Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I’m struggling to come up with nine names of Mets fans who contribute. But then again, I always have the same trouble with Phillies starters.

jimmurphy said:

jeffl said:

Thrilled as a Cardinals fan, but I haven't really followed him.  What say ye Mets fans about Matz?

Left-hander Steven Matz and the St. Louis Cardinals are in agreement on a four-year, $44 million contract, pending physical, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Matz is coming off a career-best season and has a chance to get to $48 million and will receive a signing bonus.

He was very inconsistent with the Mets and had a truly awful 2020. Clearly found something with the Jays this year, to the point that the Mets wanted him back. Cohen tweeted some sour grapes this morning about Matz’ agent being unprofessional and not allowing the Mets to match. Sounds like players are opting to avoid the Mets ownership and front office.

I think it's as simple as guys don't want to sign someplace where they don't know who the manager is going to be.  I know the front office really runs the show these days, but the mgr is still the players' immediate boss.  They should just name Beltran and be done with it.  Everyone else involved in the Houston scandal is back working, so why is Beltran still being punished?  

4 years for Matz seems a bit much. I know he had a solid year with Toronto, but he always frustrated me when I watched him (it got to the point where I couldn't watch him). If Matz had any concerns about who the manager was going to be why would he have his agent contact the Mets? 

Matz was a talented head case.   Would unravel from adversity on the mound.

Soul_29 said:

Random thought: As Commissioner, I think it's time that I put together my "starting 9" by Opening Day. Top 9 Contributors to this thread! 

I'll no doubt be starting the season in A-ball.

Too many players are being short sighted.  The Mets want to build a "fighting force of extraordinary magnitude".  This takes time, considering that the organization was a wreck.  It may take a couple of years.  Can anyone name the movie I took that line from?

If I were a pitcher I don't see any reason why I would choose the Mets over the Cards. The Cards have a better player at every position other than SS. Not to mention they make the playoffs almost every year. 

If you want the big stage it's NY or LA.  

DanDietrich said:

Too many players are being short sighted.  The Mets want to build a "fighting force of extraordinary magnitude".  This takes time, considering that the organization was a wreck.  It may take a couple of years.  Can anyone name the movie I took that line from?

Without Googling -- the coward's way out -- I'm going to say "Enter the Dragon."

Moammar said:

Without Googling -- the coward's way out -- I'm going to say "Enter the Dragon."

close.  Kentucky Fried Movie.

I guess they're banking on the DH with the signing of Escobar for 2/$20mil. I don't mind that move, but would like an outfielder, starting pitchers and a manager.

jimmurphy said:

Starling Marte. 
grin

https://sports.yahoo.com/starling-marte-mets-agree-four-051035772.html

they spent a ton of money yesterday.  I hope this means they aren't going to be outspent for Stroman.  

I think they will make him a good offer.  I'm not sure if he will take it.  He was our best pitcher last year, but he dared to open his mouth and the racists pounced on him.  Look at  the players that so many fans want.  They are all white.  Baez and Stroman get bad mouthed for speaking out while white guys who speak out "show leadership".   In a market this big a minority of *********s can be a lot of people.

I think they'll make Stroman a good offer. They do seem to be going for Gausman more than Stroman though. Supposedly they wanted to sign Marte and Canha to show free agent pitchers that their defense is going to be improved.

jfinnegan said:

I think they'll make Stroman a good offer. They do seem to be going for Gausman more than Stroman though. Supposedly they wanted to sign Marte and Canha to show free agent pitchers that their defense is going to be improved.

Gausman is now off the board. 

Just over here lighting incense, chanting, sacrificing chickens after hearing of the offer to Scherzer.

Jon Gray is also signed by Texas. Pitchers are disappearing from the market. 

Part of me thinks the Mets are being used to drive up the price. But he'd be a great fit in NY. 

Moammar said:

Just over here lighting incense, chanting, sacrificing chickens after hearing of the offer to Scherzer.

I heard that he won't come here because we have too many leaf blowers. 

DanDietrich said:

I heard that he won't come here because we have too many leaf blowers. 

A downside to those infernal contraptions even I hadn't contemplated. Ban blowers! Sign Scherzer!

I can't believe I'm a little upset about them not getting Jon Gray. He gets hurt often. I suppose it's difficult to judge pitchers from Colorado. I would expect the Mets are contacting Stroman now. Scherzer, Stroman and Hill or Rodon, plus a couple of relievers and they're all set. And then they'll go on strike.

I'm looking for the future deals now.  I love Smith and McNeil, but the Mets should trade them for good prospects.  I hope Scherzer takes the deal the Mets offered.  And I still hope for Stroman.  Relievers can wait a while.  They are always hit or miss anyway.

If there's speculation that the Mets could be selling players for prospects in the wind, even a whiff about it, why would someone like Scherzer want to sign?

PeterWick said:

If there's speculation that the Mets could be selling players for prospects in the wind, even a whiff about it, why would someone like Scherzer want to sign?

If the players are expendable, I’d think it wouldn’t be much of an issue. Davis, McNeil, and Dom would be nice depth pieces to have in the minors, but I’m not sure whether they have options. 

Or maybe they'll come because they see they're getting rid of players like McNeil. Unless he completely changes his approach back to when he was hitting over .300 I don't see why they would want to keep a .250 hitter with limited power. It also irritates me how he has a temper tantrum every single time he gets out. I hope they keep Dom though.  

I'm leary about Scherzer.  He's been great. A stand up guy who earned his mega contract.  But he's 37 and the magic ends at some point.  

jimmurphy said:

If the players are expendable, I’d think it wouldn’t be much of an issue. Davis, McNeil, and Dom would be nice depth pieces to have in the minors, but I’m not sure whether they have options. 

All 3 have options. That's probably why they'll keep them.

ml1 said:

Holy cow. 

the best team money could buy. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!