Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Soul_29 said:
Joe Girardi. Next Mets manager. 
Discuss...

He may end up with the Cardinals.  

to Train of Thought:  rolleyes  smile 

wendy said:

Wait, doesn’t Gabe Kap already have a team to manage?

Oh, I get it.

DaveSchmidt said:

wendy said:
Wait, doesn’t Gabe Kap already have a team to manage?

Oh, I get it.

I didn't either at first but to paraphrase Sally Field: "He really likes me" ;-)

Aww heck...I just love everybody.

Train_of_Thought said:
Aww heck...I just love everybody.

Two game suspension! No special reason. I just feel as if I'm out of practice. No appeals! 

Steve Philips in the Post today:

Q: The Mets didn’t sell, arguing they could contend next year. Can they?
A: The Mets are in a really tough place. They are going to be faced with the decision of spending beyond a comfort level around the pieces they really love. Then if we win we could make up some of the money we’ve sunk in and if we lost we are just going to have to sell, sell, sell. That middle place, though, is where they are and it’s not a great place to be. If it’s business as usual — trying to break even — it’s going to be really hard for them to compete with some of the needs they have.

I think we had the same conversation last year about them only needing a couple of hitters as long as the pitching stays healthy. Now they need a catcher, 1B, 2B, 3B, at least one outfielder, at least one starting pitcher and 5 guys in the bullpen. Those are a lot of positions to fill, especially when the owners won't tell the GMs what their budget is. 

I thought Flores might be a goner after dropping the ball.  But deGrom instead took it out on the batter.

What about Edgardo Alfonzo as the Mets manager? He's a fan favorite and well-thought of in the organization. 

Is this the managers fault?

FilmCarp said:
Is this the managers fault?

IMHO, no.

This team is unable to hit, and the bullpen is weak.  I can't blame Calloway for either of those things.  You could have the best manager in baseball and this team would still be 15 games under .500.  I don't get all these Mets fans calling for a new manager.  They need a 1B, a 3B, another outfielder and 2 or 3 more arms in the bullpen before they need a new manager.

And they need new ownership. Even when the Wilpon's spend they are making the wrong decisions and from everything I hear, they are controlling this and not even telling the GM what he/their budget is. Perhaps if it were just Jeff but Fred can last a long time - a fairly healthy 81 or so years old. And perhaps Jeff has already drank the Kool Aid. I too don't think Calloway should be blamed and feel he should be given a few more years. 

Nice interview with Jeff McNeil during the pregame.  Talked about how often he makes contact.  Liking that!

Why am I watching? Wheeler, I guess...

1-0 through 3. Wheeler dealin'.

go figure.

Mets farm system now ranked 19th after entering season as fourth-worst

According to MLB Pipeline, the Mets now have four Top 100 prospects (Gimenez, Alonso, Kelenic, and Dunn). Only the Braves, Padres, Rays, and White Sox have more Top 100 prospects

and David Wright will begin a minor league rehab assignment on Sunday.

rhw said:
and David Wright will begin a minor league rehab assignment on Sunday.

whoa.  Didn't expect that.  If he makes it back to the Mets this season, I have to be at Citi Field for his first AB.

I am  convinced everything about him is an insurance scam.  I think without proof that the insurance only pays if he is trying to return.  If he didn't make an effort it would be considered retirement.  This way he gets his whole contract without the Mets paying.  Every year he is trying to return.  

If the Mets said to DW "Here is a lump sum check for the rest of your contract, you decide whether you want to keep playing" he'd retire the next day.  DW is a great Met and all that but its about the money.  I'm not saying I'd walk away from it but lets not characterize this as heroism.  His age and health condition are such that he is finished as a player.  It's a sad charade.

On the Facebook broadcast, they just played a medley of Mets-Phils "moments" -- including this:

Whew. I was afraid it was going to be a highlight from today’s mauling.

Nice to hear Whitey and Musser. Now, let’s play two.

Then two you shall have. Here's another that they showed...

This Jefferies fella once hit for the cycle at a game I attended. Funny thing, though — he was playing for that other team.

And all that inhospitality in New York, even though Philly has spotted the visiting Mets to a .689 winning percentage since 2012. Tsk, tsk.

Everything about Noah Syndergaard is stiff, right now.

Needs Pilates, Yoga, or something... Just like Yo! (Double entendre for those who speak Sp.)

Hats off to the Phils. Stolen bases are getting embarrassing.

I agree about Thor. Stiff would be the right way to describe him right now. If he's still bothered by the strained ligament on his finger why is he out there risking further injury in the first place? I realize he's only pitched 100 innings but you'd figure by now he's worked up to mid-season strength. Meanwhile Nola looked unhittable last night. Devastating curveball.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!