Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Awesome sauce. When is the last walk off homer for the team?

I think also Flores, in July of lat year.  

best trade the Mets never made. He's turning into their Ben Zobrist. By the time the year is over Flores will likely log time at 1B, 2B, 3B, LF and DH. He'll probably play 130 games without having a regular position. He can flat out hit. 

When do they officially call rain cancellations or delays for tonights game?

No set time. Based upon the judgment of field conditions and the weather outlook. 

im supposed to go the game tonight, ugh!  Even if the infield is covered, the rest of the field could be too soggy to play you think?

These newer grass fields drain pretty efficiently. Since the rain is forecast to move out this afternoon, which would give them time to assess the drainage, it’s probably a decision they can make a few hours in advance.

modern fields drain incredibly well. If it's not raining at game time I would think they will play. 

https://www.sportsfieldmanagementmagazine.com/maintenance/infield-maintenance/digging-into-drainage/

Okay DeGrom is at 88 pitches through 7 and seems to be cruising... do you hand someone else the ball for the 8th?

Top of the order coming up.  Wait and see if they can put another run or two up?

Okay that happened while I was typing my last post.  Let’s see what they can do with a man on third and no outs.

Maybe I should keep posting.  It seems to help.

Kind of a waste of a triple if you’re going to follow it with a homer, no? :-D

I’d like to request a double play here please.

Well that's not what I was hoping for. 

I will still take 12-3.  As someone pointed out on WFAN the other day, with a start like this if the Mets go .500 the rest of the year, they still wind up with 86 wins which might be good enough for a wild card.  I am optimistic this team can do better than that even.

BTW, that Harper broken bat homer was pretty impressive.  But the pitch from deGrom was flat and up in the zone with no movement.  You cannot do that to Bryce Harper this spring.

Obviously its not good that such a dramatic collapse happened vs. the Nats.  But right now its one game and will leave it at that.  

Using 4,5, sometimes 6 pitchers in a game has got to come back and bite you.

Being conservative with the starters can end up being reckless when it comes to the bullpen.

It is one game Mr. Murphy.  One game does not a trend make.

Let's see how the next week or two pans out.

You are correct of course. It is one game, at the beginning of a stretch of games with no off days. We shall see.

Point is to win the war, not each individual battle.

I don't think it was a mistake to pull De Grom.  I want a full, healthy season and it was a cold night.  If your bullpen can't hold a 4 run lead for two innings you have bigger problems.  My biggest concern is always Familia.  I know he has lots of saves.  He always does.  It just seems like he always wobbles, and fails at the worst times.  

When you are a closer there are never many good times to wobble or fail.  Goes with the territory.

You can wobble against the Marlins and Phillies.  Your mistakes won't be jumped on the way the Nationals can jump on them.

20-20 hindsight here, but I still wonder if he should have brought in someone else in the top of the 8th. As I noted in my post last night deGrom had thrown 88 pitches and the way he was pitching in the 7th he still looked really sharp. You could argue that Mickey was getting greedy trying to get an eighth inning out of his starter, but at the same time you could argue it was the right decision and getting the bullpen some rest was more important.

It was a tough loss. I love that they are 12 and 3, and that takes a little of the sting away. But it is a bummer to watch a four-run lead disintegrate that late in the game when everything has been going so well

last night was brutal.  the walks and the HBP were killers.  It was one of those nights where every single little thing had to go wrong to lose.  And pretty much everything did.

Let's see what happens the next couple of games.  It's only one loss, but at the end of the season, I hope we're not looking at finishing one game behind the Nats.  Because this one will be tough to forget if that happens.

Good bounce-back test against NatGio tonight. LGM!

FilmCarp said:
I don't think it was a mistake to pull De Grom.  I want a full, healthy season and it was a cold night.  If your bullpen can't hold a 4 run lead for two innings you have bigger problems.  My biggest concern is always Familia.  I know he has lots of saves.  He always does.  It just seems like he always wobbles, and fails at the worst times.  

You guys are reading something into my comment that I didn't post.  I agree that it was not a mistake to pull DeGrom.  But DeGrom had gone deeper into the game than any of the other starters had before him.

It wasn't a comment about one game, or one loss; it was about overuse of the bullpen.

jimmurphy said:

FilmCarp said: I don't think it was a mistake to pull De Grom.  I want a full, healthy season and it was a cold night.  If your bullpen can't hold a 4 run lead for two innings you have bigger problems.  My biggest concern is always Familia.  I know he has lots of saves.  He always does.  It just seems like he always wobbles, and fails at the worst times.  
 You guys are reading something into my comment that I didn't post.  I agree that it was not a mistake to pull DeGrom.  But DeGrom had gone deeper into the game than any of the other starters had before him. It wasn't a comment about one game, or one loss; it was about overuse of the bullpen.

I was not arguing or disagreeing with you at all.  Just my thoughts.

arg leaving a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs is one of my pet peeves.

Most all time for a rookie manager.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.