Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Loving Jeff McNeill!  Still watching.

jimmurphy said:

Agree. So nice to watch a guy with an actual approach in his at-bats. Can't believe we stranded him at third after his leadoff triple in the 7th. Ugh...

Train_of_Thought said:

jimmurphy said:
Agree. So nice to watch a guy with an actual approach in his at-bats. Can't believe we stranded him at third after his leadoff triple in the 7th. Ugh...

mostly that was bad luck. Two rockets hit right at infielders 

I am  glad to see Bautista gone.  I had nothing against him, but I want every opportunity for young guys to play.

I don't understand why they announced that they would not call Alonso up.  Is it just for major league control reasons?  Do September call-ups get a year credit?

FilmCarp said:
I am  glad to see Bautista gone.  I had nothing against him, but I want every opportunity for young guys to play.
  I don't understand why they announced that they would not call Alonso up.  Is it just for major league control reasons?  Do September call-ups get a year credit?

They apparently don't think he's ready to field at 1B on the MLB level.  He must be pretty shaky out there if Flores is a better fielding 1B option.

deGrom.

That's all. Just...

deGrom.

Train_of_Thought said:
deGrom.
That's all. Just...
deGrom.

AP summary of last nights game had a note at the end saying that deGrom has never gotten a win against the Dodgers in 8 career starts.  IMHO good reporting would have also noted that he was 2-0 against LA in the NLDS however.

Now that it doesn't matter the Mets are playing my type of baseball.  Singles, doubles, walks, one or two bombs.

The irony that they scored 6 runs on a day that deGrom was supposed to start but didnt is just too much. 

FilmCarp said:
Now that it doesn't matter the Mets are playing my type of baseball.  Singles, doubles, walks, one or two bombs.

part of it is just regression toward the mean. There was NO WAY the hitting on this team was really as bad as we were seeing in May and June. It isn't great, but it's at least mediocre. 

Certainly the Mets are far more enjoyable to watch than last month. Is this the Rosario that the Mets envision seeing? Nice to see Conforto getting his swing back. McNeil just hit himself on to next year's team. He's also playing a credible second base. I'm not happy to hear that Bruce will likely be the first baseman in 2019 to make room for Cespedes in the outfield when he returns. I really want to see Alonso and what he can do. The starting pitching has been magnificent. The bullpen, when given rest, can do a good job. I fear all of this will probably give ownership a reason to be parsimonious in the offseason. 

NotoriousEAM said:
Certainly the Mets are far more enjoyable to watch than last month. Is this the Rosario that the Mets envision seeing? Nice to see Conforto getting his swing back. McNeil just hit himself on to next year's team. He's also playing a credible second base. I'm not happy to hear that Bruce will likely be the first baseman in 2019 to make room for Cespedes in the outfield when he returns. I really want to see Alonso and what he can do. The starting pitching has been magnificent. The bullpen, when given rest, can do a good job. I fear all of this will probably give ownership a reason to be parsimonious in the offseason. 

If Cespedes comes back healthy and Bruce hits well, I think Bruce will be traded, provided Alonso looks ready at AAA.

with regard to Rosario, he's not yet where the Mets need him to be, but there are statistical reasons to feel hopeful about his latest improvements:

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/amed-rosarios-breakout-may-be-getting-started/c-292515000

I don't think that there is any market for Bruce in a trade, even if he returns to form.  A mid 30's power hitting corner outfielder.  He is overpaid for his expected level of production.  

FilmCarp said:
I don't think that there is any market for Bruce in a trade, even if he returns to form.  A mid 30's power hitting corner outfielder.  He is overpaid for his expected level of production.  

there's always a market, depending on what you're willing to accept in return.  If he's a 4th OF and backup 1B, the Mets don't need to keep him on the bench.  And a contender could find themselves with a need in the OF due to injury.  OTOH, if he's a productive hitter, maybe they just keep him and platoon with Alonso.

Well, knowing the Mets I have to disagree with you.  He has a three year deal, right?  So he won't get flipped as a rental next year because of the third year.  He will be overpaid as a 4th outfielder or a platooned ill fitting first baseman.  And the Mets don't like to eat salary on trades.   The anchor is really Cespedes, though.  You can't plan on anyone playing his position full time, because he is the "star", but you can't count on him playing, either.  

Cespedes is starting to look like a future Wright.

mfpark said:
Cespedes is starting to look like a future Wright.

I can’t resist dreaming of a trade: Can two Wrights make this guy?

If I make three Wright's do I end up with a lefty?

ml1 said:

NotoriousEAM said:
If Cespedes comes back healthy and Bruce hits well, I think Bruce will be traded, provided Alonso looks ready at AAA.
with regard to Rosario, he's not yet where the Mets need him to be, but there are statistical reasons to feel hopeful about his latest improvements:
https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/amed-rosarios-breakout-may-be-getting-started/c-292515000

Unfortunately, Bruce has virtually no trade value. Who is gonna take on that contract for an aging outfielder with little range and a streaky bat? 

That said, Alonso should be very good provided the Mets don't screw with him the way they did Dom Smith. Smith had better numbers in AAA last year than Alonso did this year and plays better defense. That's what makes Bruce and the 1B experiment that much more infuriating. Also Rosario is starting to look really good IMO. Very pleased with his progress. This team is not very far away from contention. With that three headed monster of a rotation in addition to some of the young hitters (especially Conforto who was really rushed back from injury), they should be good sooner rather than later. Then again, they're the Mets, meaning someone will likely need an amputation for something dumb.

Bruce has no trade value now.  But next summer if a contending team loses a couple of OF to injury, maybe he's worth a pitcher in high A.  At this moment he's a decent insurance policy if Cespedes doesn't come back until midseason (or at all).

Is Lagares coming back next year? Does he have one more year left on his contract? I can't recall.

NotoriousEAM said:
Is Lagares coming back next year? Does he have one more year left on his contract? I can't recall.

Yeah he’s back next year. But will probably be injured by mid-April as is the norm.

NotoriousEAM said:

he has one more year left.  with a team option for 2020

ml1 said:
Bruce has no trade value now.  But next summer if a contending team loses a couple of OF to injury, maybe he's worth a pitcher in high A.  At this moment he's a decent insurance policy if Cespedes doesn't come back until midseason (or at all).

I don’t disagree he’s a decent insurance policy. But they insist on playing him over young guys and that is an issue IMO. Especially when they’re doing it in favor of smith and now Alonso. I wish they’d spend a little money this winter to go get a real CF like AJ Pollock though. 

I just heard a guy on the radio suggest sending Zach Wheeler to the Brewers, with them sending prospects to Miami and Miami sending the Mets their catcher, Realmuto.  That actually sounds like a good deal to me.  I love Wheeler, but the Mets really need a steady above average catcher.  

FilmCarp said:
I just heard a guy on the radio suggest sending Zach Wheeler to the Brewers, with them sending prospects to Miami and Miami sending the Mets their catcher, Realmuto.  That actually sounds like a good deal to me.  I love Wheeler, but the Mets really need a steady above average catcher.  

Oh man I dunno. If you'd asked me this a year ago its a no brainer, but you can probably get Wheeler signed to a pretty team friendly deal and have a pretty high-end pitcher for a few years. That said, who knows if he can keep it up.

Wheeler is good, no question.  But you have to give good to get good.  And I'd be happy for him to go on and have a great career.  I like trades that work for everyone.

I just heard David Wright is going to call it quits after this season! Did I hear correctly?

NotoriousEAM said:
I just heard David Wright is going to call it quits after this season! Did I hear correctly?

yes.  He's playing one more game on Sept 29, and that's it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.