Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Train_of_Thought said:
Mets bat out of order in the first, costing them a double. Oy...

Not watching but can’t figure out who was skipped based on the stuff I see online. What was the correct order and how did they screw it up? Who batted in who’s place incorrectly?

Lineup card given to ump had Cabrera 2, Flores 3.  Flores went up 2 and struck out. Cabrera then doubled, and Reds challenged. According to the rule, which has me very confused, Cabrera wiped out and the NEXT batter -- Jay Bruce -- was deemed an out, put in the scorecard by rule as a putout 2, I believe. Bruce looked pretty pissed when it was explained to him and he didn't get to bat.

Thanks. Wonder how they got 2 different lineup cards.

Train_of_Thought said:
Lineup card given to ump had Cabrera 2, Flores 3.  Flores went up 2 and struck out. Cabrera then doubled, and Reds challenged. According to the rule, which has me very confused, Cabrera wiped out and the NEXT batter -- Jay Bruce -- was deemed an out, put in the scorecard by rule as a putout 2, I believe. Bruce looked pretty pissed when it was explained to him and he didn't get to bat.

As I understand it:

Flores’s at-bat counts because the Reds didn’t say anything. Once the Reds appealed, Cabrera’s at-bat is wiped out; it never happened. The next batter up in the correct order, whose plate appearance can’t be wiped out, is then ruled out. 

Sounds like the lineup card brought to the Umps was different than the one posted in the dugout and also emailed to the scoreboard operators.  Mickey ain't saying who brought out the wrong one.

Is Vargas this bad?? It won't surprise me if he's hiding an injury and/or will need to be sent down to work on his repertoire. The dude is horrid. And this lineup is positively anemic. What the heck happened?! 

NotoriousEAM said:
Is Vargas this bad?? It won't surprise me if he's hiding an injury and/or will need to be sent down to work on his repertoire. The dude is horrid. And this lineup is positively anemic. What the heck happened?! 

Reverting to form.  Perhaps the quick start was an aberration, as all true Mets fans feared.

It's my fault (getting it out of the way).

Should be an interesting series this weekend. While you all may be nervous (or worse) about the way the snakebit Mets have been playing and facing Arrieta, a newborn Eflin and, weather permitting, Nola at a ballpark where the Phils are 15-5 and coming off a four-game sweep of the Giants, who had been hot, I’m nervous (or worse) about the Phils’ 7-13 record against the East, a pitching staff without a single lefty and the very real possibility that a comeuppance is overdue.

if the Mets continue to not hit, this series won't be very interesting at all.  In the last 9 games, the Mets have scored 21 runs.  And 7 of those came in one game.  Against perhaps the worst starter in the NL not named Matt Harvey.

Isn't Vargas worse than either Homer Bailey or Harvey? 

Herr Schmidt we all know about comeuppance here.

mrincredible said:
Herr Schmidt we all know about comeuppance here.

6 for 9, 3 runs scored — as I said, overdue.

jfinnegan said:
Isn't Vargas worse than either Homer Bailey or Harvey? 

Vargas missed the first few weeks of the season.  He's got a ways to go to match Bailey or Harvey for terribleness on a consistent basis.

And the not hitting continues. I feel like I've seen this game about 500 times in the past four years.

Saw those coming all the way down Broad Street.

That finish generated a playoff victory level of joy after the disaster of the last few weeks.  Poor Dom Smith, gets called up and loses his one pinch hitting chance because of doofy Reyes getting picked off.

Tiny sample but Harvey pitched 4 scoreless innings.  At least our end of the deal got an insurance homer.

Dear lord can we PLEEEEEEEZE get Jose Reyes off the roster???

We were at the game yesterday.  The clouds parted, the sun came out, and we were sitting about 15 rows up and slightly to the first base side of home plate.  Perfect place to watch Thor dominate, and to hear the thwack of those three homers off their bats.

It was amazing to see how effortlessly Syndegaard throws.  His motion does not look like he is reaching back and throwing hard, but then you see the ball zip down a pipe to the catcher's mitt and look up at the scoreboard to see it was a 98 mph fastball.  His change-ups were around 92 mph. 

Meanwhile, Buckholz rarely hit 89 mph with his fastball, and looked like he was throwing harder on his curve ball than Syndegaard did on his fastball.

Buckholz, just up from the minors, actually pitched well, but the Mets also helped him out a lot.  Other than Rosario, almost no one hit him very hard, even on fly outs.  The Mets were anemic, off-balance, tapping out a lot.  You would think that Buckholz was Greg Maddux from watching them at the plate, and not a 10 year veteran hanging on to the majors by the skin of his teeth.  Conforto, especially, looks completely out of sync at the plate.

On the Diamondbacks's side, Goldschmidt also looked terrible at the plate, and the one time he got on base Thor picked him off first when he was not even looking to steal second.  It was embarrassing to see how lost Goldschmidt was on the field.  I wonder what the heck happened to him?  Just last year he hit 36 HRs, 120 RBIs, .297 BA, and .966 OPS.  This year he is 5/13/.205/.691 and he truly looked awful at the plate all day long.

Very glad you got such a great day for baseball and saw a W!

Re:Thor, they made a point during the broadcast about the fact that he doesn’t really stride, especially for a tall pitcher. I’ve always noticed that he also doesn’t really wind up. I often wonder how much velocity is in there if he used his lower half more.

Okay back to 5 over .500. Taking advantage of SOME even-more-anemic hitting teams.

I wonder if Vargas is coming around, or if it was the Marlins.

Good question on Vargas.  I tuned in late in the game, and he was running out of gas but the Marlins were also helping him out a lot.

I think Vargas meeting the Marlins was a good idea to get him started on the winning track. He did seem to get strikes from an umpire who has a tight idea of the strike zone. I think he had 7 k's. I do like seeing Conforto getting hits. It seems to work this way - Conforto starts getting basehits, particularly to the opposite field and then the homers come. At least that's what I'm hoping. Bruce looks lost at the plate, though. I'm liking this Guillorme and so far, I think Mesoraco is a great addition. The dude has a really quick swing. 

I have to admit I had no awareness of Mesaraco. His only full season was the year that the Reds hit the skids, and I was not paying much attention to them.  If he can stay healthy this may turn out to be the steal of the year in MLB.

ml1 said:
I have to admit I had no awareness of Mesaraco. His only full season was the year that the Reds hit the skids, and I was not paying much attention to them.  If he can stay healthy this may turn out to be the steal of the year in MLB.

Unfortunately he has an arm contusion after last night.

He actually runs pretty well given that he is 30 and has been a catcher his entire career.  Had one really superb year in 2014 (25 HR/80 RBI/.273 BA/.889 OPS) but other than that he is a Mendoza line flirting hitter who is a pretty darned good fielding catcher.  Still, a solid guy to catch 120 games if he stays healthy, as you said.  

Certainly he has contributed a lot more to the Mets than Harvey has to the Reds so far.

he's only had one healthy year, so it's hard to know what kind of player he would be if he avoided injury all season. 

They optioned Phillip who to Las Vegas?  

mfpark said:
They optioned Phillip who to Las Vegas?  

Roth. 

Phillip Roth was optioned. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!