I mean.

Train_of_Thought said:

They just showed a between-innings David Wright highlight reel. Holy crap I miss the old him. Well, the young him. You know what I mean.

Train: You have one Get Out Of Jail Free card for this post... Use it wisely. 

The Commish

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Train: You have one Get Out Of Jail Free card for this post... Use it wisely.  The Commish

I'm tearing up.  question 

Speaking of sad, did anyone watch the "Kid" documentary about Gary Carter they showed on SNY?  It was interesting how candid many of the 86 Mets were about disliking him at the time but there was also a palpable sense of regret and even guilt about those feelings expressed by at least some of the players.  It seems that Carter was a genuinely decent clean living man and that put him at odds with the wild boy partying ways of many of the Mets at the time.  You certainly get the feeling from his three kids that he was a good loving father.

What no one speaketh of the Met's triumph over the Nazionals yesterday?  Jay Bruce grand slam.  Eight runs is four times as many runs as two.  Comforto homers in first game back from injury that was talked about as being possibly career diminishing if not ending.  Let's hear it.

Check the standings.

Shhhhhhhhh!

Shut up.

I mean just...

Like, dude.

Shut up shut up shut up if no one mentions it it might keep going.

You mean we can only post about bad news?  That's not the way this thread has rolled.

mrincredible said:

Shhhhhhhhh!

Shut up.

I mean just...

Like, dude.

Shut up shut up shut up if no one mentions it it might keep going.

It is the fate of Mets fans. As soon as we start celebrating success, it all falls apart. 

If the Mets are on a hot streak, the most you can do is kind of quietly nod at the one other person at the office you know has a Piazza Jersey hanging deep in their closet. Any more exuberance and suddenly tendons start popping and bats cool off. 

Yes, our excitement must be contained or we offend the baseball gods and we start hearing terms like "tail-spin" and "rehabilitation assignment" and the next thing you know Vinny from Long Island City is calling for the manager's head and trading veterans for prospects so we can rebuild.

No, Mets fans must enjoy success in silence. If you dare to verbally acknowledge success YOU (and you alone) are responsible for the 2-14 streak that will invariably arise.

So dude. Be cool. 

blank stare 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!