Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I had looked at the one guy's stats already so I won't say. I will say that one of them came up at 21 years old and has only had one year since 2015 where he didn't hit above .270 and that was the pandemic year. That said I want Marte more than Castellanos and if Castellanos is given a qualifying offer and they can't get Marte I would say to give Conforto a qualifying offer. 

Any preferences at GM and manager? I haven't heard anybody mentioned for GM. Just grab somebody from the Giants or Rays and get moving. 

jfinnegan said:

I had looked at the one guy's stats already so I won't say. I will say that one of them came up at 21 years old and has only had one year since 2015 where he didn't hit above .270 and that was the pandemic year. That said I want Marte more than Castellanos and if Castellanos is given a qualifying offer and they can't get Marte I would say to give Conforto a qualifying offer. 

Any preferences at GM and manager? I haven't heard anybody mentioned for GM. Just grab somebody from the Giants or Rays and get moving. 

you've cherry-picked BA, but to me I'd rather have the guy with the higher OBP, if they both have similar slugging.  All that said, Conforto and Castellanos are pretty much left and right-handed versions of each other.  (Although from 2019-21 Great American's park effect was 3rd best in MLB for hitters, while Citi was 19th).  And after his career year in '21, Castellanos is likely to get a lot more interest, and therefore a lot more $$$.

Probably true. I was going to cherry pick the Mets' average against lefties and righties, but they were actually similar. I guess it just seems to me that they can never hit a lefty. 

I agree with OBP being important if he's hitting ahead of Alonso. If he's taking a walk with McCann coming up to hit into a DP with runners on 1st and 3rd then I would prefer Conforto swing and get the runner in from 3rd. 

I may be suspended for this, especially as I don't know the suspension rules, but Morton impressed the hell out of me last night.  4 outs after breaking his leg.  I find myself rooting for the Braves.  

I'm rooting for the Braves as well. It has been a difficult playoffs. No teams in there that I like other than the Giants.

DanDietrich said:

I may be suspended for this, especially as I don't know the suspension rules, but Morton impressed the hell out of me last night.  4 outs after breaking his leg.  I find myself rooting for the Braves.  

I am a benevolent despot. No suspension. I also find myself rooting for the Braves. Great article in SI earlier this year about their manager. Lifer and a very likable guy. 

Now it's coming out that Cohen is performing the GM search with help from Christie and his son, and very little input from Sandy. He's going to end up at the 3rd tier of candidates pretty soon. 

Pedro Feliciano. Sad, only 45.

Conforto rejects qualifying offer. Syndergaard accepts.

Happy on both counts, although I wish Conforto well.

Maybe the new GM will get here in time for Thor's sheet-cake sendoff. 

Goddamit.

I heard about Thor on the radio and I just can't blame the Mets.  He's injured for two years, they offer him very good money for a year, with the understanding that if he's healthy he will earn a ton next off season, and he tells everyone how much he loves the Mets before leaving over two million bucks.  He's costing the Angels a pick as well, and he will certainly be on an innings limit for the year.  So if the Angels are finally in the playoff hunt he will be shut down on August.  I think Thor and the Angels will both regret this .

I love watching Thor pitch-that is, when he actually is healthy enough to pitch.  His one really good year was 2016--already five years ago!  In 2017 it was the torn lat; in 2018 it was the finger ligament; the last two years it was Tommy John surgery and then elbow inflammation where he could not throw a breaking ball.  The one healthy season in that mix was 2019 and he was fairly inconsistent.

Would I rather have him than not?  Certainly--when healthy he can be fear-inducing.  But it is not a terrible thing that he is going to the Angels, and the Mets get a second round pick in return and have more money to spend on their own free agents.

And I agree with DanDietrich that this is a high risk signing for the Angels.  That $21 million can easily be going to a guy who only gets 15 starts in 2022, and who knows if he will be able to throw breaking pitches to keep batters from sitting on his 99 mph fastballs?  The Angels are still in the market for another two starting pitchers, so Thor will be able to be a number three or four starter until and unless his arm strength and control round out.

I can't figure out the qualifying offer deal. Why don't they get a first round pick? I thought it was a first round pick. I wanted to keep him, but hopefully they'll put that money towards somebody that isn't on an innings limit and hasn't thrown a breaking pitch in a game in months.

Just heard this rant from Chris Russo.  Obviously, it's from August.

Russo Mets Rant

Take that money and add it to the pot for Stroman.  They need him.  If he moves on I'll be bummed.

DanDietrich said:

Take that money and add it to the pot for Stroman.  They need him.  If he moves on I'll be bummed.

yup.  this frees up $18 million that was already budgeted. 

I'm sorry Syndergaard is gone, he's great with the fans.  But it seems crazy for the Angels to take that kind of risk.  So I can't blame the Mets for not trying to match it.

I don't think it's a great move by the Angels, but only time will tell. 

I'm more intrigued by the move to hire Bill Eppler as GM. Based on the little I've read, he seems talented and the suggestion is he was hamstrung by ownership in LA. He's also best friend with David Stearns from Milwaukee, which may be setting things up for Eppler as GM and Stearns as President of Baseball next year. 

This sounds very Mets-ian.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-ghosted-noah-syndergaard-opened-door-for-angels-pursuit/

Guessing they wanted to minimize risk and get the draft pick.

I really disagree with the premise of that article.  He was with the Mets for 6 years.  He knows the players, he knows Alderson.  He shouldn't need a call every day saying how important he is.  The offer was fair and he opted for a different offer.  Of course, in the end California taxes are going to eat most of the difference in salary,  but this departure is entirely on him.

DanDietrich said:

He shouldn't need a call every day saying how important he is.

You’re right, he shouldn’t.

However, this is a guy who is very active on social media and dressed up as a superhero to strut around Times Square and see his fans.

Kind of an attention-hog, no?

Seems like some hand-holding might have been in order if they really wanted him to stay.

They may not have. 

Read an interesting perspective the other day, the author stated with the Met's lack of front office personal - and the very public difficulty they've had filling any management positions, why would Thor feel confident in how he would be used next season? Supposedly, the Angels were very aggressive in reaching out to him, providing a detailed plan in how they propose to bring him back to his previous level of pitching. The Mets on the other hand were silent. 

They made a reasonable offer. I don't think they're too upset with losing him. He'll be on an innings limit and hasn't thrown a breaking ball in competition in months. Not to mention even when healthy he hasn't been great since 2018. Another instance of him needing hand holding was when he was complaining about Ramos catching him. They were making a run for the playoffs and Ramos was one of their hottest hitters. 

Wow. Loup to the Angels for 2 years and 17M!

That's a lot of money for a middle reliever.  He had a great year. Good for him.  I keep hearing that owners resent Cohen because of his money, but it looks like Moreno should be their focus.

Thrilled as a Cardinals fan, but I haven't really followed him.  What say ye Mets fans about Matz?

Left-hander Steven Matz and the St. Louis Cardinals are in agreement on a four-year, $44 million contract, pending physical, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Matz is coming off a career-best season and has a chance to get to $48 million and will receive a signing bonus.

jeffl said:

Thrilled as a Cardinals fan, but I haven't really followed him.  What say ye Mets fans about Matz?

Left-hander Steven Matz and the St. Louis Cardinals are in agreement on a four-year, $44 million contract, pending physical, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Matz is coming off a career-best season and has a chance to get to $48 million and will receive a signing bonus.

He was very inconsistent with the Mets and had a truly awful 2020. Clearly found something with the Jays this year, to the point that the Mets wanted him back. Cohen tweeted some sour grapes this morning about Matz’ agent being unprofessional and not allowing the Mets to match. Sounds like players are opting to avoid the Mets ownership and front office.

Random thought: As Commissioner, I think it's time that I put together my "starting 9" by Opening Day. Top 9 Contributors to this thread! 

Soul_29 said:

Random thought: As Commissioner, I think it's time that I put together my "starting 9" by Opening Day. Top 9 Contributors to this thread! 

Who do you think you are?  Strawberry?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!