Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Who says they have insurance on Ces?  I searched a bit the other day and could find no reference to it.  Would the companies that provide this kind of insurance do so for a pre-existing condition?

Would love to see new ownership. Does anyone know the attendance figures at CitiField over the last few years? I'm assuming the trend is a downward one for this season. Perhaps that could motivate the Wilpons to sell. Forbes rates the franchise as valued at $2 billion. It would take a consortium of investors to raise that kind of cash.

bub said:
Who says they have insurance on Ces?  I searched a bit the other day and could find no reference to it.  Would the companies that provide this kind of insurance do so for a pre-existing condition?

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/anthony-rieber/yoenis-cespedes-surgery-heels-1.20092788

Train_of_Thought said:
Ten combined runs scored and eight combined pitchers today and the game played in 2:18.

Day game. Fewer commercials. Period. That's the elephant in the room MLB doesn't like to talk about when discussing length of game issues. 

Going to Pittsburgh to see our boys this weekend... Ya Gotta Believe.

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
Ten combined runs scored and eight combined pitchers today and the game played in 2:18.
 Day game. Fewer commercials. Period. That's the elephant in the room MLB doesn't like to talk about when discussing length of game issues. 
Going to Pittsburgh to see our boys this weekend... Ya Gotta Believe.

Will you be wearing a two-sided Pirates-Mets Neil Walker jersey? Frank Tavares? Jason Bay? Kris Benson? Anna Benson?

ml1 said:
X-Man

Who, of course, triggers another...BIG GAME OLLIE!!

NotoriousEAM said:
Would love to see new ownership. Does anyone know the attendance figures at CitiField over the last few years? I'm assuming the trend is a downward one for this season. Perhaps that could motivate the Wilpons to sell. Forbes rates the franchise as valued at $2 billion. It would take a consortium of investors to raise that kind of cash.

I will check my couch cushions as soon as I get home.

psst...

3-game win streak!

mrincredible said:
psst...

3-game win streak!

They've scored more in the last 3 days than they have in deGrom's last 10 starts.

Cabrera goes for one minor league pitcher.  Another cash dump.

Fun moment on telecast tonight at Pittsburgh. Two fans standing for the camera, one in an A's tee and the other in an Indians tee. Simultaneously they turned around to show names "Darling" and "Hernandez" on the backs, respectively. Both number 17, in fact. Good stuff.

Franklyn Kilomé has a live arm. Maybe he’ll never harness it. He definitely won’t make watching the Mets any easier without the guy they’re losing. But he’s a good get in exchange for a two-month rental of Cabrera.

DaveSchmidt said:
Franklyn Kilomé has a live arm. Maybe he’ll never harness it. He definitely won’t make watching the Mets any easier without the guy they’re losing. But he’s a good get in exchange for a two-month rental of Cabrera.

Thanks.  That makes it a little easier.

FilmCarp said:

DaveSchmidt said:
 Thanks.  That makes it a little easier.

Meh. That’s what they told us about all of last year’s trades too. 

ml1 said:

Meh. That’s what they told us about all of last year’s trades too. 

The Mets reportedly fielded offers from several teams. Are you afraid they passed up a better prospect? Or was Cabrera’s value somehow greater than the market? Or would you have rather just kept him for the rest of the season?

if they had picked up salary on all the players, or even some of the players they've traded the past two years they would have received some more highly rated prospects. 

But given that they just dump salary, the guys they've received are the best we can expect. Guys who haven't achieved much yet, but have some physical tools that might eventually lead to some success. It's the best we can do, but it's not really anything to get excited over. 

Well, this Kilome dude is quite young and has some potential. He's from the Dominican so I wonder if Omar knew this kid and pushed for him. If so, I trust Omar's evaluation of Latin American talent. He's got an above average fastball and good curve. He doesn't have command of the strike zone, unfortunately, and can get hammered. Cabrera turned out to be a solid pickup for the Mets and really produced decent numbers. Plus he stayed on the field which can't be said for three-quarters of the team. 

sometimes these guys turn out to be terrific players. Noah Syndergaard was a minor piece of the Dickey trade. He was a guy with a thin resume but a high ceiling. I hope some of the live arms the Mets have traded for over the past couple of years pan out. But I also wish they’d occasionally take on salary in these deals in exchange for more highly evaluated prospects. 

FWIW, my son tells me that the chatter on the Phillies forums is that Kilomé was way too much to give up to rent Cabrera. 

I hope this is the one time the Mets came out with a useful player in one of these deals. I’m just going by their track record on trading for guys with “live arms.” It isn’t good. 

I saw Keith and Gary walking into PNC Park yesterday! 

Saw two games there over the weekend. GREAT ballpark and nice people. I'd definitely recommend the trip...

Soul_29 said:
Saw two games there over the weekend. GREAT ballpark and nice people. I'd definitely recommend the trip...

Agreed. In the last several years, I’ve been to, west to east, AT&T, Coliseum, Wrigley, Comerica, PNC, Nationals, Rogers, Camden Yards and Citi, and while they all have their charms, I’d rank PNC No. 2 behind Citizens Bank. (Which is No. 1 for biased reasons, but I really do like the open-concourses-and-stairwells brick design on its own merits, too.)

Looking forward to seeing Kauffman for the first time in a couple of weeks.

DaveSchmidt said:

Soul_29 said:
Agreed. In the last several years, I’ve been to, west to east, AT&T, Coliseum, Wrigley, Comerica, PNC, Nationals, Rogers, Camden Yards and Citi, and while they all have their charms, I’d rank PNC No. 2 behind Citizens Bank. (Which is No. 1 for biased reasons, but I really do like the open-concourses-and-stairwells brick design on its own merits, too.)

Very impressive.  But I can't help but feel a little sad that so many of our iconic parks are known by corporate sponsor names.  Sure, Wrigley has been that way forever, but once upon a time that was a rarity.

I've only been to CBP once for a concert.  It seems like a nice place, similar to Citi and PNC (all of which owe a debt to Camden Yards, among the first parks with the open concourse concept).  But if my experience at CBP was typical of a ballgame, I won't be going back soon.  It took roughly 90 minutes just to exit the parking lot.  The trip home took somewhere around 3 hours.  

Citi Field is a great place to see a game, but it suffers from its surroundings, which are dismal.  If I wasn't a Mets fan, I would find the total experience lacking.  Great ballpark, really good food options, but a long trek to a location that holds no other attractions.

PNC on the other hand, has a beautiful view of the city, and if you park on the downtown side, a really nice pedestrian approach over the Roberto Clemente Bridge.  The park itself is similar to many others, but the if you're sitting with a city view on a night with nice weather, and you enter and exit over the bridge to downtown, it's a great overall experience.  It's one of my favorite ballparks (not that I've been to that many).  Of course it's hard to beat Wrigley as well for the entire experience of Wrigleyville and the historic park itself.

ml1 said:

But if my experience at CBP was typical of a ballgame, I won't be going back soon.  It took roughly 90 minutes just to exit the parking lot.  The trip home took somewhere around 3 hours.  

Concerts there are often sellouts; Phillies games aren’t. Phillies games draw a lot of fans accustomed to getting there on the subway; concerts probably don’t.

After a game two Sundays ago, less than two hours, parking space to driveway.

mfpark

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:54am

DaveSchmidt said:

Soul_29 said:

Very impressive.  But I can't help but feel a little sad that so many of our iconic parks are known by corporate sponsor names.  Sure, Wrigley has been that way forever, but once upon a time that was a rarity.

I might be wrong but Wrigley Field was named after the Owner, Phil Wrigley.  Who also owned the candy & gum company besides the Cubs and ballpark.  They also had a small minor league stadium in LA that was the setting for the original TV Show - Home Run Derby in the 50's & 60's

ml1 said:
I've only been to CBP once for a concert.  It seems like a nice place, similar to Citi and PNC (all of which owe a debt to Camden Yards, among the first parks with the open concourse concept).  But if my experience at CBP was typical of a ballgame, I won't be going back soon.  It took roughly 90 minutes just to exit the parking lot.  The trip home took somewhere around 3 hours.  
Citi Field is a great place to see a game, but it suffers from its surroundings, which are dismal.  If I wasn't a Mets fan, I would find the total experience lacking.  Great ballpark, really good food options, but a long trek to a location that holds no other attractions.
PNC on the other hand, has a beautiful view of the city, and if you park on the downtown side, a really nice pedestrian approach over the Roberto Clemente Bridge.  The park itself is similar to many others, but the if you're sitting with a city view on a night with nice weather, and you enter and exit over the bridge to downtown, it's a great overall experience.  It's one of my favorite ballparks (not that I've been to that many).  Of course it's hard to beat Wrigley as well for the entire experience of Wrigleyville and the historic park itself.

Wrigley Field was named that after the Cubs were purchased by William Wrigley (chewing gum).  Before that it was Cubs Park.

ml1 said:

This is spot on. The experience OUTSIDE PNC Park is awesome. Walking back and forth over the bridge. Very lively scene. Citi Field falls short there. Unless you need some auto body work done...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.